Sony A6600, Fuji XT 3 or?

olv

olv

Soldato
So guys, for me, I think it's going to be Fuji. Hearing lots of praise about them. Fits the bill perfectly really, and nice and compact. But which one, and which lens? There are so many. It's daunting. I still like the look of the XT-3. I also still like the look of the XE-3, even though that is 3-4 years old now. If I go second hand, I can get more for my money. The AF concerns me a bit, as does lack of IS, or should it? Do the lenses handle IS?

The X-E3 is still a very capable camera. I swapped my X-T10 for one in Feb this year which I bought from the Fuji refurb store. Get the 27mm f2.8 for days you want it to be truly pocketable and a mid zoom for the rest of the time if that's your bag.

olv

olv

Soldato
Re-sale is usually easy with Fuji stuff so if you buy well you won't lose much on an X-E3 if you just wanted to dip your toe in the water. I started out years ago with an X-M1 and a 35mm f1.4 and whilst the camera wasn't bad (I've still got it) it was the lens and the look and feel of the images that came out of it that sold me on the Fuji system. A second hand X-H1 could be an option too, it's the biggest of the bodies but does have IBIS and the largest EVF of them all. I fancy one to go along with my X-E3 for when outright size isn't a problem. The X-T20 and 30 are also excellent. I think cheaper, second hand body and a nice lens is the way to go to see if you like the system and use it more, X-T3s aren't going anywhere so you can always upgrade down the line.

Soldato
The fuji 18 - 55 with the xe3 was on with currys recently for £599. It's a deal that keeps coming and going. The 18-55 is meant to be decent.

Man of Honour
OP
Still undecided. Maybe dare I say, back to the drawing board.

I’m slightly reluctant to spend big on an older camera, but as importantly I’ve been reading the menu system on the xe 3 is diabolical and I’ve got very big hands. The buttons are tiny apparently. I’ve also read the AF is pretty poor in comparison to what I’ve had before..

For all the positives of owning a small camera am i shooting myself in the foot?

Caporegime
A small camera can be a real PITA. I've got the G9 and will nearly always take that over my smaller GX85 despite the weight.

I think trying to get hands on is a great idea.

Man of Honour
OP
I hear you.. there’s always a compromise which I’m prepared to accept to a point, but reading Ken Rockwell’s review has definitely put me off lol..

The XT 3 is still smaller than what I had before, but it’s a bit over what I’m comfortable paying to be honest. So I need to do more research, but I do end up going in circles..

Soldato
There isn't such thing as a do it all camera and lens sadly, I'd like one as well. The closest you can get is a full frame setup with a zoom lens and fixed aperture as low as possible. Sony a7 series with 24-70mm f2.8 as an example.

Soldato
No I realise that, but my original idea isn’t going to work.

if I went with the XT 3 what second hand glass would you go with if you like a bit of portrait and landscape and a spot of bokeh.

The only option is the 16-55 f2.8 which is the closest to a do it all lens. It's not os though and for portrait you need to be at around 50 to make the most of it. Xt4 solves the os issue. The 35mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2 both make it look ordinary for portrait. The 18-55 f2.8-4 won't get you close enough to the shallow dof. It's also best kept below about 45mm. The full frame options get round this as they offer shallower dof at the same focal length then due to the sensor size you can also get away with lower iso or higher shutter speed. This gets you as close as you can get to prime on crop with low aperture. Even then, both won't match a prime on the given camera.

I also hate the changing of lenses, the weight, cost etc.

Soldato
Okay that £599 was typically out of stock. I’ve looked second hand and a good quality camera and lens is £700. I can get brand new for just under £800.

that curry’s deal - is it quite a regular thing or just a couple of times a year?

Just looking at hotukdeals it pops up occasionally. I found the deal as someone was in a very similar position to you and I was trying to help out.

He ended up going for the new (released january) XT200 with the 15- 45mm for £599 from a uk based grey importer. New tech. Better AF. Huge screen for your large hands.

It could be a good stepping stone and you could upgrade the lens at a later date. DP reviews gives it 82%.

Review of lens.

Man of Honour
OP
Hey thanks a lot some really good info there. I had obviously seen the XT200 pop up in my search but because there are simply so many choices I had overlooked this little gem.

definitely worthy of further consideration that touch screen is awesome.

can see that model at one rather generic site for £599, otherwise it’s £749

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey thanks a lot some really good info there. I had obviously seen the XT200 pop up in my search but because there are simply so many choices I had overlooked this little gem.

definitely worthy of further consideration that touch screen is awesome.

can see that model at one rather generic site for £599, otherwise it’s £749

The generic site is not bad. You can pay by paypal. They have a uk address and phone number. My friend ordered and he got a call within seconds to apologise that there will be a delay by 2 days because of stock.

PayPal covers any risk tbh. Decent reviews on trustpilot and other forums.

It sounds like it's a grey import but they have uk warranty.

Back
Top Bottom