• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
My guesses for the price of the new cards from Nvidia.

Using dollar prices.

3060 - $399
3070 - $549
3080 - $749
3090/3080Ti - $999

Using UK prices

3060 - £699
3070 - £899
3080 - £1199
3090/3080Ti - £1499.

:p:D Only joking with the UK prices (Kinda ;)) It's always hard to figure out where the UK price will land next to the dollar price.
UK prices will almost certainly be £100-£200 more than the $ price, Ferraris don't pay for themselves and someone's got to!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
From what I've read the problem is more accurately called "uneven aging". OLED pixels age as you use them, and the speed of aging varies with brightness and other factors.

There's not a huge amount you can do about it. The LG's have wear-levelling programmes/patterns that you can run, but it's not guaranteed to prevent burn-in/accelerated aging.

In fact none of the OLED manufacturers will warranty a screen against burn-in. It's considered wear and tear and up to the user to prevent.

I’ve just this minute ordered a 65” C9 for my football and gaming needs from John Lewis.

They now offer for £140 a 5 year warranty against screen burn which is the only reason I’ve bought one.

Wouldn’t dare use it for gaming otherwise TBH.

However, if it gets damaged it will now be replaced with no excess on the policy.

Can’t wait. :D

Caporegime
I’ve just this minute ordered a 65” C9 for my football and gaming needs from John Lewis.

They now offer for £140 a 5 year warranty against screen burn which is the only reason I’ve bought one.

Wouldn’t dare use it for gaming otherwise TBH.

However, if it gets damaged it will now be replaced with no excess on the policy.

Can’t wait. :D
Nice one. I think there's at least one other retailer that will offer an add-on warranty that covers screen burn. The manufacturers themselves don't. Including Apple, LG, Samsung.

All that is 2nd hand info tho :p

I'm this close (points to a chasm) to going so far as to consider thinking about buying an OLED. I'm just tight with money :p And it's got to sit on a desk only a couple feet from my face, so too big is defo a problem.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Y
Nice one. I think there's at least one other retailer that will offer an add-on warranty that covers screen burn. The manufacturers themselves don't. Including Apple, LG, Samsung.

All that is 2nd hand info tho :p

I'm this close (points to a chasm) to going so far as to consider thinking about buying an OLED. I'm just tight with money :p And it's got to sit on a desk only a couple feet from my face, so too big is defo a problem.

Yeah, it’s way too big to put on a desk. Mine will be about 10 foot away from the sofa.

Looking forward to it having VRR and 4 x HDMI 2.1 ports. Should be a good pairing with Ampere. :cool:

Caporegime
Yeah, it’s way too big to put on a desk. Mine will be about 10 foot away from the sofa.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hfyo0o/48cx_oled_installed_pg35vq_replacement_ama/

This chap quite likes his setup, and I can see why. But you have to put the screen so far back and then you've got all your junk (peripherals) in front of your screen, which to me is a distraction, surely.

I think as much as I'd love one, if it's not situationally perfect for that price I should stick with something smaller and cheaper.

Soldato

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hfyo0o/48cx_oled_installed_pg35vq_replacement_ama/

This chap quite likes his setup, and I can see why. But you have to put the screen so far back and then you've got all your junk (peripherals) in front of your screen, which to me is a distraction, surely.

I think as much as I'd love one, if it's not situationally perfect for that price I should stick with something smaller and cheaper.

Can’t blame the guy. Obviously a better choice over a £2.5k pg35vq in that situation as it will look 10x better and nearly 1K cheaper... don’t think I’d want it that close though.

Best blacks, best response time (no ghosting VA panel), no noisy gsync ultimate fan, best hdr, true 4k and £1000 cheaper. Plus you have a screen that can be used as a tv and monitor.

Still patiently waiting for a 4k 144hz 32” OLED gaming panel :p. Until that day no way I’m paying anywhere near 2.5k for a gaming monitor.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Can’t blame the guy. Obviously a better choice over a £2.5k pg35vq in that situation as it will look 10x better and nearly 1K cheaper... don’t think I’d want it that close though.

Best blacks, best response time (no ghosting VA panel), no noisy gsync ultimate fan, best hdr. And £1000 cheaper. Plus you have a screen that can be used as a tv and monitor.

Still patiently waiting for a 4k 144hz 32” OLED gaming panel :p.
My plan is to pick up next year’s version on Black Friday 2021. I am hoping they will do a 40” next year. Will get it from somewhere like John Lewis who offer add on warranty for screen burn in. Hopefully all for under £800. That would have me set for a very long time then.

Soldato

The way to set it up is to actually not have it on the desk but rather to wall mount it. I sometimes bring a table and plop it down in front of my wall mounted TV and use it like that as a desk, it's about an arm's length away (maybe add an extra palm for distance). It works great actually, and that's how I'm going to add it to my bedroom setup instead of a monitor. That way you have the whole desk area just for peripherals and misc (tea mug etc). And if you have it like that it also helps A LOT with the size to the point where it just feels like you're looking at a monitor instead. It felt much more massive when I had it on the desk like a monitor, and to a great extent that's because of how low it sits, but again, can't treat it exactly like a monitor either, it requires a bit of change since it is much bigger. Once you do though, oooooh boy, is it fantastic!

I think if you have a proper wall mount that allows for adjustments it really adds to it a lot. Being able to make small adjustments to the positioning makes a huge difference for a TV, especially in this sort of desk setup.

Soldato
My plan is to pick up next year’s version on Black Friday 2021. I am hoping they will do a 40” next year. Will get it from somewhere like John Lewis who offer add on warranty for screen burn in. Hopefully all for under £800. That would have me set for a very long time then.

Yeah hoping for around a 40” version in the next year or two.

Not to bothered as I have my 55” but be nice to have one for K+M that isn’t too big.

Caporegime
Sounds like we're in the same situation then. Might ride out another year with my U2312; it's not broken it's just old, small and low refresh :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah hoping for around a 40” version in the next year or two.

Not to bothered as I have my 55” but be nice to have one for K+M that isn’t too big.
Yea, I got a 55" LG B9 in the living room. But that is for console gaming and watching tv. Might take my PC down for Cyberpunk 2077, well for the 2nd playthough anyway using a controller :D

Sounds like we're in the same situation then. Might ride out another year with my U2312; it's not broken it's just old, small and low refresh :p

I am happy with my monitor, just that OLED really is on another level and it is the only thing worth upgrading too. All these 1-3K monitors would offer me very little and be a complete waste of money.

Yea, why not? :p:D

We all know there will not be any serious news at least until September, you can always do yourself a favour and come back then? ;)

Soldato
Anyone planning to sell their 20xx while prices are still high? I realised I had nothing demanding to play until Cyberpunk so thought I would take advantage.

I don't have a choice because AMD doesn't put iGPU on their desktop parts so if I remove my 2080ti I can't use the PC at all. I won't be able to sell the 2080ti until I have its replacement. But I will sell my PS4 PRO soon before the PS5 launches

Soldato
We can discuss the Eurovision Song Contest if you'd prefer?

Thats been cancelled postponed too. :p

Anyone planning to sell their 20xx while prices are still high? I realised I had nothing demanding to play until Cyberpunk so thought I would take advantage.

Not really, I buy GPU's to use them not as an investment. I did sell a 1080ti recently for about half what I originally paid for it a couple of years ago, that'll do me.

Associate
I think a better way of measuring advancement is looking at performance increases at given price points.

Turing gave us next to nothing in that regard at launch but Nvidia played a shell game with GPU *names*.

"Look! The 2080 is as fast as the 1080ti!" (Pay no attention to the fact that the xx80 series card now costs as much as the previous xx80ti series)

I don't care what they call the new cards. I want to know what they cost and how they perform.

The could make the 3050 as fast as the 2080ti and it won't matter if the new 3050 costs 1k.
+1 This is the ONLY way to measure progress, new names and numbers are meaningless as are new cards with exactly or very close to the same performance at the same price point or more when its Nvidia.

Soldato
We can discuss the Eurovision Song Contest if you'd prefer?

Seriously, GPUs and monitors are two sides of the same coin, so completely valid to talk about in any GPU thread, imho.

No I’d rather just see this thread be at the top for Ampere rumours/news. I keep checking it and seeing irrelevant stuff.

There’d be a lot of thread bans if thread was on another forum I frequent.

Soldato
I don't have a choice because AMD doesn't put iGPU on their desktop parts so if I remove my 2080ti I can't use the PC at all. I won't be able to sell the 2080ti until I have its replacement. But I will sell my PS4 PRO soon before the PS5 launches

Put a basic GPU in there like an GT 1030 until the replacement is released. I have done that in the past.

Back
Top Bottom