Where should I save a game - SSD or HDD?

Associate
Don't worry about MGSV or Hitman 1 or 2 playing from HDD, both should be fine.

I completed MGSV when it came out on an HDD and Hitman 1 I played on SDD but they load most of the level once, then it's like a sandbox without sub loading so won't make much difference apart from a longer level load.

Also both games less have twitch play, lots of stealth, will be fine on HDD for now.

Game saves usually always save in user data or documents on main drive even if installed on another drive. Some Steam games will save to the Steam app data on the extra drive though, still no problem to find them.

To add your HDD as secondary Steam drive:

Steam menu top left,

Select settings

Click Steam Library Folders, then Add Library Folder to browse for and add the HDD as a secondary Steam drive.

Associate
How do you uninstall them and then reinstall them on the HDD? Would that not cause everything to move to the HDD, including the game saves?

Right click on the game you want to move in your Steam library, then select Properties, then Local Files tab, then select Move Install Folder. Select the other drive and move them.

That will move them and you don't have to worry about saves, etc. Steam will deal with it all.

This only works after you set up a secondary drive as shown in my prior post.

Associate
OP

I completed MGSV when it came out on an HDD and Hitman 1 I played on SDD but they load most of the level once, then it's like a sandbox without sub loading so won't make much difference apart from a longer level load.

Also both games less have twitch play, lots of stealth, will be fine on HDD for now.

Game saves usually always save in user data or documents on main drive even if installed on another drive. Some Steam games will save to the Steam app data on the extra drive though, still no problem to find them.

Steam menu top left,

Select settings

Click Steam Library Folders, then Add Library Folder to browse for and add the HDD as a secondary Steam drive.
I've gone to Steam>Settings then on the left side I click on Library, but there is no option to "Add Library Folders". It just has

Display size for Library user interface elements: Auto/Small/Medium/Large (Automatic is checked)
Low bandwidth mode
Disable Community Content
Low Performance Mode
Show game icons in the left column (this it the only one checked)

Associate
You steam folder will stay where it is as you are just changing the game directory not the Steam directory. Through the Steam download settings you can add a new install path to you HDD and then set it to default. I think most game saves will be in the steam "userdata" folder in the Steam main directory so won't be affected by the move + if you have cloud saves enabled that you already have a copy on the Steam servers. Just right click on your game icon in Steam and uninstall. When you reinstall it will install to the new directory with game saves intact. Shortcuts on you desktop will be fine as long as you add them after you have installed to the new HDD.

Associate
steamlibraryfolders-100721231-orig.jpg

Associate
OP
You steam folder will stay where it is as you are just changing the game directory not the Steam directory. Through the Steam download settings you can add a new install path to you HDD and then set it to default. I think most game saves will be in the steam "userdata" folder in the Steam main directory so won't be affected by the move + if you have cloud saves enabled that you already have a copy on the Steam servers. Just right click on your game icon in Steam and uninstall. When you reinstall it will install to the new directory with game saves intact. Shortcuts on you desktop will be fine as long as you add them after you have installed to the new HDD.
Ok, so I went to Downloads on the left and under Content Libraries is a box with Steam Library Folders. When I clicked on it the C:\Program files (x86)\Steam is set as the default with 6 games installed and 25.97GB used spance and 138.12GB free space. Beneath that is D:\Steam with 0 installed and 998.81GB free space, so it seems like it's already added, but I never remember seeing an option to save to it when I was downloading games before. If I download a new game and have HDD as default, do the save games still save to the C drive? Would it not be better to have the saves in the same location as the game? How do I enable cloud saves and do I need to set up a cloud account with someone?

Associate
OP
If I use the method PC777 suggested I shouldn't have to uninstall right? It would just move straight across and would no longer be on the C drive? (but the saves would be?)

Associate
OP
Right click on the game you want to move in your Steam library, then select Properties, then Local Files tab, then select Move Install Folder. Select the other drive and move them.

That will move them and you don't have to worry about saves, etc. Steam will deal with it all.

This only works after you set up a secondary drive as shown in my prior post.
Does this method move the save games as well?

Associate
The game saves will stay on the c drive and will be fine as they are and will not effect the game at all. They are so small that they hardly take up any space. I don't think it's possible to change the game save location anyway. The cloud is automatic on most games and you don't need to open an account as Steam automatically does this for you. If you right click the game and go into properties and I think it's under local files you should see a tick box for cloud storage.

Associate
OP
The game saves will stay on the c drive and will be fine as they are and will not effect the game at all. They are so small that they hardly take up any space. I don't think it's possible to change the game save location anyway. The cloud is automatic on most games and you don't need to open an account as Steam automatically does this for you. If you right click the game and go into properties and I think it's under local files you should see a tick box for cloud storage.
I don't see that under Local Files. Under "Updates" there is a Steam Cloud section but it says "The Steam Cloud it stores info so your product experience is consistent across computers" and the box for Enable Steam Cloud synchronization..." is ticked. Does this mean the saves are being done in the Cloud?

Associate
OP

Steam menu top left,

Select settings

Did you find playing MGS V from a HDD to be ok?

Associate
OP
Yes it does.
Sorry, another thing. In the Settings box under Broadcasting on the left the Video Dimensions says 1280x720 (720p), but my monitor is 1920x1080 (Recommended). Should this be changed? Is it only if I want to broadcast? Where does it get broadcast to? (I presume it's not Youtube or Twitch?)

Associate
OP
Yes it does.
I had 83.8GB out of 84.4GB downloaded, but it paused and said there is not enough free disk space on my SSD. I moved the files to the D drive (right clicked Hitman>Properties>Local Files>Move Install Folder) and then clicked download to finish the download but it has started downloading again from zero GB. I have D drive selected as the default option.Why did it start from zero? My C drive Properties says there is only 14.8GB of free space, so it looks like it is still on that drive but when I search my C drive for "hitman" the only results that come up are from 31st May and 6th June which was when I got the demo I think. When I click on Properties for the D/HDD drive it says there is 899GB Free space out of 931GB with 32.2GB used. When I go Library>Downloads it is saying "Updating". I am not sure if/why it started from zero again, or how to tell if it is downloading to the C or D drive...

Back
Top Bottom