• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G-Sync setup help

Simple question, does G-SYNC work in games if I select 'let the 3D application' in NCP? I say this as I still always get screen tearing if I have that selected, the only way I can get it working is if I choose 'use the advanced 3D image settings' with v-sync enabled but I would prefer to use 'let the 3D application decide'

thanks

Permabanned
Vsync on in control panel , off in games

Triplebuffering as well i think the best setup is vsync on in Nvidia cpl, Low Latency to Ultra and ingame sync triplebuffers disabled. And a cap 3fps below the refresh rate as well.

Mine works great it all but two games Overwatch must have its reduce buffering option turned off and CSGO still has stutter but all other games work good. I am curious also if its worth testing Gsync being only to Fullscreen not windowed and fullscreen and disabling the fullscreen optimization when you right click a game exe.

Associate
Gsync only stops tearing when he FPS is running at or below the monitors max refresh rate. If your FPS runs over your monitors max refresh rate you need to cap frames to stop tearing.

You can do this with vsync in the nvidia control panel or in game, or you can leave vsync off (which is what I do) can cap frames in the nvidia control panel, in game if it has that option or via a third party application.

I get zero tearing setting this in nvidia control panel: gsync on, vsync off and max frames capped to 164 (monitors refresh rate is 165hz).

Gsync only stops tearing when he FPS is running at or below the monitors max refresh rate. If your FPS runs over your monitors max refresh rate you need to cap frames to stop tearing.

You can do this with vsync in the nvidia control panel or in game, or you can leave vsync off (which is what I do) can cap frames in the nvidia control panel, in game if it has that option or via a third party application.

I get zero tearing setting this in nvidia control panel: gsync on, vsync off and max frames capped to 164 (monitors refresh rate is 165hz).

Thank you, this has helped me a lot.

Man of Honour
Just cap the framerate and don't bother with any vsync, I have no idea why it keeps getting suggested to turn on vsync in NVCP.

Problem is capping framerate in the most low latency way possible. Fortunately nVidia have now mostly eliminated the return to V-Sync lag if you use V-Sync via the nVidia control panel + G-Sync and maxing out framerate but it still isn't always as ideal as capping framerate slightly below refresh rate.

Permabanned
Just cap the framerate and don't bother with any vsync, I have no idea why it keeps getting suggested to turn on vsync in NVCP.

Can you really not see the tearing? It is visable to me and always has been and thats with 240hz Gsync module and compatible monitors 280hz. The only way to stop it is to turn on vsync and that is what Gsync was designed around.

The people who game competition level, They probably always sustain 237fps or 277fps and put up with tearing for that 0 frame 0 input lag and that is not what gsync was designed for. Practically everyone else i think uses vsync on and 1 frame of lag. For me that is like 3.7ms i would rather the screen be free of artifacts and tearing than save 3.7ms delay.

Soldato
1.Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel
2.Gsync on in Nvidia Control Panel
3.Vsync off in game
Cap Frame rate to 1 below max hz of monitor, eg 144hz monitor cap to 143fps.

(this way doesnt matter what you set in rest of the nvidia control panel this gives best results)
There is a massive old gsync thread if you search for it and this was proven to be the best way as Rroff said.
Saying that I did the above and just didnt bother to cap the frame rate and it worked fine for me. Everyone is different but the above 3 key points have always been the way to do it.

Finding it funny this conversation has resurfaced again after all these years. Must be a new breed of gsync owners. Such Newbies ! :D Thought this conversation had been done to death and laid to rest.

Suggest you search for the old gsync thread its massive.

Anyone remember this ? Wish they had released it to retail properly to have a go. Think it was to be £56. Interesting for anyone who wants to see what an old gsync module actually looks like.

Last edited:
Soldato
3.Vsync off in game

Its up to you how you adopt using it, but I have had Gsync for years and just capping my frames to 116 never ever shows tearing. (RTSS)

Horses for courses do what you want end of.

3.Vsync off in game

(this way doesnt matter what you set in rest of the nvidia control panel this gives best results)
There is a massive old gsync thread if you search for it and this was proven to be the best way as Rroff said.
Saying that I did the above and just didnt bother to cap the frame rate and it worked fine for me. Everyone is different but the above 3 key points have always been the way to do it.

Finding it funny this conversation has resurfaced again after all these years. Must be a new breed of gsync owners. Such Newbies ! :D Thought this conversation had been done to death and laid to rest.

Suggest you search for the old gsync thread its massive.

Anyone remember this ? Wish they had released it to retail properly to have a go. Think it was to be £56. Interesting for anyone who wants to see what an old gsync module actually looks like.

I've actually had g-sync for years but never really understood why it didn't work if I selected "Let the 3D application decide" in NCP, now from my understanding it's because choosing that option I needed to cap the frame-rate otherwise I would see screen tearing?

Soldato
I've actually had g-sync for years but never really understood why it didn't work if I selected "Let the 3D application decide" in NCP, now from my understanding it's because choosing that option I needed to cap the frame-rate otherwise I would see screen tearing?

That's correct, usually 3 to 4 frames below, I have a 120Hz refresh rate so cap my games at 116

I use https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

However if the game supports frame rate capping use that as default.

Nvidia drivers also have the option to cap framerates in the control panel.

Associate
Can you really not see the tearing? It is visable to me and always has been and thats with 240hz Gsync module and compatible monitors 280hz. The only way to stop it is to turn on vsync and that is what Gsync was designed around.

The people who game competition level, They probably always sustain 237fps or 277fps and put up with tearing for that 0 frame 0 input lag and that is not what gsync was designed for. Practically everyone else i think uses vsync on and 1 frame of lag. For me that is like 3.7ms i would rather the screen be free of artifacts and tearing than save 3.7ms delay.

If you need Vsync on to stop tearing then your Gsync isnt working. you're just using good ol basic vsync :p

Permabanned
If you need Vsync on to stop tearing then your Gsync isnt working. you're just using good ol basic vsync :p

Im pretty sure you are wrong, Its meant to be Gsync on and Vsync on mate read the Nvidia documentation it can cause tearing. But unlike conventional tearing which is a line across the screen no at 240hz etc it aint like that but clearly i can see artifacts and a sort of tearing on the text that says Tracer in Overwatch.

I could tell also CS looked the same, Went into NV CPL and vsync was off and when on yup all the artifacts go. So its 100% working and im 99.99% you are mistaken. And that would not be regular vsync either, It would.be vsync with a 1 frame delay only i think which in total is a 4ms lag for having it on versus off.

4ms for me isnt worth the annoying visual artifacts when two frames merge or tear into each other as i notice every litttle annoying thing. Perhaps its my use of DSR at HFR that enables me to spot these things others are missing?

Soldato
Where is the option in control panel to cap fps?
I've been struggling to cap fps in games tried rivatuner and couldn't get it to work for some reason.

Soldato
Im pretty sure you are wrong, Its meant to be Gsync on and Vsync on mate read the Nvidia documentation it can cause tearing. But unlike conventional tearing which is a line across the screen no at 240hz etc it aint like that but clearly i can see artifacts and a sort of tearing on the text that says Tracer in Overwatch.

Have you a link to the official Nvidia documentation?

Soldato

I could tell also CS looked the same, Went into NV CPL and vsync was off and when on yup all the artifacts go. So its 100% working and im 99.99% you are mistaken. And that would not be regular vsync either, It would.be vsync with a 1 frame delay only i think which in total is a 4ms lag for having it on versus off.

4ms for me isnt worth the annoying visual artifacts when two frames merge or tear into each other as i notice every litttle annoying thing. Perhaps its my use of DSR at HFR that enables me to spot these things others are missing?

Nope.

As said, Gsync on in control panel, and most definitely off in game.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Nope.

As said, Gsync on in control panel, and most definitely off in game.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

He is saying Gsync on and Vsync on in NV CPL, not in game, blurbusters conclusion and optimal setting is the same.

I have heard quite a few people say that you can just cap the frame-rate and leave Vsync off in the NV CPL, but after some testing I also noticed some minor artefacts in games with it off.

Back
Top Bottom