Katie Hopkins Sacked

Permabanned
So do you include those 13 Tory MPs who joined straight away as being racists as well then? Personally I think its a good marker now.

I'd say MP's listening to a media figure in the UK with a million followers is an astute move, the liberals are always saying one should not turn a deaf ear to contrary opinions. Or know your enemy perhaps? BLM have widened Ms Hopkins audience substantially, probably confirming what she and others have been saying for a long time as sage and worthy of more attention.

One could look on the bright side and be pleased those you scream racist at have moved to a low view count echo chamber is another facet to this banning from Twitter

Caporegime
Assuming all the new Parler users had active twitter accounts, That's over 1% in just a few days - That's incredibly high in the social media landscape. Unprecedented even?

Not really. How fast do you think Facebook and Twitter were whipping up users in their eras of peak growth? Parler is still a very small platform and will probably remain so; which mainstream figures are going to want and go and join the platform that has now painted itself as "Like Twitter, but for racists"?

Soldato
Not really. How fast do you think Facebook and Twitter were whipping up users in their eras of peak growth? Parler is still a very small platform and will probably remain so; which mainstream figures are going to want and go and join the platform that has now painted itself as "Like Twitter, but for racists"?

No one on Parler really gives a **** if Stephen Fry doesn't join I don't think

Soldato
If Parler is so great, why did Katie only switch when she was booted off Twitter?

Edit: wasn't "Gab" the favourite platform among the "free speech" types?

Last edited:
Soldato
She has 177k followers on Parler, it's obviously not as big as Twitter and probably never will be, but it's not like they're mutually exclusive platforms.

Soldato
And in a shocking turn of events to absolutely no-one - Parler is now increasing it's user base users with approx 200k joining from the UK alone over the past few days and the numbers are increasing daily - Slow clap everyone, you beat racism by giving it a bigger, safer space to use with no oversight but hey, at least you can't see it on Twitter so it's gone away, right :rolleyes:

https://www.newstatesman.com/scienc...-katie-hopkins-social-media-twitter-alt-right

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ight-wing-twitter-katie-hopkins-a9579241.html

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/parler-app-twitter-alternative-trump

It is handy, because now we all can tell where the racists and bigots are concentrated :)

Caporegime
I'd say MP's listening to a media figure in the UK with a million followers is an astute move, the liberals are always saying one should not turn a deaf ear to contrary opinions. Or know your enemy perhaps? BLM have widened Ms Hopkins audience substantially, probably confirming what she and others have been saying for a long time as sage and worthy of more attention.

One could look on the bright side and be pleased those you scream racist at have moved to a low view count echo chamber is another facet to this banning from Twitter

Well since one of the Tories who have joined there says its really a far right echo chamber and it needs some lefties to join to balance it up, sums it up perfectly for me.

And you can see the tripe she posts without signing up for it and posting yourself so that is a poor excuse.

Permabanned
If you're going to support that waste of skin you might as well figure out how to correctly spell her name. I get as you hold down CAPS and smash away at your keyboard it might be difficult.

For clarity matt, I’m using an iPhone mainly these days. So no such luxury as keyboard when on here.

Also I am not in full support of her. Her attitude on the c19 was crazy, like it wasn’t real. I am the opposite. But on a fair few things she raises points, and asks questions many others are to afraid to do. Some of them I do agree with.

But free speech much be maintained for everyone. Banning her to me seems like the attempted closure of free speech because they didn’t like the message.

Caporegime
For clarity matt, I’m using an iPhone mainly these days. So no such luxury as keyboard when on here.

Also I am not in full support of her. Her attitude on the c19 was crazy, like it wasn’t real. I am the opposite. But on a fair few things she raises points, and asks questions many others are to afraid to do. Some of them I do agree with.

But free speech much be maintained for everyone. Banning her to me seems like the attempted closure of free speech because they didn’t like the message.

There are rules though and she overstepped them several times and she was warned. But her only reason fro existence is to be as controversial as she can and she failed to tread that thin line. The only person who could have got away with what she said is Trump. But thats only cause he is POTUS.

Soldato

This isn't a free speech issue (free speech ≠ carte blanche) as she is completely free to use whatever media or platform to share and publish her opinions. It's a simple case of her breaking the rules, rules that she agreed to abide to when signing-up and using Twitter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This isn't a free speech issue (free speech ≠ carte blanche) as she is completely free to use whatever media or platform to share and publish her opinions. It's a simple case of her breaking the rules, rules that she agreed to abide to when signing-up and using Twitter.

Exactly

People really don't understand want free speech means.

The government are not censoring her.

Do people think its an infringement on their free speech that they can't mention competitors on here :confused:

Associate
Exactly

Do people think its an infringement on their free speech that they can't mention competitors on here :confused:

We live in an Internet age where instead of visiting public gatherings to hear someone speak we now only have to click Follow on a social media site. So if I am interested in what someone has to say why should it be made 10x harder to find where someone is speaking. It is not right in this day in age and it is a form of speech restriction.

Soldato
We live in an Internet age where instead of visiting public gatherings to hear someone speak we now only have to click Follow on a social media site. So if I am interested in what someone has to say why should it be made 10x harder to find where someone is speaking. It is not right in this day in age and it is a form of speech restriction.

She's still welcome to stand on a soapbox and be an absolute knob in some park somewhere, traveling to see her speak might be a bit more difficult than typing in a different web address though. 10x even.

Back
Top Bottom