Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
£32 here for M200, should be £29 (per my contract), though I hate calling VM.

I want to upgrade to M500 with Oomph (5GB SIM) ...though I really don't want to call VM, every time I've called in the past it's just been such hard work getting anywhere with them.
I should mention I get phone in with that for £36, great for download games, I'd like to get 500Mb but the price doesn't warrant the upgrade, only takes about 10 mins to download 50GB I'm happy enough with that

Associate
What real world download speeds are people getting in the M500 package ?

Like most VM BB services they're set for around 10% over stated speed so that statistics won't show them under performing with some loss of performance.

I've had M500 package for a year and its often in the 300 to 400 Mbps range at the busy times of the day, although I had the same issue with lower speed VM packages before so its still a step up.

Soldato
y4mnYGakVoPb9-wqhX-E5dx6b0rFkNBXDL5mNBbn8x6DfsdKgIdsz8TV7g9GSRyP71JAc-fIKKt5zZyJsio6_NnHKzECcemwBe_ud6vOOUU_rP9uU8RP-0vXRiOJ1APaENBi2PG0j2enNVaNfCN7zsGqXwrKwDs-nZBIASO8RL1jRQps4uR3loUhtHx32d58S_bBR7qJqUJBFevwuKq_nZFVQ

I'm on Ultimate Oomph

Associate
Virgin Media dug our road up around a month ago. I thought they laid coaxial? After speaking to a number of their guys they said it's fibre not coaxial. I've heard people mention latency issues and drop outs with Virgin. Is this a backbone issue or the fact they've used fibre in my street would that help?

Soldato
As I understand it they lay fibre into the road and then it coaxial into the house.

The major things here are:

Latency : Tends to be just an DOCSIS (technology) issue compared with BT (FTTC/P), unless you're a massive fast FPS online pro gamer that must have the best latency then no problem here.

Bandwidth Issues : If you live in an area with a large population and Virgin are the only people that offer broadband then you might have issues with an oversubscribed network. See if you have a local FACEBOOK group where you can ask other people opinions on Virgin or go on the Virgin forums.

Drop out : Can be local issue or backbone (we've had two backbone issues in recent memory). When this is the case I find it best not to frustrate yourself by trying to call Support, it's a fools errand, just wait for in to come back and use a mobile with 4G to create a local wifi hotspot.

Associate
As I understand it they lay fibre into the road and then it coaxial into the house.

The major things here are:

Latency : Tends to be just an DOCSIS (technology) issue compared with BT (FTTC/P), unless you're a massive fast FPS online pro gamer that must have the best latency then no problem here.

Bandwidth Issues : If you live in an area with a large population and Virgin are the only people that offer broadband then you might have issues with an oversubscribed network. See if you have a local FACEBOOK group where you can ask other people opinions on Virgin or go on the Virgin forums.

Drop out : Can be local issue or backbone (we've had two backbone issues in recent memory). When this is the case I find it best not to frustrate yourself by trying to call Support, it's a fools errand, just wait for in to come back and use a mobile with 4G to create a local wifi hotspot.

Thanks for clarifying. They only started doing my town this year. Around Feb they started, I can't imagine many have signed up. Interestingly after all these years as soon as Virgin started laying BT are starting to survey for putting FTTP to people's homes in my town. Seems bizarre why they would fibre to your pavement but then coaxial to your house but I guess it's because they use DOCSIS.

Soldato
Yep, we had FTTC for last 2/3 years, middle of last year we got Virgin (Project Lightening). I'm in a small market town just outside Cambridge and we're now spoilt for Broadband in terms of FTTC and LLU providers, obviously the plethora of providers means for me contention just isn't an issue.

Caporegime
Virgin Media dug our road up around a month ago. I thought they laid coaxial? After speaking to a number of their guys they said it's fibre not coaxial. I've heard people mention latency issues and drop outs with Virgin. Is this a backbone issue or the fact they've used fibre in my street would that help?
If you are a new area then you get fibre, if they are just filling in a few roads within a wider coaxial area then they do coaxial.

The fibre is RFoG and then converted to DOCSIS by a box on the outside of each house. It is immune to noise issues creeping into the network, but any bugs in cable modem firmware or congestion within Virgin's network are still going to be there. I wouldn't expect latency to change.

Caporegime
Install is tomorrow for me, the town has never had VM so I would imagine it's fibre they've laid although I'll ask the engineer who turns up.

Wouldn't make sense to still be laying older technology in 2020 when they plan to have everyone on Gig1 in a few years time.

I've seen a few people with sub 10ms pings on the Gig1 service so improvements must be there.

Back
Top Bottom