• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Regrets going from Intel to AMD?

Caporegime
A friend of mine went from a 7700k setup to a 3800X setup and regrets not paying more for a 9900K. His complaints are rather trivial, but I'll note them here:

1. His 'new' PC takes three times as long to boot compared to his old Intel one
2. Fan on his motherboard is noisy
3. He transfers lots of files via SATA3 (he has a work-case for transferring lots of times to SATA SSD's). The Ryzen system is bugged and doesn't give full SATA3 speeds. I'd heard nothing of this, but apparently SATA3 on Ryzen has a known issue where it's slower than Intel's implementation.

Boot times are just as fast on the ryzen system as on the Intel, about 10 seconds, I'm using the same SSD and that is performing the same and at the speeds it's meant to.

Associate
Boot times are just as fast on the ryzen system as on the Intel, about 10 seconds, I'm using the same SSD and that is performing the same and at the speeds it's meant to.

I have the same "issue" with boot times being slower than my old Intel system, as does my friend (also 3700X) - its quite a common "issue". Doesn't bother me as its still plenty fast enough.

Caporegime
I have the same "issue" with boot times being slower than my old Intel system, as does my friend (also 3700X) - its quite a common "issue". Doesn't bother me as its still plenty fast enough.
Are you measuring that including the Bios slash scree? The Bios takes longer on my 350 board but as soon as its past that I'm on the login screen in 3 seconds flat.
I don't get hove people can notice it as that much longer, the BIOS on every board is different and beyond that it's so fast its at the login screen before you plant your derriere in the seat.

Caporegime
Check the motherboard, the ASMedia chip set on 300 and 400 series boards is crap, its why AMD switched to using thier own, some of the SATA3 plugs are from the chip set, make sure you're connected to the ones on the CPU, your board manual will tell you which ones are connected to where.

Associate
Are you measuring that including the Bios slash scree? The Bios takes longer on my 350 board but as soon as its past that I'm on the login screen in 3 seconds flat.
I don't get hove people can notice it as that much longer, the BIOS on every board is different and beyond that it's so fast its at the login screen before you plant your derriere in the seat.

Yes, always measuring from cold boot for both AMD and Intel.

Caporegime
Yes, always measuring from cold boot for both AMD and Intel.

Then you're including BIOS initialization time, which differs from board to board anyany,
My B350 certainly takes twice as long as my Z97 did to get to and past the splash screen but as soon as it starts to access the drive and load up windows it's done that just a couple of seconds.

Associate
Then you're including BIOS initialization time, which differs from board to board anyany,
My B350 certainly takes twice as long to get to and past the splash screen but as soon as it starts to access the drive and load up windows it's done that just a couple of seconds.

Yes, which is the point - that seems to take longer on most AMD systems vs Intel equivalents, as you are also experiencing.

Soldato
Yes, which is the point - that seems to take longer on most AMD systems vs Intel equivalents, as you are also experiencing.

I don’t think I’ve ever measured boot cold times on any system.

Is that down to the Intel fast boot linked to the windows kernel?

Associate
Yes, for some reason the BIOS on AMD seems to take longer to initialize, it's a few seconds vs a few more, meh... First World problems :)
Very much so, which is why issue was in quotation marks in my original post.

I don’t think I’ve ever measured boot cold times on any system.

Is that down to the Intel fast boot linked to the windows kernel?
Maybe? I've not sat there with a stopwatch and timed it exactly, it was just noticably longer than any previous Intel system I've owned, and longer than my Intel laptop. Its not a big deal at all though.

Soldato
Very much so, which is why issue was in quotation marks in my original post.

Maybe? I've not sat there with a stopwatch and timed it exactly, it was just noticably longer than any previous Intel system I've owned, and longer than my Intel laptop. Its not a big deal at all though.

It’s just an interesting topic (increasingly rare for the forum) to understand why that would be the case. As pointed out it’s going to be heavily hardware config dependent and Fastboot is a topical subject in itself. Windows creates a compressed file from the last session to used on the next boot, but it can cause problems for the next session.

Caporegime
It’s just an interesting topic (increasingly rare for the forum) to understand why that would be the case. As pointed out it’s going to be heavily hardware config dependent and Fastboot is a topical subject in itself. Windows creates a compressed file from the last session to used on the next boot, but it can cause problems for the next session.
I don't trust fast boot for this reason, never ever used it, I boot off an SSD, don't need fast boot....

Associate
I am new to Ryzen, is it normal for the clock speed of the cpu to fluctuate during gaming? i.e not always go capped speed?

Yes as the CPU is not going to be loaded at 100%. It will boost as required for the current load, thermal and power limits allowing. That fluctuation should not be affecting gaming performance.

Associate
In my opinion, I regret that I hadn't switched over sooner! I was always an Intel fanboy and never chose anybody else. I only recently built a new PC with a ryzen chip and I was amazing. At the price I bought my CPU for, I could've spent double with intel to get the same performance!

Back
Top Bottom