Devon vs Cornwall

Associate
I want to stay in this cabin

2217e457-cff5-4081-8cc3-0901ce78119a.jpg

d1c28102-05f9-4139-a2e3-e7bc6437ab89.jpg

e01e177a-1ebe-442f-884f-34fd4df9ca85.jpg

Soldato
Lived in Cornwall 2014-2019 (still own a house there) and this thread makes me miss it :(!

Due to work I had to move up north, 6+hours away!

I loved Mawgan Porth and Polly Joke beaches, it was always best before and after summer!

Associate
Love both but been staying in South Devon for summer holidays past 10 years as is just that bit closer for travel.

Stayed mostly in Topsham, an old port with Dutch architecture along the river Exe and explored all along the Exe estuary and beyond across to Torquay and Sidmouth the other side. Big historic city of Exeter with great transport links just north up the Exe as well but I prefer to stay in the country parts.

Great area for cycling, boat trips, watersports, in good weather it's an amazing part of the country, Exmouth, Dawlish and Dawlish Warren all underrated sandy beaches too.

The railway line down the Exe and coastline towards Cornwall on a summer's day is like something out of a Mizyaki cartoon, a stunning rail route right by the water's Edge. Starcross station especially so, basically on a jetty right by the water with a boat service the mile or 2 across to Exmouth, otherwise about 20 miles by land.

Staying in a place in Dawlish later in the summer with a patio right next to that line and the sea at high tide, can't wait to get back there.

Permabanned
Love both but been staying in South Devon for summer holidays past 10 years as is just that bit closer for travel.

Stayed mostly in Topsham, an old port with Dutch architecture along the river Exe and explored all along the Exe estuary and beyond across to Torquay and Sidmouth the other side. Big historic city of Exeter with great transport links just north up the Exe as well but I prefer to stay in the country parts.

Great area for cycling, boat trips, watersports, in good weather it's an amazing part of the country, Exmouth, Dawlish and Dawlish Warren all underrated sandy beaches too.

The railway line down the Exe and coastline towards Cornwall on a summer's day is like something out of a Mizyaki cartoon, a stunning rail route right by the water's Edge. Starcross station especially so, basically on a jetty right by the water with a boat service the mile or 2 across to Exmouth, otherwise about 20 miles by land.

Staying in a place in Dawlish later in the summer with a patio right next to that line and the sea at high tide, can't wait to get back there.

Is the Topsham Ten still a thing or am I old and irrelevant now? :D

Soldato
Lived in Cornwall 2014-2019 (still own a house there) and this thread makes me miss it :(!

Due to work I had to move up north, 6+hours away!

I loved Mawgan Porth and Polly Joke beaches, it was always best before and after summer!
polly is my number one beach ,so unspoilt and lots of little nooks to chill in ,i used to commute from Leeds at one point ,continental shifts meant i could manage it (well have my time off here and work days at my parents) i couldnt imagine going back up north tbh

Associate
Thanks for the info. I think one garden/plant attraction will be enough! So based on what you have said and if I can get the tickets.... Maybe Eden is my best bet seen as its so famous and iv driven so far down there.

Assuming you have been, how long does it need? A full day or 3-4 hours?
If you want to see pretty much everything at Eden, approx 4 hours depending on how slowly you look around.
If it's open, the Polgooth is a great pub with an outdoor dining area that's not too far to go for a good meal after walking about.
polly is my number one beach ,so unspoilt and lots of little nooks to chill in ,i used to commute from Leeds at one point ,continental shifts meant i could manage it (well have my time off here and work days at my parents) i couldnt imagine going back up north tbh
I like parking over at the Bowgie, walking across the the coastal path to Polly to sit and enjoy the quite beach and then head back for a bite before returning home.

Carne beach on the Roseland and the small connecting beaches are another good little gem to visit for quiet hidden away beaches, especially since you can park on the road next to the fields and walk down for a free day out... it's a decent spot for fishing too.

Soldato
You mean you follow them on youtube? Why? For ideas on walks? The route that your suggeting, is it a common one? I tend to get lost quickly so hopefully some of these walks that everyone is recommening are popular local trails and the hotel has some maps for me!

yep well known route https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fowey-estuary/trails/fowey-hall-walk ,i follow afew hundred on youtube sometimes a destination will pop up and i think ,ah ok will give that area a bash

Associate
Is the Topsham Ten still a thing or am I old and irrelevant now? :D

I'd hadn't heard of it, but checking up on it now, a 10 pint pub crawl wouldn't surprise me at all, as so many great pubs along a decent walk, definitely seems be popular with drinkers on the weekends. Can get a bit rowdy but probably nothing like the old dock days I imagine. I'm not much of a drinker at all but the Lighter Inn is my favourite pub there.

Associate
In case anyone wants a good view of Dawlish Warren this is pretty good, though I don't think the local tourism board supports this behaviour, but this kitesurfer jumps from the Exe Estuary right over Dawlish Warren nature reserve and beach into the English Channel. A corny but still awesome little theme park with rides, arcades and go karts is just further right of where he is.

Soldato
Used to go on holiday to Dawlish Warren nearly every year back in the day. I always remember there being some old railway pullman carriages converted into holiday homes and parked on a disused siding right by the beach.

Getting down there from Stoke, sat in the back of a Morris Oxford Traveller (and plenty of other 'classics') with my younger Sister, was one hell of a journey.

Soldato
Hotel told me parking is £10 per day. Or the next closest car park is an 11 min walk and more expensive! Apparently the hotel is in the middle of no where with hardly any parking. Which seems about right looking on google maps. Any local knowlidge or free/cheap car park near by would be helpful. Not sure how well you know those specific roads.

Parking is a bit of a nightmare but there is a place you can park for free at the top of the hill. It’s a little bit further away than the main council car park but… it’s free.

I’m on my phone at the moment but I can send you a google map location when I’m next on my laptop.

When its closer to my trip date I will message you on here for more tips on walks, food, best locations etc if you dont mind

Absolutely, no problem. :)

Is this a popular walk? Think the hotel may have a map for me?

Yes it’s a popular walk and yes. I’m sure they will have a map. The coastal footpath is well signposted and pretty clear — to be honest, once you’re on it you can’t really get lost.

I assume Fowey town itself is just, well, a town!? Nothing in particular to see, just a place to wonder around and grab groceries?

There’s a butcher and a couple of bakeries but you’ll struggle to get many other groceries. The town centre is mainly filled with pubs (five), cafes, restaurants, art galleries and lifestyle-clothing shops. So you can spend quite a bit of time checking those out if that’s what your into.

Once you’ve walked through the town and back again, your best bet is to get a pasty and sit on the town quay and look out across the river.

Soldato
I’m also a fan of South Devon, we eventually have every intention of moving to Brixham which is a small fishing village on the English Riveria. However we love Torquay, Dawlish, Dawlish Warren and even Paignton has some good points. The Zoo is always worth a visit.

Associate
The traffic mentioned earlier is a factor you will want to consider, I live in south Devon and find it a right pain to go into Cornwall, both counties are lovely but I do find Devon to have more beaches and better sea (if sea swimming is something you are looking at doing), then again Cornwall is better for the surfing (again if that’s something you are thinking of doing). In my experience I have found Devon people more friendly than Cornish as well, worth noting I have only lived here for 2 years and originate from Essex where no one is friendly anymore, it feels a bit like Cornwall is Devon 100 years ago, all of this is generalisation and could all be complete poppy **** as I have only ever been to Cornwall once :)......cream first then Jam (it’s all about viscosity!)

hux

hux

Soldato
God I can't remember where it was but I had one hell of a burger from somewhere in Cornwall... It's like a famous Cornish chain. Going to annoy me now

Looking at my iCloud reminded me it was Sam's Cafe in Bodmin. I also think it was Sam's on the beach that I had the hot chocolate at.

Try Jampots in Bodmin, heard nothing but good things.

Meva's lovely, I was referring to my home town St Austell :p

Lovely beaches, lovely pubs, just don't go in the town centre or you'll be stabbed in the face and asked for drugs or offered drugs then stabbed in the face.

Bit like Bodmin then :p

Back
Top Bottom