Do you ever have strong opinions on OCUK Threads or User comments?

Soldato
I try not to get involved in any of the in-depth or contentious discussions any more. I've heard them all before and joining in rarely adds anything positive to my day, and I don't come here to lower my mood.

Caporegime
There’s a select group of posters on here who are just so set in their views, it’s not worth engaging with them. They’ll persistently accuse you of being wrong on an issue and unable to consider others views, when they are like a brick wall and believe their view should be unchallenged.

I've often wondered what these people aim to achieve out of doing this. Many will go on for days on end, arguing their point, moving goalposts, creating strawmen, iffing and butting until blue in the face.

Why? I honestly can't fathom a possible reason for this apart from loneliness and bitterness in life. I've been on the internet far too long, and seen people argue for days or even weeks on end about something which will affect absolutely nobody and won't achieve a single iota in any of their lives or the existence of anything as a species, yet they'll sit there, bickering for nothing.

I like to point out the stupidity of others and my button is when people pass their opinion off as fact (there are two people on this forum who I suspect couldn't scrape together a double digit IQ together if they combined forces) which often causes me to tell them to stop being a schmuck but most of the time I say my piece and when I realise that I'm talking to someone who's clearly in it for the long haul and has nothing better to do in their lives, I just give up and leave them to it.

Quite sad really. Get a girlfriend already. Or have a tug, like normal people.

Man of Honour
This problem goes away when you realise that nobody is obliged to read or reply to your posts and vice versa. Also, just because you post last doesn’t mean ‘you won’ or there is ‘no comeback’. A lot of debates in here on here end up in a ‘war of attrition’ - winning the war has nominal benefits whilst the cost of debating is very high (with time being the most valuable commodity of all).

I dip in and out.

Caporegime
I’m pretty much like the OP, I’ll have a read of threads and if I feel like replying I will do so. But on many occasions I have typed out a reply then deleted it before posting as I know my post won’t change how they feel or see things.
Each to their own I guess, I have views that others won’t agree with and a lot of the times I won’t bother posting them.

But I do lurk a lot and read posts, some of which do make me laugh out of genuine hilarity.

Caporegime
Yup, been a few times iv'e typed out a long reply only to go "**** it" and not bother posting as i can't be arsed with the back and forth that accompanies it.

Soldato
Yea I feel that sometimes.

It seems some people are looking for an argument and repeatedly go off topic to put labels on other posters, eventually getting the thread closed.

Man of Honour
In the very old days I was very vocal and even had 4 threads devoted about me in the infamous Don's Room leak :)
At least over the last 10 years I can't be bothered with it and just post here and there, I also start to type and then stop because it's pointless.
I did get angry a couple of months ago because I couldn't take any more of a particular person and their inability to believe anything - if we are told it's black then it must be white type attitude.

Soldato
Quite often feel like you OP. That's why it's very rare I get into any sort of proper discussion online. Hard to win an argument online if you're right or wrong because people always try and 1 up each other. Not worth the effort.

Soldato
Followed by the feeling that you just can't be arsed to get involved so you don't bother posting , I wondered if it was just me or if others felt the same?

Yep, it's simply not worth the bother of getting embroiled into the usual mud slinging that happens here. I made a conscious decision to avoid threads on race, religion, brexit, politics and terrorism wherever possible because of the inevitable **** show they become.

Soldato
Deffo in the often CBA camp. The one I find the hardest to ignore is the double standards exhibited by a lot of users. For example, celeb culture bashing and sneering on those that do follow it, then in another thread talking about how much they like <streamer> and lapping up some youtube/twitch drama and failing to realise the hypocrisy.

Soldato
I’m trying to stay away as I’ve recently fallen into the trap.

You do end up with the same people on the same topics, in fact you can tell by the title who will be in there.

What made me think about wasting less time on the topics is when I posted a law/piece of regulation that we have, in response to a claim that the UK does nothing about X. Despite showing the law we have, people still repeat the same brain dead auto-responses that you see posted by the same people on the same topics. It was at that point that it was cemented in my mind that people have an agenda and their set view and they’ll just keep saying that as if it’s the truth.

I guess there are all sorts of people online so it’s only to be expected that you’ll have various abilities, personalities and agendas. Over time you get to see a broader view of a poster and can gauge whether they’re worth replying to even if you don’t both agree on topics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom