• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sell my gpu?

Associate
I have been given a Maxwell titan x, for a build I'm doing for my daughter. I've seen the crazy prices they are selling for, and was wondering to sell it and buy a newer card with the money?

Associate
OP
Well this is going to be her very first PC she will be nearly 11 when she gets it, and at the moment all she will be playing is Sims 4, Roblox and minecraft.

I was think a 1660 super?

Her system spec,

3800X
X570 Tomahawk
3200Ghz ram 16GB
650 Seasonic PSU
Phanteks P400 Air case
Titan X

Soldato
I sold mine in February. Put it on Facebook for £220 and some guy picked it up and paid £200 cash.

Think I had it 2 years, paid £300 for it just before the prices went up with the mining boom.

Then I got a 1080ti for £300 :D

Soldato
Stick it on eBay on a £1 listing promo day. They sell for about £300-350

Sims 4 and Minecraft on that pc for an 11 year old, crazy. I would sell the lot and get a cheap laptop / budget gaming pc

Associate
OP
Stick it on eBay on a £1 listing promo day. They sell for about £300-350

Sims 4 and Minecraft on that pc for an 11 year old, crazy. I would sell the lot and get a cheap laptop / budget gaming pc

Yes I have also seen them selling for £300 - £350

I know what you mean, about the spec of the system. I already had the 3800X, and only swapped it when overclockers were selling the 3900X for a crazy price. I was going to sell it, but knew I was going to build a PC for my daughter and thought for what I would get for it second hand, I may as well keep it and use it in her system.

I just want this PC to last her a good five years and I knew going cheap that will not happen. Plus knowing my luck she will get into more demanding games and then a cheap laptop/budget pc will not be enough.

Caporegime
Well this is going to be her very first PC she will be nearly 11 when she gets it, and at the moment all she will be playing is Sims 4, Roblox and minecraft.

I was think a 1660 super?

Her system spec,

3800X
X570 Tomahawk
3200Ghz ram 16GB
650 Seasonic PSU
Phanteks P400 Air case
Titan X

Pointless selling the card.

You could have saved more money elsewhere than the £100 you will save selling it to buy an inferior newer card.

I mean why does an 11 year old need a 3800x or a X570 board?

Please don't reply with future proofing as it doesnt exist and is a stupid reason for overspeccing when you will never need it.

By the time it becomes useful there will be faster and cheaper cpus and motherboards available.

Associate
If they sell for £350 sell it anyway. People are vastly overpaying for the Titan brand on old tech. It performs about on par with a 1070 and the 1660 Super is nearly on par with that.

Soldato
@w00dy85 don't listen to the haters. You'd think they'd want the best for their kid rather than screwing them over in order to penny pinch. She's 11, not 2, there's nothing wrong with her enjoying good hardware and CPUs keep their value so well, and have so much longevity, a 3800x might seem overkill but in reality it's a great CPU to have considering it will last a LONG long time and it costs so little relative to a GPU. Same for overall platform, an X570 might seem overkill but 5 years from now it will still keep trucking and will seem like a great move in hindsight. There's been people holding on to Nehalem for 10 years just fine, and it's not like rate of progress has been accelerating since then.

As for the Titan, yeah definitely sell it if you get a good price. The newer features of cards are a definite benefit and will help her out more. A 1660 Super would work great in that PC for her.

Last edited:
Associate
@Woody85 I'd go for a 5700 or 5600XT over a 1660 Super, loads faster but not that much more expensive and 2gb more VRAM on the 5700, so it will give more longevity for her/you until an upgrade is needed

Associate
OP
Pointless selling the card.

You could have saved more money elsewhere than the £100 you will save selling it to buy an inferior newer card.

I mean why does an 11 year old need a 3800x or a X570 board?

Please don't reply with future proofing as it doesnt exist and is a stupid reason for overspeccing when you will never need it.

By the time it becomes useful there will be faster and cheaper cpus and motherboards available.

I'm not trying to save money, but selling the old card I can buy a newer one at about the same speed and have 3 years warranty as well.

And like I said before, I already owned the 3800X and did not purchase it for this build, as for a X570 it's board that will last and if I change my cpu. I can drop it straight into my daughters system with out any problems. I was planing on getting a 550 board, but the difference in price was only £25 for the 570, so I got that.

@w00dy85 don't listen to the haters. You'd think they'd want the best for their kid rather than screwing them over in order to penny pinch. Absolutely disgusting. She's 11, not 2, there's nothing wrong with her enjoying good hardware and CPUs keep their value so well, and have so much longevity, a 3800x might seem overkill but in reality it's a great CPU to have considering it will last a LONG long time and it costs so little relative to a GPU. Same for overall platform, an X570 might seem overkill but 5 years from now it will still keep trucking and will seem like a great move in hindsight. There's been people holding on to Nehalem for 10 years just fine, and it's not like rate of progress has been accelerating since then.

As for the Titan, yeah definitely sell it if you get a good price. The newer features of cards are a definite benefit and will help her out more. A 1660 Super would work great in that PC for her.

Thanks, I was suprised to some of the reactions on this thread :)

@Woody85 I'd go for a 5700 or 5600XT over a 1660 Super, loads faster but not that much more expensive and 2gb more VRAM on the 5700, so it will give more longevity for her/you until an upgrade is needed

I did think about those cards, will look into them more.

How does one get given a Titan x?

My Cousin had 3 of them, and heard I was building a system for my daughter and gave me one :)

I think you should get her a 3080Ti. She can really enjoy Minecraft RTX then!

I'll buy my self one first and give her my 2080s :D

Caporegime
@w00dy85 don't listen to the haters. You'd think they'd want the best for their kid rather than screwing them over in order to penny pinch. She's 11, not 2, there's nothing wrong with her enjoying good hardware and CPUs keep their value so well, and have so much longevity, a 3800x might seem overkill but in reality it's a great CPU to have considering it will last a LONG long time and it costs so little relative to a GPU. Same for overall platform, an X570 might seem overkill but 5 years from now it will still keep trucking and will seem like a great move in hindsight. There's been people holding on to Nehalem for 10 years just fine, and it's not like rate of progress has been accelerating since then.

i take it your buying your kids a bugatti each when they turn 16? nothing to do with haters or screwing her over the specs are way over what you need for normal gaming never mind roblox or minecraft. I have a better gaming pc than her and guess what my cpu cost less than £200 and my motherboard less than £100.

the ram and motherboard cost should equal the cpu and the gpu should be all 3 combined.

for example if you spend £120 on ram and £220 on motherboard that means spend £340 or around that on the cpu his cpu is £340 currently so that seems to match up.

now that means he should spend £680 on the gpu. that is a balanced rig for gaming components wise.

it's a good rule to follow on a rough basis.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-Titan-X-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super/3282vs4056

selling a titan X to buy a 1660 super IMO is pointless. yes you have warranty but you also have an inferior card. i mean you have already spent £1000 on the other components. get a 2070 super at least.

as for a 3800X lasting a long time. it will be outdated within the next 6 months. when the 4600X comes out. it will not only be £200 it will be significantly faster for gaming than a 3800X making the 3800X a pointless waste of money if you don't need those cores and that is the point nobody needs those cores for gaming right now.

there is no need for 8 cores and 16 threads and when there will be i imagine the 6600X will be available. its a stupid argument to make.

for example

£400 cpu - lasts 5-6 years before needing replaced but newer and faster cpu's are released yearly.

£200 cpu - lasts 3 years before needing replaced. however the £200 left over will buy you a newer cpu in 2-3 years which will thrash the £400 cpu you could have bought instead at the time. i could sell my cpu right now for what i paid for it. the 3800x cost £420 on launch it's now £315 it's already lost £100. that isn't holding it's value anywhere near as well as my 3600X which cost me £190 and is now wait for it £195.

it's a stupid way to do things you will always lose significantly more money buying overspecced components. it's got nothing to do with penny pinching but being smart with your money.

I'm using a B350 motherboard with my 3600X for example.

bru

bru

Soldato
Lovely rant, but completely pointless as he l ready had the CPU, he just explained about the 570 MB and I for one don't blame him.

You tell him that selling an older GPU for a newer one is pointless and then tell him that the newer CPU will be outdated soon. Hypocritical much.

Caporegime
Lovely rant, but completely pointless as he l ready had the CPU, he just explained about the 570 MB and I for one don't blame him.

You tell him that selling an older GPU for a newer one is pointless and then tell him that the newer CPU will be outdated soon. Hypocritical much.

because i said newer cpu with more power

he's selling older gpu for newer one with less power.

pointless

Back
Top Bottom