The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Wait, what? You don't get the extra bit at the end? Don't want to say to much here for fear of spoiler. That's an interesting decision.
I think what @Josh meant was that because RDR1 was never released on PC, those with only a PC are unable to continue the story from after RDR2.

I've also just finished RDR2 and found it very hard going initially, however by the end really wished it was not yet over. I'd rate it at 9/10, this is arguable the most immersive open world ever created, but OMG the shooting and melee mechanics are like something from an early 2000s game.

Soldato
Gears Tactics via XBOX Game Pass.

A Solid 8/10. It can easily be a 9 if they add more content but they are going to have to up their game further to get close to the giddy heights XCom 2 levels of DLC.

Associate
Ori and the blind forest - 9/10. Absolutely fantastic game. Only reason I am not giving it a 10 is I think Hollow Knight is just that tiny bit better - maybe it should be 9.5? It is really brilliant.

Soldato
Heavy Rain- 8.5/10 was a nice collection of characters, good story mixed with great atmosphere and varied scenes.I played it with a pad which is ideal as I think otherwise it would be tough for this game.

Caporegime
The Evil Within - 8.5/10

Bloody hell, what a ride that was. Great artwork for the locations and the monsters and tense in places, not quite Alien Isolation levels but not far off. Hadn't got a clue what was going on with the story though. Apparently the sequel is even better, so I'll tackle that next.

Soldato
RDR2 - 10/10

What an unbelievably stunning game. The graphics and environmental effects provide so many epic moments for screenshots/new desktop backgrounds :)

The soundtrack is perfectly chosen to reflect the mood and progression of the masterfully crafted story.

If you’re anything like me - an incredibly fussy git who dismisses the majority of ‘AAA’ titles as throwaway forgettable garbage then play RDR2. It’ll be with you forever.

Soldato
RDR2 - 10/10

What an unbelievably stunning game. The graphics and environmental effects provide so many epic moments for screenshots/new desktop backgrounds :)

The soundtrack is perfectly chosen to reflect the mood and progression of the masterfully crafted story.

If you’re anything like me - an incredibly fussy git who dismisses the majority of ‘AAA’ titles as throwaway forgettable garbage then play RDR2. It’ll be with you forever.

Man, I wish I could get into that game. I just find it painfully slow and aimless.

Caporegime
Both Ori games, the first was very good albeit a little frustrating at times and the second was excellent, an improvement in every way imo.

1 - 8/10
2 - 9/10

Both beautifully presented.

Soldato
Man, I wish I could get into that game. I just find it painfully slow and aimless.

The prologue is a little slow but it quite quickly picks up pace once you’re out in the open world.

Once you’ve unlocked fast travel that helps too. Can set up a camp pretty much wherever you are then use the fast travel from there. Save running back and forth between towns to use the stagecoach.

Give it a chance, you’ll be glad you did :)

Caporegime
RDR2 has to be played at the pace it was intended imo. I bought it on console and the slow pace irritated me but double dipped on PC and played at a much more relaxed pace, taking the time to take in the world they’ve created and I found it so much more enjoyable.

Caporegime
Amid Evil.

+ amazing music and sound
+ use of colour
+ artistry and creativity

- some of the enemy designs were forgettable

If you generally like first-person shooters then you should try this.

Currently, you can pick this and Dusk up on Steam for well under a score.

Man of Honour
Remnant from the Ashes - 7.5/10

I really enjoyed this game once I got into it. Most of the bosses provided a challenge. You could not "over level" yourself by grinding out bad guys to level-up your weapons past a certain point which was kinda cool. I thought the game could have been a bit longer giving me more time to increase the other skill cards. Graphics were good and the sound was good. The gun mechanics were fantastic - wish though I could have more than two equipped guns at time but regardless it was fun.

One piece of advice: I'd suggest for the first play through to stick with your current weapons and try to find good armor early on and stick with it.
This game was great in 3 player coop. I wish there were more games like it on game pass.

Associate
That I haven't posted in this thread in 4 years is telling. Even then it seems I was struggling to maintain an interest in gaming. While I have dipped in and out of some games in the interim I haven't played any games through to completion until very recently. Is this due to Covid-19 and lockdown? Perhaps in part. Maybe also that I have moved in with my partner that I met in 2018 and have more free time to play games than I did when we lived separately (yes, really!). I have created a spreadsheet of games that I intend to play to contend with the paralysis of choice I otherwise suffer... nothing says fun than a bit of surrounding order and admin. I hope that this helps me keep momentum now.

Football Manager 2020 (7/10)

Difficult to rate really, like crack is (probably) difficult to assign a review and rating. The first FM game I've bought since playing Champ Man all those years ago. I'd have hoped that the match engine was more refined but can't deny it was addictive. It's not really a game that one "completes" but I won the CL with Spurs, have filled the squad with wonderkids and subsequently lost interest from there.

Played and completed in this order since early May 2020:

Battletech (7.5/10)

I don't play the tabletop game version of this, but who doesn't love mechs firing lasers, huge rounds and missiles at each other? I know I do. This is a turn based tactical game that I put a lot of hours in to. Steam says I've put 84 hours in, second only to Football Manager 2020. The game mechanics allowed me to largely play with a lance full of up-close-and-personal brawler / "tank" builds rather then anything ultra tactical (eg: sniping / sensor-locking and LRM missile boats) and I wouldn't have it any other way. I recognise that it was produced on a fairly low budget but it would have been nice if the graphics, animations and assets allowed for a greater sense of scale and damage. It was difficult to really feel that the units were huge mechs and that's incredibly important. I hope that there is a sequel that improves significantly upon this aspect and should they choose to crowdfund I will once again invest.

Disco Elysium (8/10)

A difficult game to describe, I had difficulty really understanding how it played despite reading and viewing reviews but after seeing all the plaudits for it and feeling that I was still unsure that I wanted to play a more "action" orientated game I decided to just find out for myself. Technically I suppose it is a sort of CRPG at its base, but with skill checks on dialogue options rather than classic combat (turn-based or real-time). In a sense this aspect made it feel as though they'd integrated a point 'n' click adventure in to this strange yet successful CRPG hybrid. Obviously this makes it text heavy but despite the fact that my attention span is shorter than it perhaps ought to be I felt engaged and really enjoyed it. It's funny too. Smart but not pretentious. Although if you want pretentious, it's got plenty of that, should you choose it.

Metro: Exodus (7.5/10)

I just completed this tonight. I think I'll check a couple of reviews of the DLC and decide whether to play those or move on. I enjoyed it but I could really have done without the odd QTE they've shoehorned in, I guess to make the cut-scenes feel "interactive". It's not necessary. Viewing a cut-scene while wondering whether I'm going to have to quickly hammer the "E" key is not immersive, it's distracting so has the opposite effect, please stop this! I liked that there were different environments this time. The desert stage in particular made it feel like a blend of that open-world Mad Max game that came out a few years back and a Far Cry game (3 to 5, take yer pick!) in that you had to take bases on the map and could choose between stealth with sneaky take-downs and suppressed weapons or full on assault. Much better than Far Cry for me however in that this game allows you to move on to different environments and mixes things up a little rather than the rinse and repeat ad infinitum of the Ubisoft game series.

Last edited:
Soldato
GTA 5. Underwhelmed. Bug ridden mess (the amount of times I had to save and reload to get certain missions to show up was ludicrous). Had to alt-tab out so many times to find out how to do certain missions. The controls for some of the vehicles or modes of transport were awful. On the plus side Trevor was always a laugh to play as. 6/10

Soldato
GTA 5. Underwhelmed. Bug ridden mess (the amount of times I had to save and reload to get certain missions to show up was ludicrous). Had to alt-tab out so many times to find out how to do certain missions. The controls for some of the vehicles or modes of transport were awful. On the plus side Trevor was always a laugh to play as. 6/10
the missions will appear on some missions once you are called if you reload you just skip that step :p
not sure why you had to alt-tab either but glad to did finish its pretty decent but not the best GTA that was san-andreas or vice city

Soldato
I think what @Josh meant was that because RDR1 was never released on PC, those with only a PC are unable to continue the story from after RDR2.

I've also just finished RDR2 and found it very hard going initially, however by the end really wished it was not yet over. I'd rate it at 9/10, this is arguable the most immersive open world ever created, but OMG the shooting and melee mechanics are like something from an early 2000s game.
i did enjoy rdr2 but put it down 3/4 the way through & its so hard to go back and want to contuine the end is such a slog.

Back
Top Bottom