M.2 Screw and Spacer

Associate
look in your motherboard box, that's normally where you find the little pack with maybe two in.

the drive itself wont come with it

Soldato
I just ordered the Samsung evo 1tb NVMe drive and this came with just the drive and nothing else.

as mentioned, the screw to secure the drive in place was in a tiny bag in my mobo box so I had to go dig that out. If you don’t have one google m.2 screw or NVMe screw and you should find some cheap enough or get in touch with the mobo manufacture and see if they can send one out

Soldato
OP
Can't order Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive because I have done my research as my motherboard not support PCI-e 3.0 x4 as it only support PCI-e 2.0 x4 (for sandybridge i7 2700k) as the motherboard and intel both suggest the only way to support PCI-e 3.0 x4 is upgraded Ivybridge i7 3770k otherwise the Samsung 970 EVO Plus will halves the speed on PCI-e 2.0 x4 with 1750/1600 MB/s instead of 3500/3200 MB/s.

Not worth it in my view. Unless I hook up 4 x SSD in Raid0 to get 550/520 x 4 = 2200/2080 MB/s but knowing Raid0 is high risky of total data loss.

Soldato
This is probably going to sound obvious but double check the mobo doesn't have a spacer and screw already in the mobo but screwed into the hole for the longest type of ssd, rather than your typical 80mm length one. It has been known for this to be missed even though it is staring you in the face :). If the board manufacturers fit the screw for you they will usually put it in the farthest hole to accommodate the longest ssd. Apologies if you have already looked for this, but it is worth mentioning just in case.

Associate
Can't order Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive because I have done my research as my motherboard not support PCI-e 3.0 x4 as it only support PCI-e 2.0 x4 (for sandybridge i7 2700k) as the motherboard and intel both suggest the only way to support PCI-e 3.0 x4 is upgraded Ivybridge i7 3770k otherwise the Samsung 970 EVO Plus will halves the speed on PCI-e 2.0 x4 with 1750/1600 MB/s instead of 3500/3200 MB/s.

Not worth it in my view. Unless I hook up 4 x SSD in Raid0 to get 550/520 x 4 = 2200/2080 MB/s but knowing Raid0 is high risky of total data loss.

The MB running this CPU won't have an M2 slot will it?

Permabanned
This is probably going to sound obvious but double check the mobo doesn't have a spacer and screw already in the mobo but screwed into the hole for the longest type of ssd, rather than your typical 80mm length one. It has been known for this to be missed even though it is staring you in the face :). If the board manufacturers fit the screw for you they will usually put it in the farthest hole to accommodate the longest ssd. Apologies if you have already looked for this, but it is worth mentioning just in case.

Yup, my mobo had the screw already screwed in.

Soldato
Sorry to just drop in to the thread, but where can I buy a screw for a nvme drive, the one I had got lost and the rainforest site is really confusing when looking for them with comments saying that they don't fit.

I don't need 10 quids worth or a pack of 50 either, any help appreciated

Permabanned
Sorry to just drop in to the thread, but where can I buy a screw for a nvme drive, the one I had got lost and the rainforest site is really confusing when looking for them with comments saying that they don't fit.

I don't need 10 quids worth or a pack of 50 either, any help appreciated

I don't think I am allowed to link to Amazon. So search for m.2 screw kit. You may need the standoff too.

Soldato
I've seen the one you mean, but it is 8 quid. I checked ocuk and they don't have them that I can see on the site

Did you ever find any cheap?

Having to do a repair for a friend & they don't have the screws & risers anymore. I don't have any spare so I'm on the look out for some but unsure which will fit on this motherboard Asus Prime B350M-A, Are the sizes all standardised so I can buy any?

Soldato
Did you ever find any cheap?

Having to do a repair for a friend & they don't have the screws & risers anymore. I don't have any spare so I'm on the look out for some but unsure which will fit on this motherboard Asus Prime B350M-A, Are the sizes all standardised so I can buy any?
Yes they are standard
Think m3 x 3mm screw
If I am wrong about the size sorry
But it's under £1.50 including postage for 8 of those off eBay
So worth the risk
If you have a motherboard that allows fitting 3d printed parts pretty sure even
Though they look different they work
Screws and stand offs
M3 x 3mm can be found if you have a scrap laptop you can dismantle

Back
Top Bottom