• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Regrets going from Intel to AMD?

Associate
I will say however if I was a hardcore gamer I would have gone for the Intel 10900K 100%! But as I game and use my computer for work the Ryzen came out on top.

I tried a [email protected], sold it and went [email protected]

I only game on my pc and I felt intel does this better for sure.
Now, i'm the process of upgrading my son's pc not sure which way i'll go for him... again he only games so maybe 10700k or 3700x hmmm was hoping zen3 was out in aug...

Caporegime
Best is 5001.

I left bios volts on auto and using ryzen master now with a profile set to 4.2ghz at 1.26v

Surprised how good the cooler is and not seen many reviews of it.

5000 is pretty much bang on.

Score 4982: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X at Stock, Street

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-official-ocuk-cinebench-r20-benchmark-thread.18849380/

You're using the stock cooler? it is good, for a box cooler, but its only a box cooler, spending £20 - £30 on an after market tower cooler the system may run even better, it might be thermal throttling with the box cooler which might be why you are seeing these drops in frequency.

Associate
When I was upgrading my 2500k about 2-3yrs ago, it was between the 8086k, 8700k or the 2700x and intel came ontop for gaming, because intel was much better at overclocking. Also back then amd was hard to get all the cores running at the same speed.

I made the same move to an 8700K just over 2 years ago after considering the same options. As my PC is purely for gaming I'm happy with the choice I made and expect good performance for another couple of years.

The choice now is a little tougher in that AMD have significantly closed the gap in gaming and represent better value for money in terms of core counts at most price points. Whether that will have an impact on games in the respective CPU's life spans remains to be seen.

Soldato

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-official-ocuk-cinebench-r20-benchmark-thread.18849380/

You're using the stock cooler? it is good, for a box cooler, but its only a box cooler, spending £20 - £30 on an after market tower cooler the system may run even better, it might be thermal throttling with the box cooler which might be why you are seeing these drops in frequency.

Think it's fine now I am using ryzen master it hits 4.2ghz in Cinebench(can go higher but do not think the voltage difference is worth it) and I am using a NZXT Kraken X73 which has been amazing better than I thought.

Is it worth updating an old BIOS if all is running fine?

Permabanned
I will say however if I was a hardcore gamer I would have gone for the Intel 10900K 100%! But as I game and use my computer for work the Ryzen came out on top.

And reward Intel for zero innovation, Probably market manipulation, Overpricing and the scam they had going with thier motherboard vendors where you need a new socket everytime.

I would rather wait until Ryzen is gaming king and then swap my aging 4770k or why would anyone innovate or gamble anymore in the cpu industry? Intel do not deserve rewards.

Associate
I went from a 2600K which i still have in my old system and new one is a 3900X and has been said already nothing seems to tax the AMD

Soldato

I was going to buy an aftermarket cooler but the stock one is actually pretty good for me. I saw 77 degrees during the hot weather.

the problem i have is that when gaming I get 4.4ghz... great. But when running cinebench it only goes to 3.9 ghz and won’t move.

Associate
I was going to buy an aftermarket cooler but the stock one is actually pretty good for me. I saw 77 degrees during the hot weather.

the problem i have is that when gaming I get 4.4ghz... great. But when running cinebench it only goes to 3.9 ghz and won’t move.

3.9 is default allcore without pbo.

Caporegime

That's sort of normal, i get 4.025Ghz all core on a high stress load, again you might get 100 - 200Mhz more with a better cooler.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I went from a 4770K overclocked at 4.7GHz to a 3600 which is overclocked to 4.4GHz and I have zero regrets.

Since I dialled in 4.4GHz and 1.275v in my BIOS, I have had no issues. It runs cooler and uses less energy than stock too :)

By the way, I get 4.4GHz on all workloads at all times, not just on light workloads like gaming which is what you get on stock settings.

Soldato
A friend of mine went from a 7700k setup to a 3800X setup and regrets not paying more for a 9900K. His complaints are rather trivial, but I'll note them here:

1. His 'new' PC takes three times as long to boot compared to his old Intel one
2. Fan on his motherboard is noisy
3. He transfers lots of files via SATA3 (he has a work-case for transferring lots of times to SATA SSD's). The Ryzen system is bugged and doesn't give full SATA3 speeds. I'd heard nothing of this, but apparently SATA3 on Ryzen has a known issue where it's slower than Intel's implementation.

Soldato
3. He transfers lots of files via SATA3 (he has a work-case for transferring lots of times to SATA SSD's). The Ryzen system is bugged and doesn't give full SATA3 speeds. I'd heard nothing of this, but apparently SATA3 on Ryzen has a known issue where it's slower than Intel's implementation.

1. seems he has an issue as this isn't normal at all and actually on general from systems I have seen Ryzen boots much faster
2. Must have a very very quite system. Haven't been able to hear that little fan over the GPU or case fans or even an AIO block tbh.
3. No idea, never used a system enough to see know that. From aa quick google though, it seems generally Ryzen has a slight advantage on maximum sequential read and intel on writing sequential data. And anything smaller than 16kb Intel is almost twice as fast generally in read/write so if moving hundreds of very small files I could see that. Also that was on the 2XXX series chips cause I couldn't find much on the 3XXX series.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A friend of mine went from a 7700k setup to a 3800X setup and regrets not paying more for a 9900K. His complaints are rather trivial, but I'll note them here:

1- I fixed my slow boot issue by going latest bios at the time for my mobo. Now it boots faster than my Intel CPU/Mobo did.
2- Get latest bios from motherboard manufacturers website and latest chipset drivers directly from AMD. Do not use any of the driver stuff from the mobo manufacturers website. Also do a clean install of windows.
3- I don’t use Sata 3. I use both my nvme slots and transfer speed between them is well over 3000mbps.

The above issue (certainly 1&2 anyway) are either pebcak or he got unlucky with a dodgy component. Certainly is not an AMD issue, so not seeing any reason to regret it for that reason.

Associate

Boot time on my 3800X got better with the latest bios update
Cant hear the fan on my gigabyte gaming x
File transfer is absolutly fine and dont know anything about bugs

Soldato
3950x and x570 asus formual board using bios from January 2020.

* Boot times are fine, yes it's longer than my old Intel system but only by 2 or 3 seconds - not that it matters because I don't turn my PC off every day, I always have it in sleep and it boots up from sleep within 1 second.
* I can't hear the fan at all, even though the PCH on my board can get up to 72c and the fans at 3500rpm.
* NVMe file transfer is working fine for me over PCIE4, getting up to 5GB/s

Back
Top Bottom