Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
What's the reasoning behind not supporting companies on Facebook?

Not wanting to derail a coffee thread, but I think the platform is damaging our society. I don't mind companies that have a presence on it, but I'm avoiding ones that pay them for advertising.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also have a Peak water jug From Kickstarter which seems very good but is a bit of a beta product.
holy moley - that's exhorbitant 2 water filters, not dissimilar to britta size £25 ... https://peak-water.com/
I'd previously looked up the price of the principal resin used in these purolite about £10/litre

Not on fascebook ... but I can see there is a demographic you won't reach by other means ...James Hoffman , on utube must receive a few freebies.

Soldato
holy moley - that's exhorbitant 2 water filters, not dissimilar to britta size £25 ... https://peak-water.com/
I'd previously looked up the price of the principal resin used in these purolite about £10/litre

Not on fascebook ... but I can see there is a demographic you won't reach by other means ...James Hoffman , on utube must receive a few freebies.

Hoffman buys his gear with Patreon money, and gives it away (unless he's lying).

Soldato

Indeed - it’s a bit of a niche product right now given the price. I backed it on a whim so got a year of filters and the jug for £49 I think. I was amazed it eventually arrived as I had basically given up on it hence investing in the Osmio zero system which is great but a much bigger upfront investment.

To me the peak produces better coffee vs Britta when I blind taste tested myself. I expect its definitely in the law of diminishing returns though given the costs.

Associate
Have been struggling with the sourness of the San Fermin, it may be that I opened it too soon (4 days after roast) or my bean-to-cup machine can't extract it well enough.

Only just started filtering water with a Brita having never bothered before. I am not sure what impact it is having on the coffee but I do prefer it to drink.

Man of Honour
OP
Indeed - it’s a bit of a niche product right now given the price. I backed it on a whim so got a year of filters and the jug for £49 I think. I was amazed it eventually arrived as I had basically given up on it hence investing in the Osmio zero system which is great but a much bigger upfront investment.

The slope is slippery - I'm going to pick up some RO 'drinking' water from a local Aquarium guy tomorrow and got some bicarb and epson salts on order - time to make some water :D:rolleyes:

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-redux/

Have been struggling with the sourness of the San Fermin, it may be that I opened it too soon (4 days after roast) or my bean-to-cup machine can't extract it well enough.

4 days is pretty early and will give it some sourness, could also be that its under-extracting, what control do you have over the machine? Might be worth grinding a bit finer...

Don't worry about the postage cost, more faff than it's worth. :) Stick a quid in a charity tin next time you see one if it'll soothe your conscience! Can you trust me your address?
Got the tubing through this morning - thank you! Although did you mean to send your old tube as well?

Associate
Under-extracting was my thought, I set the grind 1 finer and increased the dose. Not much opportunity in a 250g bag to get things right though.

Soldato
Just ordered a few bags from Neighbourhood coffee, as I need to find another decaf. The Outpost decaf blend is great but without a discount it's just a bit silly prices.

Neighbourhood seems pretty popular and decent prices too, only 15 quid to get free shipping.

I've not had any normal espresso that beats Stronghold yet though, goes really nice with oatmilk.

Soldato
The slope is slippery - I'm going to pick up some RO 'drinking' water from a local Aquarium guy tomorrow and got some bicarb and epson salts on order - time to make some water :D:rolleyes:

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-redux/

Yep. I thought about doing something similar but in the end just decided it would be too much faff. My main priority was getting off the bottled water and still preventing scale given I live in London and our water is very hard. Any taste improvement was a nice side benefit.

Soldato
A little birthday gift to myself - here earlier than expected :)

OkCu6Z5l.jpg

Must be almost warmed up now....

MaraX, nice! Interested to see how it is, really no cooling flushes?

I think it's a bit of a shame they changed the body to brushed steel, I like the shiny! Although the wire drip tray is a nice change because the polished one on the mara scratches up quite a bit.

Man of Honour
OP
MaraX, nice! Interested to see how it is, really no cooling flushes?

I think it's a bit of a shame they changed the body to brushed steel, I like the shiny! Although the wire drip tray is a nice change because the polished one on the mara scratches up quite a bit.

haven't done any cooling flushes or temperature checks to be honest - still trying to get it dialed in. It does seem to drop a lot of water to maintain temperature levels though.

Caporegime
I love my Niche!!!

Finally put some Origin beans through it, all the flavours on the label comes through clearly. It’s quite strange at first, like….this taste fruity!

Also it makes dialing in super easy and first shot without even trying was at 25s with the dial set to 23 on the markings in the Espresso range.

I also have converted someone at work, this girl who has never had anything but instant coffee before questioned my sanity in buying a £500 grinder. I said I will make her a coffee and she can see for herself. I only made an Americano. First reaction “I don’t hate it”. Half way through it she said “I am converted, I want one”.

There is 1 downside. How do I reduce static? One time I tip the cup into the portafilter and flip it over and grind went everywhere because like 20% were still stuck inside the cup due to static. Is this why people spray it with water?

Soldato
I also have converted someone at work
we had a Hasbean coffee club at work for bulk purchases & reliable delivery.

or temperature checks to be honest -
what means have you got to do that ... are the glass cups your principal goto, versus ceramic ?

The slope is slippery - I'm going to pick up some RO 'drinking' water from a local Aquarium guy tomorrow
was there a pun there, after earlier discussion, I realised britta filters strip the chlorine too, so algae growth/slipperiness occurs if you don't use the water fast ... or move/oxygenate it in an aquarium.

Associate
There is 1 downside. How do I reduce static? One time I tip the cup into the portafilter and flip it over and grind went everywhere because like 20% were still stuck inside the cup due to static. Is this why people spray it with water?

I give the metal cup a swirl and then up end and tap it when sat in portafilter and I don’t get any retention.

Back
Top Bottom