PC freezing for a few seconds every minute or so... any ideas?

Associate
Hi guys and gals,

My PC seems to be freezing for a few seconds every minute or so, sometime less, I'm not sure what's going on. I've noticed it it primarily while I was playing Fallen Order, and can see peaks and troughs on the Strix GPU monitor. After coming out of the game I've noticed it while surfing the net and typing etc, so it's not just game related.

I'm running an Athlon 3900X, Vega 64 GPU, 16Gb RAM, so it shouldn't be struggling. I'm about to try some driver changes, but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas of why it's happening.

Image of GPU and Memory clock:

bsry0Z6

https://ibb.co/bsry0Z

Cheers,

Jed

Soldato
Get the resource monitor up and check the running processes to see what's spiking and causing the issue. Pic doesn't work by the way. Anything overclocked?

Associate
OP
I'm still getting some freezing, not as bad as before. Can anyone tell me what's going on in the resource monitor? The blue line in the CPU graph ramps up to 100% at the start, not sure what that represents. There are a number of programs showing as Suspended. This list started off low and doubled in size after a few minutes watching.

https://ibb.co/Jkx9qfJ

https://ibb.co/RSpJspY

There also seems to be a lot of Hard Disk activity as well...

And what are the Hard Faults showing in Memory?

Associate
Assuming you are the only user on your machine that would install anything, then If you have no idea how YourPhone got on your machine then I'd be concerned that either you or someone else may have installed something on it that could be malware related. Firstly, run a full virus scan on your computer. Secondly, download and run the Malwarebytes free trial. If there is anything bad on your machine, then between your anti-virus and Malwarebytes, it should be found.

Associate
Also, try running the following on the command line:

wmic diskdrive get status

You should see a bunch of "OK"'s, if you see any entries with "BAD", "CAUTION" or "UNKNOWN", then each of those entries relates to a disk in your machine that either has issues or may be failing.

Associate
you aren't showing frame rates using the radeon software are you? I was doing some benchmarking recently and found if I was running a high resolution then the frame rates would drop down to 3 or 4 a few times - if I turned off the radeon on screen frame rate the slowdowns disappeared.

Associate
It wouldn't hurt to run a program like LatencyMon in order to uncover hardware or software issues that might cause freezes as the ones you describe. My friend had a similar issue with an Asus X570. The wifi/Bluetooth on the motherboard was causing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom