How is Hatfield to live in general?

Soldato
Looked about with the missus and in general you get good spaces and houses for the money, budget is about 400k so not jetsetters. Not really lived that end and only go up to say Stevenage a few times a year so not much experience either.
Mostly going for the little one as Enfield has become rather scummy the last few years and schools are purported to be good that end, shes starting next year.
If it matters we're brown folk and technically indo-caribbean though i was born here, wife is from Guyana, South America, same as my parents. I know some areas might be problematic in that aspect.
Not tooo worried in that aspect but it is a consideration i suppose.
Just don't want to move from a not so ideal place to another, commute will have about 10 miles added to it as she works in WoodGreen but apart from that i don't see any real issues?

Soldato
It's not great, Welwyn is better. Hertford and Ware are nice town's too. Knebworth is ok if you don't mind living in a village.
St Alban's is probably going to be too expensive, but another nice town.

Soldato
Last time I was there, it was full of old people... and people who still live with their elderly parents, despite being old enough to be parents themselves... and people who still live with their (usually disabled) parents because they're also the part-time carers.
Shopmobility was possibly one of the most powerful organisations in town, if the general conversations were to be believed.
The Galleria (?) shopping centre was alright, I guess, though I mostly went there at night for eating out and the cinema.

Most people seemed to be into outdoor pursuits, lots of cycling everywhere and generally being outside and healthy. A lot of greenery, very nice gardens and pretty peaceful lifestyles... but if you want, the whirling insanity of super-cosmo-metro-politan fast-lane life is just a few hundred yards away and a short trip down the road to Watford.... and of course, London itself is a short journey away, if you ever wanted to know what it's like to have an anxiety attack and a heart attack and a panic attack and a knife-toting gang attack, all at the same time, served with a glass of wine by a French waiter who will give you a bill that is several times your entire mortgage....

Either way, the people were generally very lower-middle class, maybe a bit of middle, very decent and proper. Your heritage or skin colour is not really something they're likely to even notice, as they're more likely to care whether you keep your front drive clean and tidy, keep the noise down late at night, whether you're a regular at church/synagogue/gudwara, etc, and maybe whether you're into any of the local community stuff. As long as you have good manners, common courtesy and make tea the right way, you're sorted!!

Soldato
Yes, there's no town centre to speak of in Hatfield. Welwyn has Waitrose, John Lewis and M&S. There's a mix of people too so you'll fit in. You should be able to get a 3 bed semi for 400.

Soldato
It's not a great place to live, I used to work near the Galleria. I think there is a big Polish community there going by the people i saw in Asda.

Welwyn is nicer but obviously the house prices are higher.

Permabanned
I looked at Hatfield and surrounding areas it ok, but didn't really like the properties available at the time.

We are still looking, Hatfield among other locations still remain on my list.

We probably will not move till late next year, see how the lag job losses will play out in regards to property prices.

So far job losses will get worse over the next few months, November/ December will be a good indicator of how many will lose their jobs and the knock on impact it would have on the wider economy.

All of this with the economic impact by the 2/3 quarter of 2021 due to Brexit adjustments. I think summer 2022 will be a golden year for the UK.

Can never time the market.

Associate
Lived in Welwyn garden city for several years. Hatfield is a dump. Run down town centre if you could call it that. House prices are only where they are as it's on the commuter route.

Welwyn, while it's clean it is utterly soulless. Town centre is bigger but it's very lady friendly. Next to nothing of any interest there to a bloke. Very few pubs in town as the ruling town body don't like them.

Soldato
Lived in Welwyn garden city for several years. Hatfield is a dump. Run down town centre if you could call it that. House prices are only where they are as it's on the commuter route.

Welwyn, while it's clean it is utterly soulless. Town centre is bigger but it's very lady friendly. Next to nothing of any interest there to a bloke. Very few pubs in town as the ruling town body don't like them.
It's those pesky Quakers. The council blocks any options for night life apparently.

Yes Hatfield is a bit of a hole, though much nicer than it used to be. It had an S in front of the train station sign for years, i.e. (S)hatfield.

WGC much nicer as is Knebworth and many villages around the area.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looked at houses there a few years back and came to the conclusion that's a bit of a dive.
Welwyn, Hertford, Ware, Knebworth, Hitchin (to some extent), Stanstead Abbotts (nice but nothing really there), even outer edges of Stevenage all looked better and seemed a smidgen cheaper.

Associate
Worked in Hatfield for years for a large IT outsourcing company. Had the opportunity to move closer to work and didn't even consider Hatfield itself as a choice to move to. Ended up moving to Shefford which reduced the commute from 90 minutes each way to 35 minutes.

Didn't consider Hatfield due to feedback from locals who worked in the office.

Soldato
I used to live in St Albans and I'm not saying that I used to lock the car doors as I drove through Hatfield but I did used to lock the car doors as I drove through Hatfield.
You're supposed to hand the car over to the hijacker now and just treat it as an unplanned donation, CHAZ style :D

Soldato
I lived in Hatfield for around 10 years, and I still own a property there.

Positives
+ Close to the A1M, M25 and the M1 (decent commutes). Can get to North London in like 10 to 15 mins.
+ Reasonable property prices

Negatives
+ Huge student (Herts University on your door step) and chav population
+ A large number of Travellers frequent the area
+ The town centre is an absolute **** hole, apart from going to the banks situated there, there is NO REASON to go. Charity shops, local fast food outlets etc
+ The Galleria.......its an OUTLET shopping centre, so dont expect AAA shopping. The only reason I used to go there was for the Odeon, the Nandos and the HMV (which may now be closed?)
+ Zero night life. Some of the pubs and bars are downright dangerous.....The Harrier /shudder

St Albans is only a couple of miles away but its a lot more expensive in respect of rent and property prices. Lots of pubs and bars....everyone who lives there always has this as their opening statement.
Welham Green is ok, away from the chavs with a 'village' feel to it. Also close(ish) to Hemel Hempstead, again another **** hole but at least the shopping is decent.
Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage are basically slightly better versions of Hatfield

Man of Honour
I can only concur with the above, I live in WGC work on Hatfield business park. Haven't ventured into Hatfield town in ages, it was due to go through a massive redevelopment but I dont know the progress on that.
I love WGC - but it has zero nightlife, with just a few pubs, I would potentially be looking at the surrounding villages unless Hatfield is a 'must have'

Soldato
I concur with the above. I bought a house in St Albans and it’s a lovely area especially if you want good transport links and pubs :). With your budget you could get a house in the cottonmill area.

Back
Top Bottom