Sunroofs!

Soldato
Sorry this will be a ramble.

I have set a sunroof as a criteria on a second car. The problem I am having is that they seem a lot less available on cars than I expected and they are really cutting down on the choices. Suddenly selections of models go from like a 100 to 5. As a bonus with me looking at Volvo S60 or S80 up to about £5000 you end up looking at less desirable engine models and automatics, it's the same with BMWs as well.

The question is am I being stubborn, is it worth the effort, should I give up and get used to having the window open or air con or try to hold out for the right car or non existent car!

I drive a convertible and it is great - fresh air all the time all year and have been happy for 10 years of fresh breezy motoring! Between my family we have 3 2 seater and no sensible cars and now find the need to have a 4 or 5 seater for 2 or 3 days a week, days out and holidays (potentially to Switzerland, France or even driving to Poland) !

Man of Honour
I only ever think of a sun roof now as a potential extra way out of the car in an emergency (and currently my roof bars make that kind of hard) - I just whack the climate control on and enjoy these days.

I've also fully embraced automatics :s at least for day to day motoring - it is surprising how such a relatively little thing makes a difference in terms of how relaxed I feel after commuting, etc.

Soldato
I really miss not having a sun roof on my car i have now :(:mad:
Most my cars i owned in the past had a sun roof..(I admit they didn't have air-con)

it's a very expensive extra and normally one the first places to get rust or leaks is why am guessing not many people spec a sun roof on there new cars these days
I Lost count on how many times i seem old cars with duck tape & sealant around the sun roof..

Last edited:
Soldato
Love the sunroof (or moonroof, which ever floats your boat!) on my c class. Even with cc, theres something about a nice summers day and having it open. i wasn't particular looking for one but it certainly added to its appeal.
automatics are the future as well but that may just be a sign of my impending age :D embrace it!

Man of Honour
automatics are the future as well but that may just be a sign of my impending age :D embrace it!

Have to say I love the automatic in my Navara (V6) - 99% of the time it is spot on, in sport mode I even get appropriate engine braking and after awhile you learn how to manipulate it. I was always a bit dubious of automatics and didn't enjoy earlier versions but fully converted on this one.

Caporegime
I only think of a sunroof as another thing to break, weight added to the top of the car which shifts the cars overall centre of gravity, and a rot trap when the car is getting on in years.

Hateful pointless things.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I liked the sun roofs that I had in my older cars and would have liked one in the family estate car. Solved now with a soft top as a second car.

Ref the gearbox, on the family car, auto for sure, much more relaxing. If anything, a Volvo SHOULD be an auto as they’re usually set up for chill mode (IMO).

Associate
Had a sunroof on my previous M135i, must be in the low percentages how many others I saw that had them when it came time to sell so was a good selling point. As others said though for most it just isn't desirable/a deal breaker so the number of used cars with them are fairly low!

Soldato
I think demand for them just vanished in the 90s.
agree - vectra one I had, was a bit small too ... the new ones with much large sections might change the feeling.

just a glass (moon?) roof might be a good compromise, providing it has a cover to stop it getting too warm,
tesla model 3 roof solution is interesting, is it lighter than steel ?, or is it combo of aerodynamics/look/manufacturing-costs that carry it.

Associate
Got one in my 09 Honda Accord EX saloon, the highest spec one. Brings back memories of the good old days when dad had one in his motors plus the kid loves it. :)

Man of Honour
Many, many years ago I got my first sunroof on a mk3 Golf VR6. It also had aircon so the best of both worlds. I've loved sunroofs ever since and aircon isn't a replacement for them. I still have one in my Corrado but unfortunately I've never been able to find a replacement used car with one since then. Speccing it on a new car also adds far too much cost. So I've resigned myself to opening the window instead, which is not a real substitute.

Soldato
Had a couple of cars with sunroofs, totally pointless IMO. Since then I've been able to be more choosy and exclude sunroof cars from shortlists, just hate the way they look, spoils the look of the roof.

Associate
Surprised by the response to sunroofs. Love mine on my 320i. Slide it open whenever the temps in the 20s and the sun's out. Feels great to drive around feeling the sun beating down on you, and being able to look up at the sky when at traffic lights etc. I've definitely appreciated it more during the lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom