• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Soldato
these are exactly same cpu as last years rebranded. why didn't amd go with 5nm this year?

Because AMD doesn't want to produce on low yields. To get yields up, first small processors need to be produced on 5nm - aka processors for mobile phones like the Apple A14. Once that's done, you can then use 5nm for larger PC processors.

That's the way the industry works now, for any new node - you first chance in batches of small processors through it before you move to larger ones - this ensures everyone gets good yields and best value for money. Intel is the only one that tries to buck this trend and then failed miserably

Soldato
100-200 mhz more isn't going to make a noticeable difference, maybe in synthetics.

Geekbench scores showing +10% single thread and +20% multithread. That doesn't match up with 100mhz more, something else is going on - lets wait for reviews.

Soldato
Geekbench scores showing +10% single thread and +20% multithread. That doesn't match up with 100mhz more, something else is going on - lets wait for reviews.
Fully agree. It's still up in the air if that 2000MHz IF is happening or not, but there is more to these XTs than just the clock bumps. Maybe the improved silicon is holding boosts longer and on more cores, maybe the IF can clock higher and get those latencies down.

There is clearly something about these chiplet yields which has made AMD release new SKUs and have a noticeable price bump. Despite all the tears recently about Zen 3 and "pulling an Intel", AMD are not in a position to milk their position just yet, and they certainly won't rub Comet Lake's face in the dirt with fractional improvements not worth advertising.

Caporegime
Fully agree. It's still up in the air if that 2000MHz IF is happening or not, but there is more to these XTs than just the clock bumps. Maybe the improved silicon is holding boosts longer and on more cores, maybe the IF can clock higher and get those latencies down.

There is clearly something about these chiplet yields which has made AMD release new SKUs and have a noticeable price bump. Despite all the tears recently about Zen 3 and "pulling an Intel", AMD are not in a position to milk their position just yet, and they certainly won't rub Comet Lake's face in the dirt with fractional improvements not worth advertising.

if they did that they’d just be on their way to becoming another intel.

Soldato
Unless they are priced within 20 quid of the non XT models I really don't see the point in getting one of these.

They're not. The 3900X can be found for sub £400 and you can flip the cooler that it comes with for £20. The XTs don't even come with a cooler and a lot more expensive :(

Was going to build another system but guess I'll wait for the 4XXX series.

Soldato
if they did that they’d just be on their way to becoming another intel.
Exactly my point. AMD aren't in a position to start taking the mickie quite yet, so I'm sure there's something "worth it" with the XTs that won't be known until reviews are out. But then again, knowing that Zen 3 is going to utterly humiliate what's left of Intel's product line, the XTs could well be the starting of the milking.

We'll have a clearer idea once the XTs land.

Soldato
What? where? link?

They seem to be holding a very high boost.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1275774256211570695

Even if it is just PBO, I don't think current chips can do all core overclocks that high.

Here's my 3700X at a pretty normal 4.3ghz overclock. Not using PBO so the single thread suffers a but. But focussing on the multithreaded performance, gets destroyed by the 3800XT.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2727338

The 3900XT might end up being a good buy if it drops to say £450 after the initial launch. 3800XT will always struggle because of the 3700X.

Last edited:
Soldato
if they tipped you over the edge of your target frame rate in your primary game then you would think differently.
Would make more sense spending the difference on a better GPU if that was the goal since CPUs make little difference to FPS unless you have a 2080ti and game at 1080P.

wait for reviews before you judge

I've already seen the review of the 3600 vs 3600X with a 200mhz boost advantage it makes hardly any difference, 1-2% at best.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Exactly my point. AMD aren't in a position to start taking the mickie quite yet, so I'm sure there's something "worth it" with the XTs that won't be known until reviews are out. But then again, knowing that Zen 3 is going to utterly humiliate what's left of Intel's product line, the XTs could well be the starting of the milking.

We'll have a clearer idea once the XTs land.
What on earth are you talking about with the bit in bold? The whole world and its dog knows that the XT CPU's are a minor speed bump designed for marketing purposes to troll/counter the Intel 10h gen release, it is completely obvious and plain to see. ** edited by moderator - please refrain from making your comments personal in future. **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
What on earth are you talking about with the bit in bold? The whole world and its dog knows that the XT CPU's are a minor speed bump designed for marketing purposes to troll/counter the Intel 10h gen release, it is completely obvious and plain to see,****** :confused:

I think that's the point being made. It seems to be against the AMD grain to increase the price massively just because they are "top end" parts. There must be more to it, i.e. better quality etc. as mentioned above which would give more than just a small marginal increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom