Some thread about the London congestion charge

Associate
Petition is pretty bad, but I do agree with the general gist/summary so have signed it.

I did drive in fairly regularly at the weekend & in the afternoon/evening & traffic was generally fine - free parking on single yellow lines in much of Camden too. Extending the charge period to 7 days just smacks of general anti-car politics rather than as a way to combat any specific issue IMO. If the new charging structure does become permanent, for shopping I can still park to the north of Hyde Park somewhere & walk to Oxford Street, but evenings I will go elsewhere.

Soldato
They are, that's why they ran out of money in May and had to go begging to the government, who imposed the conditions about increasing the congestion charge.

No

Better get an EV then if you drive into London regularly, problem solved.

It's anti combustion engine, but that's a good thing.

Permabanned
OP
Better get an EV then if you drive into London regularly, problem solved.

It's anti combustion engine, but that's a good thing.
They too will lose there exemption, hybrid cars lose it next year. Full EV a few years later.

The congestion charge sole purpose to create extra revenue, it is not about congestion pollution.

Associate
How do you think London would look and move today if it had never been introduced?
it wouldn't move, like the old days everybody would be stuck, engines running and blasting their horns.

All city centres should have some level of congestion charge. Park and ride is easy and cheap, public transport is plentiful so there is no real reason to be overcrowding the city centres anymore.

I feel this thread was started about politics more than anything else though.

Soldato
it wouldn't move, like the old days everybody would be stuck, engines running and blasting their horns.

All city centres should have some level of congestion charge. Park and ride is easy and cheap, public transport is plentiful so there is no real reason to be overcrowding the city centres anymore.

Exactly. We'd have hundreds, if not thousands of preventable deaths each year in London. But yes, OP was political. I guess it would, ironically, be less political when he's old enough to actually drive and to vote :)

Permabanned
OP

You know public transportation fares are rising too, the biggest rise in years.

Permabanned
OP
How do you think London would look and move today if it had never been introduced?
Exactly. We'd have hundreds, if not thousands of preventable deaths each year in London. But yes, OP was political. I guess it would, ironically, be less political when he's old enough to actually drive and to vote :)

Well maybe try to get companies to set up base elsewhere in the UK. These days you don't need to have everything centralised in London.
Tax companies in central London more than in the outskirts that would reduce more congestion than a charge.

Soldato
Why is there a massive picture of Trump on the petition?

Before the congestion charge Central London was pretty much always in gridlock.

Congestion charge has always been about making sure people who really need to drive into there were doing so.

The money is also spent on TFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge#Income_and_costs

I'd much rather they increase the charge than pedestrianise the area.

Well maybe try to get companies to set up base elsewhere in the UK. These days you don't need to have everything centralised in London.
Tax companies in central London more than in the outskirts that would reduce more congestion than a charge.

People that work in Central London don't drive in. I'm not sure what you are getting at. Rent in Central London is already way higher than what you could feasibly tax. There is a reason companies are still there.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Why is there a massive picture of Trump on the petition?

Before the congestion charge Central London was pretty much always in gridlock.

Congestion charge has always been about making sure people who really need to drive into there were doing so.

The money is also spent on TFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge#Income_and_costs

I'd much rather they increase the charge than pedestrianise the area.

People that work in Central London don't drive in. I'm not sure what you are getting at. Rent in Central London is already way higher than what you could feasibly tax. There is a reason companies are still there.

The people that really need to travel in are in low paid jobs keeping the system afloat. Those that say CC should be higher are those that can afford it or offset it.

If you want to reduce congestion then ban cars in central London.

If companies are still able to pay the rents then it's not high enough. Maybe design new taxes to reduce density in high density areas. Companies need to shift away from London to other parts of the UK. This would help reduce bias, help to reduce economic waste and improve human capital.

Soldato
The people that really need to travel in are in low paid jobs keeping the system afloat. Those that say CC should be higher are those that can afford it or offset it.

If companies are still able to pay the rents then it's not high enough. Maybe design new taxes to reduce density in high density areas. Companies need to shift away from London to other parts of the UK. This would help reduce bias, help to reduce economic waste and improve human capital.

Have you ever actually been to London?

Soldato

Why do low paid workers need to drive in, why can't they take public transport like everyone else?

Low paid workers don't drive in. Very few people that actually work in Central London drive in. The traffic is mainly people passing through. Going East/West or North/South. They should go round as Central London's roads aren't built for mass traffic.

I live in London.and seen the mess over the last 2 years.

How long have you lived in London? I've been here 30 years and you clearly have no idea what it was like before the congestion charge. The charge also isn't 2 years old unless you have an agenda of some kind.

I suspect given the petition you posted, we all know what that is.

Why don't you cycle? Then you can stop complaining about the changes in roads trying to make it safe for cyclists.

Capodecina
Soldato
@Mrwong your proposal seem incredibly ill-considered.

Why not sit down (away from the keyboard), think through and put forward some proposals that might actually make sense, test them out here and then start an apolitical petition?

Back
Top Bottom