Considering LG OLED & LG Sound Bar, good choice or any alternatives please?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

As were currently renovating a second property and moving in November/December I am also refreshing the TV etc and am pretty much settled on:

LG C9 or CX 55" OLED:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...ed-tv-with-google-assistant-10193150-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...ogle-assistant-amazon-alexa-10205970-pdt.html

LG Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Surround speakers:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...olby-atmos-google-assistant-10191270-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...ker-kit-10178398-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

We have decided on a 55" as we are not wall mounting and are not sitting too far from TV so 55" is more to our preference.

Any real advantage to the CX model over last years C9?

Like look of the LG Sound bars, want ATMOS and surround support but again going with SL8 over SL10 simply as the SL10 is 56" long which is 10" longer then our TV stand.

Any alternatives to LG for the soundbar just like idea of them as they have google assistant which we want and seem well-reviewed and competively priced as be £600 for the set.

Am also happy to wait for Oct/Nov for any BF deals that LG and sites may have or consider alternative brands if recommended.

I am no audiophile just want good surround sound with good bass, clear voice and I know the LG TV is amazing as brother has the 55" B9 and cousin has the 65" GX model.

Caporegime
If you want the C9 then best get to it, they aren’t sticking around for long. And at around £1200 it’s too good a deal to pass up on

I picked up one from richer sounds a couple of weeks ago and got them to price match another place so paid £1100 all in. Within a few days richer sounds had no stock and still haven’t I think. So they are being snapped up pretty quickly.

Really impressed with the screen and quality. 55” is perfect for my front room, thought I’d save myself a few hundred by going for the c9 rather than the cx version which slightly improves on the c9 iirc.

OcUK Staff
OP
If you want the C9 then best get to it, they aren’t sticking around for long. And at around £1200 it’s too good a deal to pass up on

I picked up one from richer sounds a couple of weeks ago and got them to price match another place so paid £1100 all in. Within a few days richer sounds had no stock and still haven’t I think. So they are being snapped up pretty quickly.

Really impressed with the screen and quality. 55” is perfect for my front room, thought I’d save myself a few hundred by going for the c9 rather than the cx version which slightly improves on the c9 iirc.

Thanks did not realise C9 was disappearing and guess it makes sense with CX being replacement so will keep my eyes out for any deals at around £1100 only other option will CX be discounted come Black Friday?

Caporegime
Thanks did not realise C9 was disappearing and guess it makes sense with CX being replacement so will keep my eyes out for any deals at around £1100 only other option will CX be discounted come Black Friday?
You never know but I would imagine some price cuts on the CX later in the year as the new models will be out soon enough.

Soldato
Better quality and sounding, fewer number speakers (over more and less quality) subwoofer and amplifier, more connectivity, upgradability, ability to replace faulty items without discarding everything else, standardised audio gear...

Something like Wharfedale diamond 9.0 with Wharfedale sw-150, with cheapest Yamaha avr. Own those Wharfedale speakers and sub, and excellent for they money..

Soldato
Renovating? Find space on the wall for 65" minimum. As you say you want Atmos, renovating is the perfect time as really the speakers need to be in the ceiling. Perfect time to design a dream system.

OcUK Staff
OP
Renovating? Find space on the wall for 65" minimum. As you say you want Atmos, renovating is the perfect time as really the speakers need to be in the ceiling. Perfect time to design a dream system.

As I said I am not an audiophile just want something half decent that is clear and can give a good rumble. I do have some Sonos stuff in the house but am struggling to find how the £1800ish kit from Sonos the Arc, Sub and surround kit will be over a £1000 better to my ears over the LG and as to celing mounted speakers, again really not willing or wanting anything that extreme.

@Gibbo the LG 55" CX is currently on offer for £1599 at a few places, just ordered myself one last night from Box.co.uk ;)

They're also throwing in a free £80 LG portable bluetooth speaker (well reviewed actually after having a quick look) and 5 year warranty too. No brainer imo

https://www.box.co.uk/soloco/OLED55CX5LB-LG-OLED55CX5LB-55-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-HDR_2913299.html

Thank you.
It is either gonna be C955 or CX55 plus the SL8YG and SPK8 rears, so either a case of finding best deal now or wait until Black Friday.

Soldato
I would get the 65, its amazing how quickly you get used to the 55 and it will seem small pretty quickly.

I listended to quite a few soundbars and they are in most cases 'OK'. Its a big comprimise on sound quality for conveniance sake. Much better than TV audio, but dont expect to amazed.

The Dahli soundbar was prob the nicest sounding one under 1k I listened to. It doesnt do all the atmos stuff but then I would question just how much that actually works on a soundbar anyway. It also looks nice which helps the wife acceptance factor.

Soldato
When i asked on here before Christmas about the LG sound systems, and was told to avoid them. They make great TV's but are not very good with their sound tech.

Stick with a better brand, i went with a Sonos in the end.

Soldato
When i asked on here before Christmas about the LG sound systems, and was told to avoid them. They make great TV's but are not very good with their sound tech.

the 2020 models go mostly fixed

the new sn11g is currently the best Atmos bar on the market for convincing surround effects and beats out Samsung, who previous had the best soundbars

That being said, both LG and Samsung sound terrible when playing music

Caporegime

problem is things change so much every year. and as for sound tech sonos is the worst in every category bar wireless.

OcUK Staff
OP
Well at the moment I use a NAD AMP and a pair of tall floor standing Liberty speakers which gives a good stereo sound and solid bass but it’s around 15 years old and other system is a 2.1 Sony speaker setup with 160W sub that to my ears sounds good.

If the LG setup gives me an improvement I’ll be happy I’m not after crazy sound system just an improvement on what I have.

Soldato
Well at the moment I use a NAD AMP and a pair of tall floor standing Liberty speakers which gives a good stereo sound and solid bass but it’s around 15 years old and other system is a 2.1 Sony speaker setup with 160W sub that to my ears sounds good.

If the LG setup gives me an improvement I’ll be happy I’m not after crazy sound system just an improvement on what I have.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-htr2071-black.html
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/speaker-packages/wharfedale-dx2-black.html

Back
Top Bottom