LG 38WN95C preorders

Associate
OP
Yeh seems like OcUK got them a lot sooner than other places. I just had my ordered placed elsewhere delayed to 8th July. Think I would have snapped one up off OcUK but their dead pixel policy is getting to me.

Associate
Mine comes in Friday from Amazon (united states). Have the business model on order for cheaper, trying to figure out ETA on that before I decide which to keep.

Soldato
All set, arrived and no dead pixels. Very happy so far, seems like a quality panel and the OSD is nicer than pretty much anything else I've used. Freesync is lovely on it although I'm struggling to push over 100 FPS in most of the games I play :) Thunderbolt connectivity is super handy for work, very pleased with that. However, I didn't realise that the USB 3.0 hub downstream is via the USB-C/Thunderbolt. So I've ordered an additional switch to plug my KB/Mouse into the PC and monitor. That way I can have the same devices with my workstation and my work laptop when that's hooked up via USB-C.

Associate
All set, arrived and no dead pixels. Very happy so far, seems like a quality panel and the OSD is nicer than pretty much anything else I've used. Freesync is lovely on it although I'm struggling to push over 100 FPS in most of the games I play :) Thunderbolt connectivity is super handy for work, very pleased with that. However, I didn't realise that the USB 3.0 hub downstream is via the USB-C/Thunderbolt. So I've ordered an additional switch to plug my KB/Mouse into the PC and monitor. That way I can have the same devices with my workstation and my work laptop when that's hooked up via USB-C.

if you have a nvidia card, can you test if the variable refresh rate is working with a game running fullscreen windowed mode please?

Associate

Do you have any pealing issues on any of the corners of the display? (it looks like a screen protector misalignment, but its not meant to be pealed) Two people have reported issues with that on Reddit. I believe they got their's from Amazon US.

Also, I don't know if you have any HDR games or an Nvidia card but can you test to see if adaptive syncs (Gsync/Freesync) work with HDR enabled? There's been some conflicting information about that...

k8aaohnkbk651.jpg

Soldato
Sorry, I don't have an Nvidia card to test with :( I do have that peeling but it's nowhere near that bad, honestly hadn't noticed it until I looked for it:

xz8WMwZ

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, I don't have an Nvidia card to test with :( I do have that peeling but it's nowhere near that bad, honestly hadn't noticed it until I looked for it:

xz8WMwZ

When running sRGB clamped mode, can you still adjust overdrive settings? I heard the 34GN locks to 'fast' which may not be optimal and cause overshoot. Would be annoying as hell if they did this here too.

And yeah, 'peeling' (it's actually just how the edge is rounded on the panel but not the AG coating) is a common issue, has been for years. Really shoddy of them tbh.

Soldato
It's really not clear to me how the USB hub on the back of the monitor is supposed to work, since there is no downstream port. Atm I'm using a DP 1.2 cable (1.4 cable coming soon) into my main rig. Plugging peripherals into the USB ports at the back does nothing. I've tried the same with my Linux-based Thunderbolt/USB-C compatible laptop hooked up with the supplied cable and power+display is fine but still no peripherals. No manual with this monitor, which leaves me in the dark.

Soldato
Got the answer: The response time settings are indeed locked when running sRGB mode.

Urgh. Based on rtings review of the 34GN, you want to use 'normal' because 'fast' introduces overshoot, yet that's what it locks at!

Soldato
Btw, very, very happy with this screen so far. Only one question though - I'm using a DP 1.4 cable and it now automagically goes into HDR in some games. These games don't have a way to turn that off. Unfortunately I find that sometimes HDR is *too* bright if you're sat at a normal desk close to the monitor. One example is HLL, looks fantastic in HDR but just too bright for me :D

Associate
Stock of the WN seems rather scarce at the moment.. Haven't seen it pop up anywhere and competitor sites are saying October.

Anybody know when we are likely to get more stock?

Associate
I think like the GN950, they had an initial batch and that's it for awhile. This happened with the GL950 last year. Some lucky people were able to get it in July/August but it didn't officially launch en masse until November/December.

I think the 2nd batch will be the "launch" batch, hitting around fall. You'll see the official LG sites with a price and availability. I don't know why LG does this but its annoying. Maybe the 1st batch are guinea pigs to see what they need to fix anything if they can (firmware etc).

Associate
i've just received my unit and i was testing the gsync compatibility and it works with my 1080ti, but the "fullscreen windowed" option is less smooth than "fullscreen" in games. don't get me wrong, there's no "tearing" in either, but the perceived smoothness is worse in fullscreen windowed.

my AW3418DW doesn't give a **** whether it's fullscreen windowed or regular fullscreen, it's smooth at all times. I think this might be thanks to the gsync module, can anyone confirm this?

windowed fullscreen is pretty important to me, i tab out of the mmo while playing a lot and it's just stupid to have to see the screen flicker while changing in and out of fullscreen all the time, not to mention it takes like half a second.

Back
Top Bottom