Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Tax £475 a year
Insurance £400
4yr GAP Insurance through Admiral £333
Servicing is every two years, and I'm setting aside £500

I put £5k in and my monthlies are £350. I'm switching to a loan after 12 months, but that will require me to put down a similar amount as loans tend to max out at £25k

Driving back on the motorway I averaged 39mpg, but you put your foot down and you're into single figures lol

Full tank of BP ultimate when it was on empty cost me £58

Not sure how long I intend to keep it, but what I will say is that it's worth every penny. It gets a lot of attention! In fact, yesterday I had two neighbours stand outside my house talking about it, as did a couple of people at the petrol station.

This purchase has only been made possible as Audi honoured a pricing mistake on my etron order. I'm paying half what I should be, and the tax savings and other savings it brings me offsets half this car. I've cancelled my personal trainer at the gym and bang, I'm in a TTRS.

The funny thing is I don't think the etron will arrive until September, so the TT is being used to carry around a family of four! LOL, good job with the lockdown we rarely have to go out. The rear seats shall we say.....well, they aren't very good.

That's got me seriously thinking a TTRS could be a contender to replace the Mustang.

Is the 39mpg on the motorway a realistic sustainable figure or because you were driving it overly careful? I do a lot of long distance driving for work so motorway MPG makes quite a big difference. Couldn't care less the MPG I get at the weekend :D

Soldato
That's got me seriously thinking a TTRS could be a contender to replace the Mustang.

Is the 39mpg on the motorway a realistic sustainable figure or because you were driving it overly careful? I do a lot of long distance driving for work so motorway MPG makes quite a big difference. Couldn't care less the MPG I get at the weekend :D

I was being very careful. You may just be able to hit 40mpg if you are sat at 2krpm for a good few miles, but the minute you stick your foot down it will drop.

Mine was sat at 39.8 whilst I was sat on the M1 for over an hour, but one fast overtake and it was 38.

The car simply isn’t designed for motorway driving.

Normal motorway driving having the odd bit of fun is mid 20s

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Currently looking at a 2020 stock A8 with 25k off (not that anyone ever paid list on these cars...). Q7 and Q8s also looking like plenty off right now but I like the idea of the A8.

Obviously it will hemorrhage value. Worst thing about it perhaps is being mistaken for a chauffeur/uber lux driver? :D

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Had a brand new A6 for a few days as a demo, its a contender to replace my current company car, which is a Volvo XC60.

Must say the virtual cockpit and general infotainment is fantastic, smart looking car inside and out. Not that impressed with the general drive of it though, seemed a bit too soft and the autobox was a bit sluggish. I expected a bit more of the 204ps Diesel. But as a company car it does do a cracking job, and the spec is good enough with the standard Sport trim and they have hugely moved on the infotainment game since my last audi A4 B8.

Anyone got a current A6? How has ownership been for you? its between the A6 TFSI-e and a 330e for my next car, sadly the 5 series has a hideous personal contribution on my CC scheme. But id be intrigued to see what people think of the A6.

Soldato
Had a brand new A6 for a few days as a demo, its a contender to replace my current company car, which is a Volvo XC60.

Must say the virtual cockpit and general infotainment is fantastic, smart looking car inside and out. Not that impressed with the general drive of it though, seemed a bit too soft and the autobox was a bit sluggish. I expected a bit more of the 204ps Diesel. But as a company car it does do a cracking job, and the spec is good enough with the standard Sport trim and they have hugely moved on the infotainment game since my last audi A4 B8.

Anyone got a current A6? How has ownership been for you? its between the A6 TFSI-e and a 330e for my next car, sadly the 5 series has a hideous personal contribution on my CC scheme. But id be intrigued to see what people think of the A6.
I’ve got a 50 diesel (280ish HP) avant and whilst it’s extremely practical, pretty comfy and good looking (it’s S Line) it’s incredibly dull to drive. It’s fast, sure, but not very involving. Very soft, like you say.

Soldato

Audi lent me a new S6 for the week, and driving down the motorway I nearly fell asleep. Probably the most comfortable car I've driven. Audi never designed the 6 to be fun.

Soldato
People certainly do notice the noise!

Maybe it's just me but I find most of these Audi exhaust notes quite dull :( That TTRS definitely has a better sound to it. The exhaust note of my B9 S4 Avant is my least favourite part of that car. When driven normally, it drones like hell between 1500-2000rpm which makes me drive strategically around them rpm's because that drone just becomes loud, boomy and uncomfortable inside the cabin. You only hear the V6 growl when you put your foot down above 2500rpm. Yes, I realise I bought a sporty Audi that's got a loud exhaust on it....but at the same time it is a premium car and I don't think it's too much to ask for better noise comfort levels at lower speeds and normal driving when I have my family with me.

I had a MK5 Golf R32 before this and the exhaust note on that was epic....but not just on full chat, it was really nice during sensible/normal driving too. There was still a growl to it but was sedated (e.g. didn't drone and wasn't boomy inside). Compared, the S4 feels a bit soulless at times

Permabanned
Maybe it's just me but I find most of these Audi exhaust notes quite dull :( That TTRS definitely has a better sound to it. The exhaust note of my B9 S4 Avant is my least favourite part of that car. When driven normally, it drones like hell between 1500-2000rpm which makes me drive strategically around them rpm's because that drone just becomes loud, boomy and uncomfortable inside the cabin. You only hear the V6 growl when you put your foot down above 2500rpm. Yes, I realise I bought a sporty Audi that's got a loud exhaust on it....but at the same time it is a premium car and I don't think it's too much to ask for better noise comfort levels at lower speeds and normal driving when I have my family with me.

I had a MK5 Golf R32 before this and the exhaust note on that was epic....but not just on full chat, it was really nice during sensible/normal driving too. There was still a growl to it but was sedated (e.g. didn't drone and wasn't boomy inside). Compared, the S4 feels a bit soulless at times

Is it definitely the exhaust that's droning and not the soundaktor? I disabled it on my old S5 because it sounded awful.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
People bang on about the RS 5 pot sound and maybe it's a nostalgia thing harking back to the rally cars but I've never thought it was a particurlarly nice sound, not horrible but not amazing.

Always sounds a little rough around the edges at lower speeds, but does sound nice on full chat.

I'd agree on the R32 noise, I had a 3.2 A3 and my folks had an R32 and they both sounded lovely (the R32 was a bit more rorty with it).

I've always found the V6 in the S4/S5 quite muted unless going for it, and even then it doesn't have as much shout to it as the R32 did (does the charger mute it maybe?).

Noise wise the Merc 6.3 V8 still wins it for me out of what I'd call normal/non supercars.

Soldato
Is it definitely the exhaust that's droning and not the soundaktor? I disabled it on my old S5 because it sounded awful.

I didn't think the B9's had a soundaktor like the B8's did, e.g. I didn't think it pumped fake noise through the speakers? I know it's got flaps in the exhaust system that open/close depending on rev's. The droning sounds like it comes from the boot area and always between 1500-2000rpm. I test drove an S5 which did the same thing and given how identical the drivetrain is on the S4 and S5 I assumed it was the exhaust.

Soldato
People bang on about the RS 5 pot sound and maybe it's a nostalgia thing harking back to the rally cars but I've never thought it was a particurlarly nice sound, not horrible but not amazing.

Always sounds a little rough around the edges at lower speeds, but does sound nice on full chat.

I'd agree on the R32 noise, I had a 3.2 A3 and my folks had an R32 and they both sounded lovely (the R32 was a bit more rorty with it).

I've always found the V6 in the S4/S5 quite muted unless going for it, and even then it doesn't have as much shout to it as the R32 did (does the charger mute it maybe?).

Noise wise the Merc 6.3 V8 still wins it for me out of what I'd call normal/non supercars.

5-pot's definitely help refine and even out the firing order compared to a 4-pot which I'd expect gives a bit of an extra growl to the exhaust but yeah, it just doesn't do it for me.

Fully agree on the muted sound of the V6 in the S4/S5. I test drove an S5 before buying the S4 and yeah, nice sound when you've got your foot down but lower speeds are muted.

Generally most things with a V8 in have a nice sound, especially the 6.3 in the Merc! I have a 1965 Ford Mustang (302/5L V8, dual flowmaster mufflers etc).....you can't beat the classic bloppy idle and roar with your foot down :)

Permabanned
I didn't think the B9's had a soundaktor like the B8's did, e.g. I didn't think it pumped fake noise through the speakers? I know it's got flaps in the exhaust system that open/close depending on rev's. The droning sounds like it comes from the boot area and always between 1500-2000rpm. I test drove an S5 which did the same thing and given how identical the drivetrain is on the S4 and S5 I assumed it was the exhaust.

Ah fair enough if it's coming from the boot area.

The soundaktor doesn't work through the speakers, it's like a diaphragm that vibrates against the bulkhead/firewall. The B9 does indeed have one as per this video (check from 6 mins in):

Soldato
Yes the B9 does have a soundaktor, certainly the S4 does and I think maybe some of the 3.0l diesels.
It should be under the right hand flap as you look at the car under the passenger wiper blade...

Soldato
Hah, learn something new everyday! OK so pretty sure it's not the Soundaktor I'm hearing based on that video as it happens in all drive select modes but I do need to test it in individual where I have more control over it.

I was considering using some dynamat underneath a boot liner/protector to help try to deaden the noise but that's only one possible place it may be coming in :(

Back
Top Bottom