BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hopefully some options by 4th of August as my virgin contract comes to an end and I’ve been hovering over FTTP waiting for a decent offer. Not bothered about the 900mbps option not needed, either 150 or 300 will do.

I’m switching solely for reliability. Virgin has been a bit patchy, it’s good but could be better.

Associate
Openreach are offering discounts, and even further discounts in bulk, but the issue is there is only 1 of the big players doing FTTP, so that one player (BT) can charge what it wants. Once TalkTalk start selling in the next few weeks and Sky launch there delayed one then expect BT to drop prices at the lower end - they won't drop them at the higher end as neither TalkTalk or Sky appear to be with launching anything above the 330 speeds, and might not even launch with the 330.
Are we close to seeing Sky and TalkTalk packages? Would be good to see some competition in this market.

Associate
The Halo plan also gives you double data on your mobile SIM, and a 4G mini hub (posted to you next day) if your main connection goes down. You also don't have to phone up to re-contract to avoid a huge price jump at the end of the initial contract period.

The £5 offer will be to add Halo onto your current package - it won't be £5 a month for everything.

Boo! Hiss! So BT wants me to pay £5 more for... well. Nothing really.

The Mobile belongs to my mother, who uses a dumb phone. No point in extra Data there, they could be giving unlimited Data, wouldn't make much difference really. They know this already when I set it up years ago. It's on their system.
The line we're using to access Fibre has its flaws, but when it goes out, it's a local area issue, and normally in the middle of the night. But the main thing is, the line can't support 30 up as its beyond the range of g.fast (with estimates suggesting we'd be getting less than the 20 up we have now, more like 12 up) and it's a question whether it can hit 100 down either. And since the upload speed is the main concern so that family can connect in and see through cameras if anything is amiss on my mother or connect to a NAS, sounds like I'm paying for not a lot.
Since I've also got the contract on the Black Friday deal and this contract runs out around then each time, why would I sub out a new contract that then pushes me out of missing out new Black Friday deals if I'll need to pay off the new contract (ie, pay even more) first?

If it WAS £5 for Fibre 100 with Halo 1, a truly exclusive deal (for a family that's been with BT since mid 80s), I might have taken it then. Right now, seems like it's trying to get me to stump up for more for no good reason.

Associate
Am I reading that right, you want everything for £5 a month.

No, I don't want everything for £5 (I certainly wouldn't mind though, as I'm sure many others would agree and also want). But I am saying that if they're trying to get me on board through an "exclusive" deal. That would work. But given all the points I raised, it feels more like they want to take advantage of me instead and I end up not only losing easier access to getting Black Friday deals (whether from BT or elsewhere), but pay an extra £5 for the previlege of doing so, for all results that so far do not show me to be getting anything "more" in doing so.

Therefore, it's more of a sarcastic jibe at them on their "exclusive" offer.

Soldato
Hi

How do people find the smart hub 2, I read you can't separate the wifi bands, has that been an issue for some or does it work pretty well.

Im looking to get fibre 100, best I can get at present.

Caporegime
If you don't like the offer of £5 a month to increase your package speed (granted this might not be an increase for you), double data on your mobile and a 4G hotspot if you have a connection failure then...don't accept the offer. Seems reasonably straightforward.

Associate
If you don't like the offer of £5 a month to increase your package speed (granted this might not be an increase for you), double data on your mobile and a 4G hotspot if you have a connection failure then...don't accept the offer. Seems reasonably straightforward.

Oh I'm not going for it, it's just I went through ALL of these points with their teams not long ago, and just find it both funny (and insulting) at the same time is all that such an "exclusive" offer was even made. I've had exclusive offers before, and this one, was certainly NOT it. :)

APM

APM

Associate
Caporegime
You can't split the bands on the Smart Hub 2. I've never had any problems with letting devices decide whether they want to use 5GHz or 2.4GHz.

Soldato
You can't split the bands on the Smart Hub 2. I've never had any problems with letting devices decide whether they want to use 5GHz or 2.4GHz.

The device swapping works, but for me at least the 2.4Ghz speeds are quite weak, on 5Ghz I can hit like 500mbps, on 2.4Ghz it may as well be using an 80/20 FTTC connection.

My devices seem to favour the 5Ghz one as well. Can disable the 2.4Ghz one but only if nothing requires it.

Caporegime
I only have a 60Mbps connection so probably wouldn't notice if devices were dropping onto 2.GHz, a quick check of the connected devices does show everything I'd expect to be using 5GHz connected on that band, though. The only thing I have trouble with is the Fire TV Stick moving to 2.4GHz if I reboot the Hub, which presumably is related to it creating its own ad-hoc Wi-Fi network when it loses the one it's meant to be connecting to. Rebooting the Fire Stick always fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom