• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon 3000G Vs Ryzen 3200G?

Soldato
This is for a basic HTPC build.

The most the unit will be doing is Plex streams (client, not encoding) Youtube, iPlayer etc.

Is the 3200G worth DOUBLE the price of the 3000G for this build? £40 Vs £80.

2c4t Vs 4c4t

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I have no idea about Plex streams but in gaming the 3200G is literally twice the cpu and then some. Actual cores are better than ht.

That is the thing, for the use, it is worth spending twice the money for twice the performance if your not using the performance?

OR, is it likely Youtube and the likes will need more power in the near future with higher resolution streams to decode etc?

Soldato
It depends if your plex software is using the Hardware Acceleration of your htpc to stream, as effectively you would be offloading the cpu workload onto the gpu. 3000g has the same hardware acceleration block as the 3200g, so only difference is if your software uses a hybrid approach for decoding, or just cpu cores.

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation and as a long time Intel user i find the AMD line up and price range confusing (for the best bang for buck) as there is a mixture of old and new architect with names and refreshes , the 1600AF is now over priced and the new 3100 is too close in price to the 3600 which you now often see on a special deals.

Soldato
Yeah, it's pain how the price of the boards has shot up.

Anyone heard of any rumours on a new 4000 dual core?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I went with the 3200G in the end.

Was not an easy choice as I would have preferred to have a passive heatsink but with more strenuous decoding becoming the norm, made sense to go with the 3200G as it has more "omph".

The fact the 3000G is only 35w made it a difficult choice but I had to make a decision one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom