MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
All my fans are PWM, the MSI dragon software that comes with the mobo is mainly concerned with the lighting and havent used afterburner for years, i prefer to set up in BIOS and have none of the bloat running (i suppose i dont have to worry about as much now with my new kit!!)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is your mouse that bad inside the ClickBIOS then? I know on my last couple of MSI boards the fan control curves have been a bit finicky to set up, but got it sorted after spending a few minutes getting the feel for it.

Soldato
Yeah its poor, bit of a shame becase the board is cracking.
I wanted the wifi/bluetooth and the VRM's are the best at the price point, its black and understated and i havent seen the chipset fan spin yet.
Its boosting my 3800x to the proper freq out of the box, the voltages seemed a bit high to me so ive limited it to 1.325 in the bios.
My sabrant gen 4 is hitting advitised speeds and ram xmp at 3200 32G out of the box.

I cant compare it to other AM4 boards as this is my first one but i have been lurking and planning my upgrade since Ryzen come out and when i saw the tomahawk and the B550 offerings i fancied this, the 3800x is £280 at the moment and seemed a bit of a no brainer, DDR4 is cheap and the sabrant drives are good value, i bought a 5700 for £280 a couple of months ago, so the new system is pretty balanced and ive not got a system again that i can update bits at a time with out it being lopsided.

Associate
Having a quick look at the YouTube’s and I have to agree with Jay: The expensive B550 boards make no sense over X570.

yes, there are bad X570 boards but even the X570 Tomahawk isn’t as expensive as some B550 models.

Soldato
Having a quick look at the YouTube’s and I have to agree with Jay: The expensive B550 boards make no sense over X570.

yes, there are bad X570 boards but even the X570 Tomahawk isn’t as expensive as some B550 models.

The tomahawk should be under £200 and the B550 should be £30-40 more expensive than the B450 but we are living in strange times so pricing is up in the air, the pricing of GPUs is mental at the moment and that is holding back PC gaming, we should be having 2080 perfomance at £350, we really need AMD to shake up the GPU market like they have on the CPU side.
Can you imagine the 20 core CPUs we will have from Intel in a couple of years its going to be good"!

Caporegime
Ok I just made an executive decision and cancelled my X570 Tomahawk order. Delivery time was late July for the X570 Tomahawk so I just boûght a MSI MEG X570 UNIFY instead that I found in stock for £255 (I don't pay UK VAT) that will arrive July 1st or so. Ok I paid 20% more, but at this point I do not care, I want to build my PC. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Should be an excellent board @Richdog. I hadn't seen the MEG Unify much lower than £300.
Thanks, it does indeed look like a very well featured board. As for the price I live in a non-Eu country so don't pay UK VAT, which has it's benefits when ordering from a certain giant international online retailer that deduct taxes automatically and has very cheap shipping (I am sure you can guess who).

The X570 Unify actually costs £290 where I live (there''s hardly any stock so prices are higher) so it's a bit of a bargain actually!

Associate
@MSIUK Support

Hi there,

no worries here you go:

Integrated-Screen-Shot-X570-Tomahawk.png

Only an option for disabling LAN. Thanks for the swift reply, love the board!

Same for me, unable to disable to the WIFI in bios - using default BIOS.

Soldato
probably, why ass to one when you can add to all, MSI do seem to update regularly, but the BIOS for the toma570 is still very young, i was hoping for an update before i build my machine this week, so hopefully something is out swiftly

Associate
Good for you and give us soine details of your experiences ASAP please! :)

So got it built over the weekend and have to say I am very impressed looks amazing and had no issues with the install. Bios is nice and easy to use as well.

I have installed a 3700x and have turned on PBO and the CPU has settled at 4.2Ghz not sure it if is worth messing with any further to get a bit more out of it?

Currently got 16gb of Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz installed as I got it cheap off a friend who had bought it but decided to sell his rig instead. Out of the box it has two XMP profiles 4266Mhz and 4400Mhz. Just for curiosity I tried both of them without messing with any for the settings and 4266Mhz worked straight off the bat however 4400Mhz would not boot.

Now I know this is not the ideal ram for a Ryzen due to the way infinity fabric works but like I said I got it cheap. Rather than swapping it for some 3600Mhz I will have a play with the timings when I get a chance and see if I can find a sweet spot. Has anybody got any recommendations I was thinking perhaps something like

3733Mhz 1:1 IF.
16 - 14 - 14 - 24

PS Please ignore the crappy 580 Nitro in there at the moment I am waiting for the new Nvidia Ampere cards to be released

8bsBvAV
Gcz9LiE
7isobSc.jpg pvYI2Aa.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom