I miss how gaming made me feel

Caporegime
I find it's usually folk with severe mental health issues that are addicted to mmorpg type games.

You don't sound healthy at all both mentally and physically.

Maybe join a gym or build a home one.

4d4fa84724817ae86a5da9b9434e905d.png

Permabanned
I was so into that game my mum sold my computer to force me going outside around ~2005. As I was a right hermit otherwise!

Damn that's harsh I would have gone mental.

Seems I got off lightly with that £800 phone bill.

Thank you Wireplay dialup at 5p a minute. Was still worth it.

Although I was sent into the fields to wash onions to pay it back lol.

Soldato
Damn that's harsh I would have gone mental.

Seems I got off lightly with that £800 phone bill.

Thank you Wireplay dialup at 5p a minute. Was still worth it.

Although I was sent into the fields to wash onions to pay it back lol.

It's not like 14/15 year old me had much of a leg to stand on! Admittedly I'm happy she did now as it made me learn how to skateboard and, more importantly, social skills - believe it or not :p

Soldato
I'm 36, some of my earliest memories are playing games;

Amiga 500 with parents and friends - many many great games. Some I still remember the music and intros, even from when I was 7 years old
Master system with cousins - going back to when i was 4 or 5
Megadrive with friends
SNES
N64 - Goldeneye on 4 player split screen
PS1 - Tony Hawk
Arcade games a Warner Bros cinema and at Meadowhall. Ridge Racer in the full size car at Meadowhall in the 90s was a favourite and Street fighter 2 turbo of course

Games are still fun but I just think as you grow older there are more entertaining things... 'coke and hookers'
Times do change, people grow up, get families etc. Be happy you had the great gaming memories.

My question is, I wonder if the youth of today (5 - 10 year olds) will remember current games as we remembered games like Sonic, Street fighter, Street of rage, California Games, Goldeneye, THPS, Goldenaxe, Lemmings etc. etc. Basically what I would call 'classics' What classics of today will still be played in 2050!!??

Caporegime
Says the guy with his pink mouse pretending to be like his CS idol

ROFLMAYONNAISE!!!!!111111oneeeeeee

See it's people who have an issue with the pink mouse who are actually the ones with a problem.

You do know pink historically is for boys right?

It's cool to go with the herd though.

I'm not being funny but everyone I know who plays those types of games are heavy weed Smokers or morbidly obese and single.

They attract people with mental health issues and are geared up to take up as much of their time as possible.

They force you to play daily for several hours to stay relevant and try and get the good loot you need to do the big raids.

There is a guy on here who lost his wife and kids to one. You know you have issues if you are attracted to a game more than real people.

Cs has no loot. No need to farm. No need to dedicate 40 hours per week. You can play for as little as you want. A game here and there. Not long 6-12 hour marathons just to get a raid done.

Caporegime
I got heckled loads for having my yera of birth in my tag, got bombarded so much I paid to change it lol, and it's like I'm 33, have my own house, nice car, good job, travel and I'm allowing these people to bring me down further.

I'd keep it, I don't play online, if/when I get a PS5 I'm tempted to try it and use a username including DOB for some extra entertainment! :D

Associate
Yep another player from the 90's-00's, loved it, TF, DOD etc, 1999-2002.

7 year break and in 2009 a new PC, sucked into the world of Left for Dead, Race 07 and Arma 2. Awesome times, took me right back to 2000. Met some great players. Do miss those days.

With right minded individuals on random servers it's been fine. Nowadays, you can have say a couple of great games on TF2, then a map change or whatever, people disappear! Whereas before, certain servers were awesome - you got to know who would be online, play a few matches for the night etc. The next night the same players were there. Seems harder now, finding the same server I played on the night before. Every time it will be someone new so you don't really get to know in a virtual sense.

Yep you can try new hobbies/exercise which will likely be healthier and more social but only you can make that decision. If your primary hobby is gaming, try a new genre or dip your toe into retro gaming? Take Arma 2/3 you can create your own missions. It's such an undersold aspect of the game.

Permabanned
OP
I should have added to the original post the reason I use it as a social tool with my old friends is because I now live 2 1/2 hours away. I moved here to start a new life and whilst that life has it's perks, I do miss the days of yesteryear.

Taking peoples thoughts onboard it seems I'm not even part way up the hill, and this feeling will only get stronger unless I replace it in a way.

Gaming will always be a part of my life. I just need to find players for causal gaming whilst chasing other dreams.

Caporegime
mmorpgs aren't casual gaming though. they are literally the opposite. people realise they are a waste of time and move on or they go the opposite way and it's all they do and think about.

Man of Honour
mmorpgs aren't casual gaming though. they are literally the opposite. people realise they are a waste of time and move on or they go the opposite way and it's all they do and think about.

There are a lot of people who sit between those two positions.

Soldato
Cs has no loot. No need to farm. No need to dedicate 40 hours per week. You can play for as little as you want. A game here and there. Not long 6-12 hour marathons just to get a raid done.
This is why I dislike a lot of modern gaming. Mechanisms to make you invest too much time have always existed but now it's also real money if you get sucked in.

I don't think MMOs are necessarily all bad. I've played some myself and still put the odd hour or two into City of Heroes if I'm in the mood. Loot boxes are more of a concern to me.

Anyways OP, something I really enjoyed doing a while back was replaying classics from my youth. I completed Super Mario World not long ago and it was really good fun and gave me the buzz I craved :)

Soldato
They'll find a way around it. Things like loot boxes ruined some games - such as Destiny 2. At the start it was literally built around the loot box mechanism

Soldato
There are a lot of people who sit between those two positions.
I've been through the whole spectrum. Staying up until 3am playing City of Heroes or Everquest 2 wasn't the best period of my life. I was playing with some workmates so it wasn't totally antisocial but there comes a moment where you get fed up with feeling like crap in the mornings. I tried WOW a few years later but stopped playing after a week. Now I just like playing casual or story-based stuff. Sometimes I'll blitz a game for a week to completion then I'll not play anything for a month.

The loot box stuff definitely adds an extra layer of addiction though. You just know that these companies must be consulting psychologists and the like to make everything as addictive as possible. It's bloody unethical, especially when young kids are dragged into it.

With online gaming I think I do miss the communities of the early 90's - it wasn't toxic then.

Last edited:
Soldato
See it's people who have an issue with the pink mouse who are actually the ones with a problem.

You do know pink historically is for boys right?

It's cool to go with the herd though.

I'm not being funny but everyone I know who plays those types of games are heavy weed Smokers or morbidly obese and single.

They attract people with mental health issues and are geared up to take up as much of their time as possible.

They force you to play daily for several hours to stay relevant and try and get the good loot you need to do the big raids.

There is a guy on here who lost his wife and kids to one. You know you have issues if you are attracted to a game more than real people.

I play WoW classic pretty avidly and I lift weights 4-6 times a week, a lot of people who I play WoW with lift weights/exercise, are in relationships, have their wifes/girlfriends play with them. You sound like the average person from the Counter-Strike community, utterly toxic, which I used to be part of back in the 1.6 days.

We raid twice a week, you only need to turn up once a week, the raids last 2 hours. You might need to spend an hour before that preparing. Huge commitment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom