Basic Home Networking Advice

Soldato
Your house layout looks almost identical to mine (apart from I have a ensuite at the back of the house on the top floor above the kitchen/office side of the house). I was putting down wood flooring in my living room any way so I ran a load of cat 6 around my living room to my under stair cupboard and then was able to get a cable up by the stair case and in to my office. I also ran another cable around my office (did not run from below, perhaps should have done in hindsight) so that I could mount my unifi wifi AP high up. I get really good speeds around the whole house (28-30MB/s over the wifi).

I did not put a network cable up to the top floor but I think I could have done it internally. I did think about running cables to all rooms but I don't think I personally would have ever used it in those rooms so there would be no reward for me.

Note - I have never done this before so it was a learning experience along the way. Including crimping my own cat6 cables and data points.

Downstairs network install:
https://imgur.com/a/O64caQN

Middle floor network install (office only).
https://imgur.com/a/bt5E4j0

Associate
also, he has cat5(e) on his materials quote, not cat6.

I've run cat6 all around my house and it is pretty straight forward. External runs can look quite clean with a bit of care, and you can always use conduit to further improve the appearance.

Associate
OP
Colleagues mate who works for openreach is doing this for me for mates money. Result!

He wants to use Cat5e cos its what he has and is used to, it'll be fine as I by the time we have faster internet than 1gbps I severely doubt we'll still live here.

The external run will be tidy, lots of options for hiding.

Cheers all.

Caporegime
I see you're sorted now, but as suggested if this comes up again ask a satellite/TV aerial installer for a price. Electricians will charge the rates that they usually price work at but data cabling doesn't carry the same sort of liabilities, doesn't need people to have any formal training etc. so the costs should be lower.

With that said, whoever said it's two hours work is lowballing it I think. You've got three entry holes to drill which require ensuring the inside is ready, putting down floor protection etc., then a cable run around the front of a house which involves climbing up a ladder, clipping cable, coming back down the ladder, moving it a metre or so, repeat. It's a half day job.

Back
Top Bottom