£1000 Gaming Laptop.

Associate
I am asking for a friend who has a strict budget of £1000 for a laptop which they can game on.

The games they are mostly interest in are listed below but main issue is they will be working in Asian country so temps are going to be a real issue with them being minimum 30c

Crusader Kings II
Crusader Kings III
Fifa
Football Manager
Kingdom Come Deliverance
DCS World

They would like them to run if possible on high at minimum 30fps more so 60fps

I have looked for them but not many options about or stock issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dell g5 15 se (5505).

4600h/5600m can be seen for £1000. You can easily find and use 10% discount codes to use that will lower the price to £900. Will run all those games at 60+ fps.

Associate
OP
Dell g5 15 se (5505).

4600h/5600m can be seen for £1000. You can easily find and use 10% discount codes to use that will lower the price to £900. Will run all those games at 60+ fps.

Thanks for the suggestion but don't these run really hot a few reviews I have seen mention in controlled environment they run near 100c which could be a big issue when I in a country with temps that are 30-40c.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the suggestion but don't these run really hot a few reviews I have seen mention in controlled environment they run near 100c which could be a big issue when I am in a country with temps that are 30-40c at least.

I'd say the dell wouldn't be suitable then. I have one and while it does run hot, I am not quite sure about the numbers so far. A lot of the numbers being reported may or may not be correct but I can say for certain it will be in the low 90s at times when playing even less demanding games. The 100C numbers being reported may not be accurate but it's still running hot.
Still trying to find out if there is some error in the way it is being reported.

Associate
OP
I'd say the dell wouldn't be suitable then. I have one and while it does run hot, I am not quite sure about the numbers so far. A lot of the numbers being reported may or may not be correct but I can say for certain it will be in the low 90s at times when playing even less demanding games. The 100C numbers being reported may not be accurate but it's still running hot.
Still trying to find out if there is some error in the way it is being reported.

Did you replace the thermal paste on yours?

The temp stuff is worrying they can't take the risk it's not as if could be shipped back to them if running into an issue or have them come service it I already asked them if warranty would be covered in other countries which they stated no.

I wouldn't want to take the risk anyway with the reported temps it's suppose to be for gaming yet throttles with people testing it at temps in 20's I would hate to see it in 30-40c it is not fit for that purpose really.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you replace the thermal paste on yours?

The temp stuff is worrying because I can't take the risk it's not as if I could just ship it back to them if running into an issue or have them come service it I already asked them if warranty would be covered in Vietnam they stated no.

I wouldn't want to take the risk anyway with the reported temps it's suppose to be for gaming yet throttles with people testing it at temps in 20's I would hate to see it in 30-40c it you be un usable for that purpose.

Not done that but I might at some point. As well as dell using bad thermal paste I can see the other thing someone mentioned now. The screen partially blocks the rear exhausts which will add to the issues especially as there aren't any side ones.

Associate
OP
Nova 15 with Ryzen 3100, 1660ti, 16gb ram which comes under £1000 but no reviews for these units which is a shame looks promising

Another thing their warranty very cheeky only 1 year for parts but 3 year labor and the thing can take 14 working days to be assemble.

Anybody here have experience with these?

Before anybody mentions why 3100 well 3300x is not in stock and 3600 they want to charge another £70 for.

Last edited:
Soldato
Possibly a little late - but I've only just purchased a laptop at the same price point. Naturally I wanted one of the new Ryzen chips as they're especially good at the mid-range, but out of those laptops currently available with them, none of them seemed to fit the bill. In the end I settled on a Lenovo y540 with the following spec:
  • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB
  • 15.6'' Screen at 1920 x 1080p / 144 Hz
  • Price £997
The CPU is a touch slower than the AMD offering but for the price, the rest is stellar. Crucially for me at least, the monitor is high quality. The reviewers I watched seemed fairly convinced that it's cooling system was among the better ones on the market, but the AMD chips do run cooler. Give it a look.

Associate
OP
Possibly a little late - but I've only just purchased a laptop at the same price point. Naturally I wanted one of the new Ryzen chips as they're especially good at the mid-range, but out of those laptops currently available with them, none of them seemed to fit the bill. In the end I settled on a Lenovo y540 with the following spec:
  • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB
  • 15.6'' Screen at 1920 x 1080p / 144 Hz
  • Price £997
The CPU is a touch slower than the AMD offering but for the price, the rest is stellar. Crucially for me at least, the monitor is high quality. The reviewers I watched seemed fairly convinced that it's cooling system was among the better ones on the market, but the AMD chips do run cooler. Give it a look.

That is the one that was purchased and an extra 8gb ram upgrade taking it to 16gb both together came to just under £1000

Back
Top Bottom