Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Distributed support models always have these issues. I completely understand that certain agents don't have authorisation to do XYZ but there's no need to try and force a customer down a certain route by being rude when I don't want to upgrade to a bundle.

Edit: plus when I said I wanted to give a 30 day notice, he said "are you sure you want to do this in a pandemic?" half tempted to submit a complaint

I submitted a complaint before after I'd been mucked around with my discount before.
It was entirely a pointless procedure.

In fact the issue returned after the complaint had been "processed".

Associate
What happened with the puma bug firmware fix for the Hub 3? Does it fix latency or just mask the issue in the stats? I'm on a solid 80/20 FTTC connection but would switch to M500 if the pings are low.

Soldato
Had some free time today so rang them for an update on my 2nd complaint letter which they seem to have ignored, no reply as of yet and its been weeks. After waiting for half an hour in the queues the tone changes to a ring and it sounds like someone answers but not for long, they quickly hang up. It beggars belief, it really does.

Soldato
What happened with the puma bug firmware fix for the Hub 3? Does it fix latency or just mask the issue in the stats? I'm on a solid 80/20 FTTC connection but would switch to M500 if the pings are low.

No it certainly does not completely fix it. It is a bodge really. Had a ‘senior’ engineer tell me the only way to fix it is a SH2, SH4 or a business hub.

I’m switching to FTTP to get rid of the SH3!

As much as Virgin wants you to believe to the contrary, it is not the best for pings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They will make a vague claim like “best broadband for gaming” but there’s no technical statements made and nothing to hold them to - definitely nothing said about latency

Associate
Never had any issues with Virgin other than the speed dropping occasionally, £36 for 200Mb, is epic
£32 here for M200, should be £29 (per my contract), though I hate calling VM.

I want to upgrade to M500 with Oomph (5GB SIM) ...though I really don't want to call VM, every time I've called in the past it's just been such hard work getting anywhere with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it certainly does not completely fix it. It is a bodge really. Had a ‘senior’ engineer tell me the only way to fix it is a SH2, SH4 or a business hub.

I’m switching to FTTP to get rid of the SH3!

As much as Virgin wants you to believe to the contrary, it is not the best for pings.

Please provide evidence of Virgin making ping claims (Hint: They don’t).

Also knowing what passes for a ‘senior‘ or even ‘senior network’ engineer let alone area/regional and national heads from having worked and interacted with them professionally and socially, they likely have minimal awareness beyond ‘it’s a hardware bug affecting the following model’ as TBH it’s nothing to do with them and at best they’ve read part of an email if you’re lucky as it doesn’t directly relate to them and that’s where the interest stops.

The number of users who actually had first hand experience of the issue was (as a proportion of the whole) minimal, a vocal minority quite rightly complained about it, because it was a ball ache of a problem for some, but comments on this forum showed several examples of people who clearly weren’t experiencing it blaming it for whatever else was going on. The firmware mitigation hasn’t fixed it as such, but it now isn’t something that you will notice, so what exactly are you doing that still has issues, and why circa 2 years after they were resolved for everyone else are you only now leaving VM to get away from them? Are you stuck in some sort of strange time phenomenon where you are living two years ago but can post to the future via the wonders of OCUK? If so hang on for 2-4 months and you’ll get a firmware that will solve your issues, also buy hand sanitiser, toilet roll and yes put a few quid on that bloke from ‘I Haven’t a Clue’ running the country. You’re welcome :D

Soldato
Let me clarify, VM state some packages are “great for gamers” which by default means great pings because speed above a certain point is irrelevant.

Secondly, If you review the VM forums you shall see that some people still do have a problem and in some cases was only resolved because they managed to get a SH4.

I only started to notice this problem once I started online gaming and doing VOIP/video calls due the current situation. I’ve spent weeks reconfiguring my network to see if I could isolate the issue but nothing would stop the up-to 30 second periods where the hub would simply stop doing anything.

Once I hooked up a 4G dongle to test my side of the network it all behaved perfectly...

So yes, I’m moving because the SH3 is not 100% fixed.

Edit: In the interests of fairness I've just looked at my monitoring for the last few weeks. It seems at some point two weeks ago something changed and the issue has reduced significantly. However because the SH3 UI does not load after being on for a while (SH3 is bug-free, right?) I can't tell if the firmware version has changed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to get 350mb & a 15gb sim card for £39 a month and no set up fees either. I'm happy with that as it also allows me to cancel a sim card that I currently have, which saves me £10 a month so I'm affectively paying £29 a month for 350mb.

Back
Top Bottom