Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 1/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (1) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Merc are just too dominant now it needs to change

Punish a team for being too successful and working too hard? Not making as many screw-ups as the other teams and having the fastest drivers?

As Christian Horner used to be fond of saying, "it's not our fault the other teams aren't doing as good a job as they should be".

Soldato
Lol! We get it, give it a rest dude.
Look I've watched just about every f1 race for over 30 years, it doesn't feel like a competition at the moment.

I for the last 13 years I have cheered Hamilton at every race, but now even sky seemed to be saying the only race is for third. It rather devalues the whole thing.

I shall be hoping Russell manages to achieve something. Hopefully Max or Charles will put up a fight

Soldato
Sorry, I just don't get it, the fia should have had the guts to just say no, they managed to ban the fan car after one race and I'm sure many other things.

The FIA did not ban the fan car, it was ruled legal by the FIA for the rest of the season, but Brabham withdrew it voluntarily.

It's all a bit daft. Like the Harry Kane goal last night, the Tottenham player falls over because he is fouled, the Sheffield player kicks the ball against his shoulder it bounces to Kane who scores, goal disallowed after five minutes of VAR for hand ball in the build up, rules are rules.

The fact that it's banned for next year shows that they don't want it in F1.

Mercedes found a loophole in the rules and exploited it, as so many successful teams in the past have done. The FIA confirmed to Mercedes that it was within this year's rules, and changed it for next year (with Mercedes agreement) so that loophole is closed. F1 is pretty much a history of exploiting loopholes in the rules for advantage.

Soldato
Punish a team for being too successful and working too hard? Not making as many screw-ups as the other teams and having the fastest drivers?

As Christian Horner used to be fond of saying, "it's not our fault the other teams aren't doing as good a job as they should be".
Oh I agree, but it has gone on for a while now it seems as if Merc are basically bankrupting most other teams.
Good luck to red bull, but they weren't very impressive today.

Soldato
Oh I agree, but it has gone on for a while now it seems as if Merc are basically bankrupting most other teams.
Good luck to red bull, but they weren't very impressive today.

How many championships and races did Schumacher win at Ferrari? I don't recall anyone saying how Ferrari was bankrupting the rest of the teams.

If you want to keep the teams going financially, a better division of the profits would work better, and not giving Ferrari a chunk of cash just for showing up. That's still not going to stop teams going wrong when they've mortgaged themselves to the hilt like McLaren or Williams.

Soldato
How many championships and races did Schumacher win at Ferrari? I don't recall anyone saying how Ferrari was bankrupting the rest of the teams.

If you want to keep the teams going financially, a better division of the profits would work better, and not giving Ferrari a chunk of cash just for showing up. That's still not going to stop teams going wrong when they've mortgaged themselves to the hilt like McLaren or Williams.
I agree, before Schumacher it was senna and prost, I think McLaren won 15 out of 16 races one year. Schumacher won his championships at benetton and then Ferrari, they were somehow less of a forgone conclusion.
I believe teams only dominated for 2 or 3 years for the most part. Heck we all got fed up when red bull were winning all the time but that was only 4 or 5 years.

Merc are obviously only as good as they are because they use so much resource. Ferrari always beggars belief,.
No one else has the spending power.

Anyway I really do hope Ferrari and red bull improve tomorrow quite often races throw up surprises.

Soldato
I agree, before Schumacher it was senna and prost, I think McLaren won 15 out of 16 races one year. Schumacher won his championships at benetton and then Ferrari, they were somehow less of a forgone conclusion.
I believe teams only dominated for 2 or 3 years for the most part. Heck we all got fed up when red bull were winning all the time but that was only 4 or 5 years.

Merc are obviously only as good as they are because they use so much resource. Ferrari always beggars belief,.
No one else has the spending power.

Anyway I really do hope Ferrari and red bull improve tomorrow quite often races throw up surprises.

I find it difficult to chastise Mercedes for doing the best job. Yes, they spend a lot of money, but so do Red Bull and Ferrari, and those two teams are simply not doing a good enough job. It's like criticising Serena Williams or Usain Bolt for winning because they are naturally talented and work harder, and are rightfully successful.

I can see how some people will find that boring, but I don't think penalising the successful teams is the way to make the sport more exciting. Ultimately, the fastest cars/teams/drivers will end up at the front, and that's how it should be. I personally think if you want more excitement and more uncertainty, then you need to allow in-season development and testing. This would allow teams that are behind to risk reliability for speed and upgrades. Front runners would then have to decide to get overtaken or make risky developments themselves. This would also give teams further down the grid the opportunity to innovate and find their own loopholes to give them advantage on track.

I think that in general that F1 got more predictable when everything got more reliable and in-season development was stopped. It meant that the big teams with big resources could put themselves at the front with no pressure from the teams behind them, and no need to worry about what other teams might bring to the next race to upset the apple cart.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Double blow for Horner seeing Vitantonio Liuzzi on the team of stewards that confirmed it legal. Strike one off his Red Bull Christmas card list.

Soldato
No surprise. Mercedes developed DAS while checking with the FIA all the way, exactly so it wouldn't breach the rules. If they'd kept it secret and then sprung it on the stewards, then it might have gone the other way if the stewards or FIA interpreted the rules differently from Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom