noob question: EK classic kits and future loop expansion

Associate
Hi guys,

I've been a long time AIO user and PC builder and I'm starting to think about going for my first custom loop for silence and the aesthetics. Also I just fancy a new project.

I think I have a sound idea of components I need, still a little unsure on fittings and tubing diameters which is why I was thinking about ordering this kit:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...360-d-rgb-cpu-watercooling-kit-wc-9z0-ek.html

With the plan to use that to just cool my CPU and to learn the ropes with open loop cooling untill later in the year, when I was thinking about getting a new RDNA2/Ampere GPU and adding that to the loop along with another 360mm rad.

My case is a lian-li 011 dynamic so space for radiators isn't an issue, my main concern was will the pump/reservoir combo be strong enough to add a graphics card and second 360rad later?

If not are there any other kits you could suggest or should I just buy components individually?

Cheers

Associate
I don't know enough about the pump to answer that, but in my opinion you need a quality pump at the heart of a loop with twin rads and multiple cooling blocks.

Soldato
The ideal scenario is to have two separate loops, one for the CPU and another for the GPU. Probably better served building your own, a 360 rad for the CPU is fine with any D5 res/pump combo in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Ok a bit more research on that kit, it seems the pump/reservoir combo is a 6W unit which can do 250L/h which i guess would be too weedy to handle a second block and rad.

Any suggestions on a good res/pump that would be up for handling 1 gpu 1 cpu and 2x360 rad?

Associate
I started with this kit https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360 to cool both my 3900X CPU and 2080TI GPU and it kept both components around 50 degrees C during testing with Heaven Benchmark. After a couple of months of data logging I bought a second EK SE360 radiator and put that in the loop also. The temps of the components dropped 2-3 degrees C during benchmarking. I was surprised at how good the kit by itself was with those two components.

Associate
OP
I started with this kit https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360 to cool both my 3900X CPU and 2080TI GPU and it kept both components around 50 degrees C during testing with Heaven Benchmark. After a couple of months of data logging I bought a second EK SE360 radiator and put that in the loop also. The temps of the components dropped 2-3 degrees C during benchmarking. I was surprised at how good the kit by itself was with those two components.

That's really good to know cheers, I've also seen there is a distro plate for my case which acts as a pump/res, it's designed to go where the side radiator mounts. Seems a little pricey but looks awesome and has a 1000L/h flow rate pump, might be worth investing in if i'm going to keep the case for a long time.

Man of Honour
Any suggestions on a good res/pump that would be up for handling 1 gpu 1 cpu and 2x360 rad?

There are basically only 2 pumps on the market the smaller DDC type ( the square one ) and the larger D5 type ( the round one ).

The D5 would be your choice for 2 blocks and 2 rads.

Reservoirs, well thats purely down to size and looks really.

Any of the EK D5 pump/res combos would be fine, and despite what someone above said, i have no problem recomending them.

Associate
In reference to oldbanana's comments. I had an issue with my pump after around 7 weeks whereby the RPM signal line from the pump failed. The pump was still working but as I was data logging while overclocking my system I picked up on the fault straight away. I contacted EK and emails were replied to immediately. A replacement unit was dispatched and faulty goods returned after I had fitted the replacement part at no cost to myself. It took 10 days to arrive but this was just as the Covid pandemic broke out. The EK support was EXCELLENT and I have had no other problems with any of the kit. Based on my experience with EK and the cooling performance of the kit I would not hesitate in recommending them.

Back
Top Bottom