Where should I save a game - SSD or HDD?

Associate
Hi guys,

Currently my SSD has 128GB free out of 222GB total size and my HDD has 930GB free. What is the difference if I save a game on the HDD rather than the SSD (the total game size is ~150GB)? The largest files on my SSD are:

Program Files (x86) - 35.7GB
Program Files - 2.02GB
Users - 15.3GB
Windows - 20.1GB

(And that is largely it apart from two other folders with a total size of ~1.2GB and a few empty folders, so I'm not sure why the Local Disk (C:) Properties box says it is using 94.7GB as the above only adds up to mid-70s GB of use?)

If it makes a difference whether I save a game on the SSD vs the HDD, should I try to free up enough space on the SSD? If so, which folders would I move to the HDD that would not have any impact?

Associate
Are you planning on installing other games apart from this one? I would say plonk it on you HDD and keep the SSD for smaller games. 128gb is nothing these days so may be worth considering buying a larger SSD just for games. A 1TB SSD would do nicely.

Associate
OP
Are you planning on installing other games apart from this one? I would say plonk it on you HDD and keep the SSD for smaller games. 128gb is nothing these days so may be worth considering buying a larger SSD just for games. A 1TB SSD would do nicely.
Ideally yes I would like to install other games too. I already have a couple installed but they are not large (e.g. one is 13GB), but I am considering buying another two in a sale, one of which is at least 28GB. When I click install on Steam, I presume that means it downloads it and saves it to the SSD? What is the downside to saving large games on the HDD?

Soldato
Ideally yes I would like to install other games too. I already have a couple installed but they are not large (e.g. one is 13GB), but I am considering buying another two in a sale, one of which is at least 28GB. When I click install on Steam, I presume that means it downloads it and saves it to the SSD? What is the downside to saving large games on the HDD?
Games will load much faster and can run smoother on a SSD.

Man of Honour
You can have multiple game libraries on Steam and select them when you install the game.

I'd choose the SSD for a game if it has long loading screens, some examples are strategy games, MMOs and recent FPS games. Most older games don't really need an SSD to load quickly.

Associate
OP
Games will load much faster and can run smoother on a SSD.
Damn, how big of a difference would it be? The game I am looking at is Hitman 1 & 2 which has the total size of ~150GB (the 28GB one is MGS V, and the third game is Sniper Elite 4 which I don't know the size of), and each map is a separate DLC. If I saved all of them onto my HDD, how long would it take to install a single map onto my SSD eave time I wanted to play it and then move the installation back to the HDD when I want to play a different map (and to move the new one onto the SSD)? Basically, how long would it take to transfer an installed game/DLC from the HDD to the SSD and vice versa?

Soldato
Always SSD where possible. However a HDD will only be slower during loading times, it shouldn't effect gameplay apart from big open maps where textures are loaded as you move around. It wont be that bad though. I run some of my games off a HDD off my server over the network as I've filled most of my SSD space, those games play fine over the network however.

Soldato
Damn, how big of a difference would it be? The game I am looking at is Hitman 1 & 2 which has the total size of ~150GB (the 28GB one is MGS V, and the third game is Sniper Elite 4 which I don't know the size of), and each map is a separate DLC. If I saved all of them onto my HDD, how long would it take to install a single map onto my SSD eave time I wanted to play it and then move the installation back to the HDD when I want to play a different map (and to move the new one onto the SSD)? Basically, how long would it take to transfer an installed game/DLC from the HDD to the SSD and vice versa?
I would just invest in a 1tb SSD as a game drive when you get a chance too but till then just use the hdd as its a lot of hassle having to keep swapping stuff back and forth.

Associate
OP
Always SSD where possible. However a HDD will only be slower during loading times, it shouldn't effect gameplay apart from big open maps where textures are loaded as you move around. It wont be that bad though. I run some of my games off a HDD off my server over the network as I've filled most of my SSD space, those games play fine over the network however.
If I can't move any of the files from the SSD to HDD then it seems like I have to save the games on the HDD, unless I buy another SSD which seems quite expensive.. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Hitman/MGS/SE4, would these run ok off the HDD? I think MGS is open world, and the other two apparently also have very large maps..

Associate
OP
I don't play that many concurrently so just put them on ssd.

Especially if I use them regularly
You mean you don't play that many Hitman levels concurrently? How long does it take you to move a level from the SSD to the HDD or vice versa?

Associate
I would keep your SSD as it is and use the HDD for games. The load times will be faster on SSD for sure but actually in game you should not see a huge difference. Personally, I would eventually ditch the HDD and go all out SSD especially if your a gamer. I know they are expensive but 1 1tb can be had for around £100.00

Associate
Uninstall the games from the SSD and place them on your HDD. Your game saves will still be intact on your SSD as it saves them elsewhere and not in the main game folder. With games so big these days it's just not worth installing them on such a small SSD. Get yourself a large SSD and install future games on that.

Caporegime
You mean you don't play that many Hitman levels concurrently? How long does it take you to move a level from the SSD to the HDD or vice versa?

I mean I don't play many games concurrently.
I'll play a game or two, then maybe never play it again. So only have 5 or six games installed at a time.

I dunno if it's placebo, but it does feel slower when stuff is on hdd

Associate
OP
Uninstall the games from the SSD and place them on your HDD. Your game saves will still be intact on your SSD as it saves them elsewhere and not in the main game folder. With games so big these days it's just not worth installing them on such a small SSD. Get yourself a large SSD and install future games on that.
I think the ones I have at the moment are saved in that Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common location. When I am initially installing a game, how do I specify that I need it to be saved on the HDD (D:) drive instead of on the Local Disk (C:) drive? Is it still possible to have a desktop shortcut to launch the game if I save it on the HDD instead of the SDD?

Associate
OP
I mean I don't play many games concurrently.
I'll play a game or two, then maybe never play it again. So only have 5 or six games installed at a time.

I dunno if it's placebo, but it does feel slower when stuff is on hdd
It seems like I won't even be able to get the Hitman game onto the SSD, nevermind any other games as well.

Associate
OP
How do you uninstall them and then reinstall them on the HDD? Would that not cause everything to move to the HDD, including the game saves?

Back
Top Bottom