• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Caporegime
I think that's the point being made. It seems to be against the AMD grain to increase the price massively just because they are "top end" parts. There must be more to it, i.e. better quality etc. as mentioned above which would give more than just a small marginal increase.
Against the 'AMD grain'? Interesting how naive some people can be that they apply their own perception of morals to a company. :D AMD are a money-making corporation out to make as much profit as possible that is now hitting Intel where it hurts and released a minor speed bump to coincide with the 10th gen launch... you will be disappointed if you are looking for some kind of higher meaning.

Anyway, do you think that all of the many review sites who have tested samples would not have mentioned this "special something" already? It is architecturally the same except with a small clock boost. What else can we expect? :)

Soldato
Against the 'AMD grain'? Interesting how naive some people can be that they apply their own perception of morals to a company. :D AMD are a money-making corporation out to make as much profit as possible that is now hitting Intel where it hurts and released a minor speed bump to coincide with the 10th gen launch... you will be disappointed if you are looking for some kind of higher meaning.

Anyway, do you think that all of the many review sites who have tested samples would not have mentioned this "special something" already? It is architecturally the same except with a small clock boost. What else can we expect? :)

I'm not after a childish fight pal. I'm giving opinion based on personal experience of AMD performance vs. price and the comparison to Intel, notorious for that sort of behaviour.

I'm the sort of person that won't jump to conclusions until I've seen the reviews, benchmarks etc. If they are poorly priced compared to non XT parts they won't be bought.

Caporegime
I'm not after a childish fight pal. I'm giving opinion based on personal experience of AMD performance vs. price and the comparison to Intel, notorious for that sort of behaviour.

I'm the sort of person that won't jump to conclusions until I've seen the reviews, benchmarks etc. If they are poorly priced compared to non XT parts they won't be bought.
I am just saying that it's not logical to expect anything other than a minor speed boost when taking into account all of the facts (same architecture, small speed bump) and I am not sure why anyone would have a hard time accepting that AMD would release a minor speed bump as a marketing tool to screw with a competitor launch, when their goal is to fight for sales and sell as many CPU's as possible. But anyway, we will see soon enough.

Soldato
Would make more sense spending the difference on a better GPU if that was the goal since CPUs make little difference to FPS unless you have a 2080ti and game at 1080P.

I've already seen the review of the 3600 vs 3600X with a 200mhz boost advantage it makes hardly any difference, 1-2% at best.

Targetting 90fps VR in a racing or flight sim?

Caporegime
They seem to be holding a very high boost.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1275774256211570695

Even if it is just PBO, I don't think current chips can do all core overclocks that high.

Here's my 3700X at a pretty normal 4.3ghz overclock. Not using PBO so the single thread suffers a but. But focussing on the multithreaded performance, gets destroyed by the 3800XT.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2727338

The 3900XT might end up being a good buy if it drops to say £450 after the initial launch. 3800XT will always struggle because of the 3700X.

Well that's not bad...... its better than most of the performance pumps we used to get from Intel.

Caporegime
Two reasons. One, 4K8K I mean Richdog has been getting to him not only in this thread but in the GPU section. Two, if you say anything unfavourable about AMD, he can get that way :p:D
TNA I realise you have a soft spot for me, but please stop making things up. Although he does seem to be having a bit of a hard time with other people in the Navi thread if that's what you are referring to? ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
AMD have betrayed him. :(

TNA I realise you have a soft spot for me, but please stop making things up. I have never even engaged with LePhuronn in the GPU section... although he does seem to be having a bit of a hard time with other people in the Navi thread if that's what you are referring to?
Haha. I think I had you confused with Mr Melmac, my bad. That said, you don’t need to engage with anyone, just posting things like RTX 2060 is a high end part can do the trick :p;)

Caporegime
Haha. I think I had you confused with Mr Melmac, my bad.
No worries, he seems like a decent sort too. :D

That said, you don’t need to engage with anyone, just posting things like RTX 2060 is a high end part can do the trick :p;)
The truth is often a bitter pill for some to swallow, but I deliver it for a day-job so my skin is unusually thick. :D

In all seriousness though, all of this empassioned debate and bickering just shows how much we all love this hobby and as long as it's all kept in perspective (ie: it's not the end of the world) then there are certainly worse things to have a passion for in life. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No worries. :D

The truth is often a bitter pill for some to swallow, but I deliver it for a day-job so my skin is unusually thick. :D

In all seriousness though it just shows how much we all love this hobby and as long as it's all kept in perspective (ie: it's not the end of the world) then there are certainly worse things to have a passion for in life. :)
Yeah. No worries man. I never take all this stuff seriously. I am sure even when we do not agree, you (and others) can tell I am just having a bit of lighthearted fun :D

Soldato
AMD did these kind of speed bumps before...it's less to do with performance,but more to get themselves back in the news cycle. Also it forces all the Ryzen parts to be retested again,which might help if there has been software improvements since the last launch.

Caporegime
AMD did these kind of speed bumps before...it's less to do with performance,but more to get themselves back in the news cycle. Also it forces all the Ryzen parts to be retested again,which might help if there has been software improvements since the last launch.
The last part is a very good point that I hadn't considered. The marketing and awareness value from the XT launch is likely worth a lot more than any profit from the CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom