The Sinner

Caporegime
No thread? Apologies this won't be the greatest intro post.

Anyway the 3rd series is out on Netflix today. We really enjoyed the first two.

I might give this a go tonight if we decide not to watch 'Force of Nature'.

Associate
Just my opinion, but the third series was complete trash. I was completely switched off by the last couple of episodes. I haven't watched something as bad as this in a while.

I loved the first two though.

Soldato
@Participant I hope you skipped the movie lol (presume you mean the one with Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock?) As much as I love SB, Forces of Nature was boring. I watched it years ago and didn't think much of it, tried again recently and it only lasted about ten mins

I've found season 3 of The Sinner to capture my attention more than season 2 did. I did switch back to Ozark and a random movie over the last 2 days just because I needed something different but the last few episodes, I found, have been rather interesting :)

Did anyone else twig who plays Sonya? I knew I recognised the face but had to Google it
Jessica Hecht who played Susan in Friends :)

Soldato
Just my opinion, but the third series was complete trash. I was completely switched off by the last couple of episodes. I haven't watched something as bad as this in a while.

I loved the first two though.

I'm 3 episodes in and it's like an episode of Columbo.

This is a real disappointment after the mystery of the first two.

Yes definitely nowhere near as good as the previous two. I understand that they might not have wanted to become formulaic about the series but it wasn't as gripping and I ended up enduring it vs enjoying it.

GJM

GJM

Associate
Another vote for series 3 being trash.
1st was great, 2nd found to be quite hard going, this new one was just painful. Plot holes and characters doing unbelievable things abound. Were we supposed to have some sort of sympathy for the antagonist or Ambrose at any point in this? Seems to be a trend in recent TV where I'm presuming the show runners are wanting us to feel some sympathy or understanding with the antagonist without putting in any of the leg work. We're just told that we're supposed to have some sort of 'feels' for the imperfect characters when all I want is for them to get over themselves. Plus points for shoe-horning in 'white privilege' as well in a throwaway 20 seconds bit of script.

Soldato
Yeah I liked series 1 and two was watchable - this I really struggled with. I was going to give up after 6 episodes but I read critic reviews giving it high rating so stuck with it. To be honest I really didn't care about the Matt Bomer protagonist character, I can't even remember his name, at all. The idea of his behaviour becoming so unravelled so quickly was fairly jumping the shark IMO. I think this is another case of flogging the horse well and truly past it's sell by date which is a pity as it tarnishes the rest of the series

Soldato
I dunno what season we started watching, whatever the most recent on Netflix, awful.

We are going to abandon it after 2 episodes.

I thought the first few series were quite good. Shame.

Soldato
I've watched the first three and currently two episodes from finishing the fourth. It's not my usual type of thing to watch but there is something about the way the mystery unfolds that has me hooked everytime.

Associate
Do agree, season 3 as @Lartyconshayo mentions, well... just goes bonkers!

I vowed never to bother watch anymore of The Sinner! Nothing more frustrating than sitting through 6, 8, 10 hours of TV for it to tank at the end.

Makes me think if only I had invested the time in another series! Fortunately, we are spoiled for choice nowadays.

S4 appeared and like a moth to a flame, just like @Relentless81 says - its how the mystery unravels so currently watching!

Soldato
S4 is better than season 3 but still not great.

Season one really set the bar and they should have stopped there. It was brilliant.

One thing I never get in these type of shows is that you've got a guy consistently solving difficult crimes, so why isn't he given leeway by his bosses or taken seriously when giving his theories. It just seems lazy writing. Yet is pretty much happens in every detective series.

Soldato
I hate what has happened to this show. Whilst I agree season 4 is better than 3, the writing is just mental. The show's overall writing quality has slipped so badly, Pullman is a decent actor, hell most of the actors have been decent. But it's all let down by disappointing story telling and scripts. Pullman's character of going over the edge and getting too involved just get's tiresome as it's been done so many times now, it's predictable and more to the point; it never really amounts to anything in the story that carries forward.

Looks like they've cancelled the show now, so no season 5... For the best, sadly. Such a wasted opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom