US: Westworld

Caporegime
TBH wasn't any better or worse written than your average TV show these days, but not the level I expect from Westworld.
Rubbish, it was awfully written given the production values and taking into account the pedigree of the previous seasons (although season 2 had a drop in quality, it was still decent). S3 is just plain bad and has shoddy writing by any reasonable standards, so shrugging it off as "no better or worse than any other TV program" is in itself a baffling level of 'playing devils advocate' and just... wrong. It is not intended as an average TV show as though we are talking about a series of some low-budget drama flick.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Rubbish, it was awfully written given the production values and taking into account the pedigree of the previous seasons (although season 2 had a drop in quality, it was still decent). S3 is just plain bad and has shoddy writing by any reasonable standards, so shrugging it off as "no better or worse than any other TV program" is in itself a baffling level of 'playing devils advocate' and just... wrong. It is not intended as an average TV show as though we are talking about a series of some low-budget drama flick.

Eh what? I even said it isn't the level I'd expect from Westworld...

EDIT: What I will say however is that I have revised down my opinion since some previous posts - at the time I gave them the benefit that they were going somewhere with many points that ultimately once it has all been said and done lead to nothing or were throw in carelessly as if to tick off a box and never properly utilised, etc.

On the other hand I'm not saying it was no better or worse than any other TV program in defence of it - the writing falls far short of what I'd expect from Westworld but objectively it isn't that terrible relative to your average TV show - there are some glaring inconsistencies but about half of those that people bring up are due to them missing background information/significance though that is excusable given how much of a mess of it the writers/producers ultimately made - whoever was involved clearly falls far short of being able to handle all the loose ends and spurious unintended consequences the intricate layers of story needed for this produce (never mind actually developing a layered and intricate story).

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a few friends that have no desire to watch season 3 because of season 2.

I'm glad season 3 wasn't West World as we know it, especially after season 2. Dull and stale beyond belief.

Season 3 is better and more engaging. But, it all comes back to the writing. This show has big production but a terrible script. The story of season 3 should have been epic, a roller coaster of wow moments and 'I can't believe its'. But again, the story telling just doesn't hit the mark.

Caporegime
I have a few friends that have no desire to watch season 3 because of season 2.

I'm glad season 3 wasn't West World as we know it, especially after season 2. Dull and stale beyond belief.

Season 3 is better and more engaging. But, it all comes back to the writing. This show has big production but a terrible script. The story of season 3 should have been epic, a roller coaster of wow moments and 'I can't believe its'. But again, the story telling just doesn't hit the mark.
S2 was (imho) utter carp.

S1 was good/decent. S2 lined up all the sharks and had Eddie the Eagle jump them in a shopping trolley. I just about hung on to see the ending of S2, and my eyes almost rolled out of my head.

After that was no chance of watching S3. Better things to do!

Soldato
S3 is a flop and the viewing figures reflect it. Almost a 60% drop apparently. I watched 3 episodes and lost interest. It will be cancelled I bet.

S1 was good but it was carried by Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah the more I reflect on Season 3 the worst it looks - it feels like they were just running through a checklist of ideas/concepts without putting in any development of them at all.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Great show, loved every season. Putting up against the rest of TV is simple rest of TV is a 4/10 westworld is 9/10.

Thats the problem with sci-fi everyone's a nerd and so so quick to criticise.

Caporegime
Thats the problem with sci-fi everyone's a nerd and so so quick to criticise.
Only people who are generally a bit dim say silly stuff like this. I mean seriously, read that sentence back to yourself and then try and explain what it actually means, other than being a simplistic and inarticulate expression of frustration that you liked it and many other people didn't.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes i am dim, deal with it i guess or put me on mute, probably the best, wouldn't want to sower your huge intellect.

Man of Honour
Well just finished this and it was pretty bad, I don't see how they can call it Westworld.

They tried to play with the for want of a better way to put it metaphysical concept of what Westworld fundamentally is. But there is zero development they've literally just gone through a checklist of concepts and ticked them off without putting any effort in to interweave them into a narrative, etc.

Associate
In my opinion, they should have stopped at season 1. Season 2, was confusing and slow, and felt like filler. Season 3, is so far removed from the park, trying to expand the universe and in doing so destroys the main concept of the show, West World.

Instead, they could have kept it in the park, leaving the mystery of the outside at that. They should have delivered new tourists to the park and the shenanigans of the Delos employee's. Or better still just kept it to one series and leave it.

But what the heck after Season 8 of Game of Thrones, why am I surprised HBO allowed season 2 and 3 to be made.

Associate
It's the American way, I don't know if it's a difference in the way contracts are made or a cultural thing but British TV Show creators seem to have a lot more power to say "yes I get it was a success, but our story is told, it's done", the American response seems to be "fine, make way for someone who will then, it's renewed, end of".

Back
Top Bottom