LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I bought this recently, is it looking like the right cable for this TV? I ask as I've had issues in the past with HDMI cables and I can easy return this one if there's a better option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088QMXTMV?
should be fine
went with:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WN8C7XV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
just due to being orange and easily oidentify there 2.1 with my array of hdmi cables in my collection.

on day 1 my tv will have maxed out ports.

optical to my DAC -> Headphones
HDMI for
PC
PS4
Xbox One
Mac book Pro (Work)
USB for key/mouse power

Soldato
I assume there is just no monitor arm that will take the weight of this and that is why people are buying the stands? I have a sitstand desk so cant really wall mount it unless i pull the desk out more and let it go up past the TV when i am standing (losing the screen doesnt bother me but i really cant afford to lose any more room by pulling the desk forward).

Soldato
I assume there is just no monitor arm that will take the weight of this and that is why people are buying the stands? I have a sitstand desk so cant really wall mount it unless i pull the desk out more and let it go up past the TV when i am standing (losing the screen doesnt bother me but i really cant afford to lose any more room by pulling the desk forward).
Ergotron should do one it's only 15kg

Associate
So how is this monitor for general purpose use; example:

Sitting 3 feet away from the monitor (eyes to screen),
Chrome use, stock charts, watching various movies and youtube, word pad and word, perhaps 10% of usage is for games although I really havn't played much recently its more for those other things in that order.

I currently run the monitor in my sig (and its great - size, colors are good and everything is good (but there is always better right ;)

Soldato

Chrome use, stock charts, watching various movies and youtube, word pad and word, perhaps 10% of usage is for games although I really havn't played much recently its more for those other things in that order.

I currently run the monitor in my sig (and its great - size, colors are good and everything is good (but there is always better right ;)

If you only game 10% and use desktop browsers, word processing and charts etc mostly, then OLED isn't for you yet. The panel is fantastic for desktop use, but your use case is a burn in recipe for disaster, as that's mostly all static elements.

I've installed chrome extensions to make the entire browser "dark mode" compatible, and have removed the icons on each chrome tab. This is more comfortable for viewing, as bright white is very bright with OLED, even with the brightness turned down. Dark mode also helps prevent burn in over the lifespan of the monitor.

I'd say I use the panel for 40% gaming, 40% movies/TV/Youtube and 20% work/desktop browsing mode, and feel I'm at very low risk for burn in. Time will tell, but the experience is so great that I feel it's worth it.

Associate
OP

Considering your low game use and assuming movie use is also low, I wouldn't recommend an OLED. And I'm an OLED guy. LCD is more suited for web use, stock charts, general productivity etc.

Soldato
My current (cheap) LG LCD TV has awful judder if I watch a movie on Netflix or Prime when it's via the PC. However, if I use the TV apps for the exact same scene then the motion is smooth.

This is a concern considering this TV doesn't have apps. Can anyone confirm that motion scenes are smooth when played via PC?

Soldato
My current (cheap) LG LCD TV has awful judder if I watch a movie on Netflix or Prime when it's via the PC. However, if I use the TV apps for the exact same scene then the motion is smooth.

This is a concern considering this TV doesn't have apps. Can anyone confirm that motion scenes are smooth when played via PC?

My CX48 is connected to a Radeon7 via HDMI, and I've had no stutter when playing back a variety of content, including netflix/prime.

Check what refresh rate your PC is set to output to your LG LCD TV, sometimes they can default to 59Hz for some reason, which can cause issues.

Soldato
@caff which hole points did you use on monitor? i used the top (tv not arrived yet) wondered if i can lower it.
would like tv as low as possible
Do you mean holes on the Fitueyes stand? I used the the top ones. If you want the bottom edge of the TV almost touching the stand/desk, then you'll need to experiment with it, possibly move the bracket a couple of holes down.

Soldato
Do you mean holes on the Fitueyes stand? I used the the top ones. If you want the bottom edge of the TV almost touching the stand/desk, then you'll need to experiment with it, possibly move the bracket a couple of holes down.
yeh thats what i ment.
so you used the top holes & the hanging brackets are at there lowest position?
are the hanging brackets close to the bottom of the screen?
if i so i could move mine down a little.

Soldato
yeh thats what i ment.
so you used the top holes & the hanging brackets are at there lowest position?
are the hanging brackets close to the bottom of the screen?
if i so i could move mine down a little.
Yeah it's as high as I can get it. If you check pictures of the back of the monitor, you'll see the mounting VESA points are quite low on the back where it sticks out. I'm sure you can make it work but it'll probably take a couple of go's to get right. Be careful doing it, it's quite heavy!

Associate
Considering your low game use and assuming movie use is also low, I wouldn't recommend an OLED. And I'm an OLED guy. LCD is more suited for web use, stock charts, general productivity etc.
If you only game 10% and use desktop browsers, word processing and charts etc mostly, then OLED isn't for you yet. The panel is fantastic for desktop use, but your use case is a burn in recipe for disaster, as that's mostly all static elements.

I've installed chrome extensions to make the entire browser "dark mode" compatible, and have removed the icons on each chrome tab. This is more comfortable for viewing, as bright white is very bright with OLED, even with the brightness turned down. Dark mode also helps prevent burn in over the lifespan of the monitor.

I'd say I use the panel for 40% gaming, 40% movies/TV/Youtube and 20% work/desktop browsing mode, and feel I'm at very low risk for burn in. Time will tell, but the experience is so great that I feel it's worth it.

Thanks guys ... hmmm guess maybe I should wait a bit before getting one of these; always wanted an oled monitor ... but sounds like it wouldnt suit me. - just dont have time to game much anymore -

Soldato
Has anyone been able to do more than 60Hz with custom resolutions and Nvidia controls or by even using Custom Resolution Utility?
It would be awesome to have a display that can be a 4K TV, a 120Hz monitor with great scaling and also possibly a larger than 38" 21:9 gaming experience.

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler
you got ask for permission? my misses doesnt get the choice, i tell her what im doing she accepts it.
to the point when i got a bonus
she TOLD me to buy my Threadripper Rig

End up with
2950X
64GB ram
ASUS zenith extreme
3TB of NVME storage

maybe im just luckly? If you want somthing get it, she dont understand then she dont know you enough :)

Associate

Thanks guys ... hmmm guess maybe I should wait a bit before getting one of these; always wanted an oled monitor ... but sounds like it wouldnt suit me. - just dont have time to game much anymore -

Just wanted to pick-up on these thoughts.

I've been thinking about getting this OLED as my next monitor (current: ACER x34). As I'm currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future, my main use of this monitor during the day will be for programming and gaming in the evening (WoW, Rocket League, League of Legends).

Could my main use of programming during the day be an issue? I do have concerns over how text may look on this OLED and if 48" may be too large to develop on during the day.

Back
Top Bottom