Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Associate
Too fast is probably the wrong way to look at it. For me it's more so that my 991 is just super-competent it does everything well and it doesn't feel totally alive unless I'm driving really quickly. The number of times I get to drive really quickly a month are very few.
I always think back to the time when I sold MINI's and I had a mk1 Mini GP as a company car. That thing always felt like an event, even just driving to the shop.

My thinking is that I will use this Targa 2 days a week and it will be a little uncomfortable but exciting. I will drive some bland thing to the gym and my office 5 days a week.

We will see any way I generally don't keep anything long so the reality might not fit my expectation.

Soldato
Not sure I agree a 997 is too fast for the road. Unless you've got a Turbo S, 997s aren't 'that fast' these days. I'm also not convinced you need to go older just to get something more involving? Get a classic car because you want a classic, by all means, but if you want thrills there must be other options?

I find my CS more involving to drive than the 997s I drove, probably due to being mid engined and lighter. The 997s were older and getting a bit creeky too, my CS is tight as a drum. The 718 GTS and GT4 I drove and tracked are moreso again, but the costs were much higher.

Not picking on you Tom, just interested in why you feel that way.

I appreciate that pretty much every shopping trolley does 0-60 in 5 seconds these days, so by comparison they're not that fast. However, to really make the M97 sing at the top of the rev range you're over the speed limit. I agree with @BIGWEB that they are super competent and you can muster some crazy speeds along back roads. The perceived speed and actual speed are often quite different, with the latter being much greater! Don't get me wrong, it's an absolute joy to drive fast, but there is very limited opportunity to do so, and I had been wondering whether something with more sense of occasion would be better. It's one of the reasons that I've got a convertible, as the added drama of having the roof down with the sports exhaust singing by far outweighs the loss in performance (which I would never be able to appreciate!). Perhaps I need to find some better roads!

Perhaps I need to look into an Elise or Exige next. The problem is that the 911 is so damned good that I think I'd regret selling it.

Soldato
I totally agree re the actual speed vs perceived speed argument, hence why I went from a heavy 420bhp V8 4 door saloon to the lighter 2 seater 325bhp Cayman. I can really enjoy the Cayman without having to do silly speeds.

I tried an Exige, it was fabulous, but far too raw as a daily. I also found it tricky at junctions if a car or truck pulled up on my outside, I couldn't tell if there was any traffic coming. The Cayman is a good blend of fun/occasion and practicality for me.

Drive some cars and you'll get a better idea of what suits your goal.

Associate
I appreciate that pretty much every shopping trolley does 0-60 in 5 seconds these days, so by comparison they're not that fast. However, to really make the M97 sing at the top of the rev range you're over the speed limit. I agree with @BIGWEB that they are super competent and you can muster some crazy speeds along back roads. The perceived speed and actual speed are often quite different, with the latter being much greater! Don't get me wrong, it's an absolute joy to drive fast, but there is very limited opportunity to do so, and I had been wondering whether something with more sense of occasion would be better. It's one of the reasons that I've got a convertible, as the added drama of having the roof down with the sports exhaust singing by far outweighs the loss in performance (which I would never be able to appreciate!). Perhaps I need to find some better roads!

Perhaps I need to look into an Elise or Exige next. The problem is that the 911 is so damned good that I think I'd regret selling it.

I've just put my ad live on AT and I feel a little bit sick about it. I know that having an i3 and a classic 911 probs isn't the answer. Hopefully the Targa provides me with more highs to combat the lows of driving a fridge to work

Soldato
Picked up a 2011 Cayman S the weekend before last and, whether I'm just looking at it or actually driving it, I can't stop smiling!

Very nice, what spec/options? I sold mine earlier in the year, had it for 3+ years and aside from a number of mechanical issues (fortunately I had it under warranty!) it was a great wee sports car - the sweet spot in the Porsche range for me :)

Associate
Not sure if the image will work or not, I've shoved it on Google Drive and shared it out...it's just one from the advert, I've not taken any myself yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y3f8kxY2FSHS4EAWdnorT13NDW5RHqz5/view?usp=sharing

Not sure what's standard spec vs. options...but it's the Gen 2, manual, 60k, 3 owners...last owner of 6 years, maintained every year only covering 3-5000 miles between services, just had a major service incl. fluids, plugs, belts and disks/pads all round. It's in GT Silver, it's got the 19" alloys, matching Bridgestone tyres, heated seats, PCM3/Nav/Bose...and that's about it. No Xenons / PASM / PSE or anything like that. It was the cleanest one I saw, but I still had it inspected before I bought it and it came back with a glowing report so I snapped it up. I originally went to look at it back in March, and then the lockdown kicked in!

Caporegime
Cayman are definitely better looking than boxsters (roof up). Think boxsters edge them roof down. Handling wise I much preferred the Cayman, that extra stiffness really helps however I love the top down fun and the noise!

Soldato
Cayman are definitely better looking than boxsters (roof up). Think boxsters edge them roof down. Handling wise I much preferred the Cayman, that extra stiffness really helps however I love the top down fun and the noise!

If you want a convertible from the outset, then the boxster is ideal. I personally think the boxster looks great roof up and down.

I swayed towards a Cayman because it's stiffer and the opportunities for getting the roof down are a bit limited up here.

Soldato
Not sure if the image will work or not, I've shoved it on Google Drive and shared it out...it's just one from the advert, I've not taken any myself yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y3f8kxY2FSHS4EAWdnorT13NDW5RHqz5/view?usp=sharing

Not sure what's standard spec vs. options...but it's the Gen 2, manual, 60k, 3 owners...last owner of 6 years, maintained every year only covering 3-5000 miles between services, just had a major service incl. fluids, plugs, belts and disks/pads all round. It's in GT Silver, it's got the 19" alloys, matching Bridgestone tyres, heated seats, PCM3/Nav/Bose...and that's about it. No Xenons / PASM / PSE or anything like that. It was the cleanest one I saw, but I still had it inspected before I bought it and it came back with a glowing report so I snapped it up. I originally went to look at it back in March, and then the lockdown kicked in!

Looks good, and towards the purist end of the spec. Mine was PDK and most of the options, it was nice as my only car to switch between normal driving and a bit more of a blast.

I didn't really consider the Boxster at the time, not sure why - had a convertible before and am back in one now. It's great to get back to open-top motoring and now the V8 soundtrack which goes along with it :cool:.

Soldato
.............and the opportunities for getting the roof down are a bit limited up here.

1. If it's not raining currently = Roof Down!
2. If it's raining Light-Medium = Roof Down!
3. If it's raining Cats, Dogs and Sassenachs = Drive Faster with the roof down.

Soldato
1. If it's not raining currently = Roof Down!
2. If it's raining Light-Medium = Roof Down!
3. If it's raining Cats, Dogs and Sassenachs = Drive Faster with the roof down.

Haha. I think I've gradually been forced to soften to this view over the years.

I was thinking about this today... If I stay with the two seater theme for the next change, I think a Spyder stands a good chance :D

Soldato
Same roof strategy for me, though I have had to stop on the hard shoulder under a bridge to put the roof up when the rain got heavy enough to beat the airflow at motorway speeds :o.

'Problem' I had when looking for something to replace the Cayman was that nothing else in the Porsche range seemed enough of a change or to warrant the cost to change.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Does anyone here run a Cayenne 6cyl diesel (92A model) 2010-2014 era? I went to see one at the weekend (a MY13) at an auction place, unfortunately it had an alarming oil leak coming from somewhere low down, collecting in the tray, so i passed bothering with it.

I have since run an MOT check on a few other cars for sale, and a good few mention engine oil leaks as advisories. Googling around suggests that this engine is prone to this, and it is usually left as it is a massive engine out known issue, which explains why people might put them through an MOT and just accept the note - this issue is news to me and i am glad that i have done a little research.

Wondered if anyone here has an opinion on these cars? To me they appear beautiful, miles better than a BMW or Mercedes which will be my go to, if i cant satisfy myself that a Cayenne is a car which wont be a hassle to own.

Soldato
Didn't these eat transfer cases needing multi-thousand pound bills to repair. Only for it to break again?

F15 X5 was a much better place once you hit 2014. Tried a Cayenne V8 DIesel (Monster!), but for the equivalent price at the time BMW X5 M50d (£40k) the Porsche had 15-20k more miles, was 3yrs older and was old hat in comparison to the tech of the BMW,.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I dont agree with the F15 BMW, that is my other go to option alongside an ML, i like them, and i actually have an F25 which i also like, but it is not anything like as nice as the Porsche.

The technology being "better" in the BMW is like arguing that a SNES is more powerful than a NES at this point in their lives - both have old systems both capable of receiving bluetooth audio, both have upgraded hifi options with nice amplifiers, both have reasonable monitors, and in cluster colour LCD displays. That is where it ends for me on that specific front :)

Having said that, i feel as though i know where i am with a BMW. They dont scare me, the Porsche does, a bit. I am yet to learn about transfer cases on them! As you note also, the Porsche is terrible used value. I can live with bad value for a nicer product though hence pursuing them at all.

Back
Top Bottom