*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Random question for people... got a pork shoulder which will be getting a smoke tomorrow but its currently frozen, will be ok to smoke even a bit frozen as long as internal temp is up, just more smoking time?
Just in case I'm missing something...

Soldato
Random question for people... got a pork shoulder which will be getting a smoke tomorrow but its currently frozen, will be ok to smoke even a bit frozen as long as internal temp is up, just more smoking time?

I've smoked things before that have still been a bit frozen and am still alive, obviously not ideal though! It might also be worth sticking it on a metal baking tray to speed up the defrosting.

I'm hoping the weather changes for the better tomorrow as I'm meant to be doing a BBQ for the missus's birthday and it's not looking great at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a problem for me, got to get up to temp someway.

Soldato
Having to resort to ghetto mods to keep the smoker going today! Luckily it looks like it's clearing up a bit now though.

Pork tinga has cooked this morning and I've got a few racks of ribs on the go now with about 90 wings to go on the kettle later! :)

liFRHiMh.jpg

Soldato
Tried something new yesterday as Lamb was discounted at Morrisons when I went in I picked up a shoulder and then started to think about what to do and ended up on the following recipe. https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-cooking-times/more-than-3-hrs/bbq-pulled-lamb/ as I'm lazy and go and ride my bike every Sunday morning I cheated and put it in the sous vide for 30 hours prior to putting on the bbq once it was up to temp sunday afternoon and it spent 3 hours @ about 125c being recoated in the juices, spice and some bbq sauce I whizzed up. I cooked it at too low a temp in the sous vide (56c) so it didn't come out in pulled fashion, but it was exquisite. Definitely a recipe to try if you want something different from the usual pulled pork.

WrRMqzf.jpg
OOTI41w.jpg

Caporegime
Splashed out on a new BBQ this week, went gas for the first time and not really sure what it's capable of. Always had charcoal BBQs previously but was swung by the convenience factor. Not cheap but hope it should last:

Probably sacrilege but went with pizza for the first go and really impressed with the result!

The later ones we did we went a bit thinner on the base and they were perfect.

Soldato
Pizza isn't sacrilege - I frequently use my gas bbq (Weber E310) and my pizza stone. Great pizza and more importantly great fun for the kids to make. You have probably already learnt that you need to cook the peppers first (not that it bothers me) if you want them a little softer :)

As for me, I've been watching FAR too many Brisket Smoking/BBQ videos and I'm desperate to give it a go. However, in my head I've put it in the holy grail of smoking and difficult to get right.

Can anyone with experience help me here? How hard is it to get right? I don't mind making it an all day job if needed (see my earlier post on pulled pork :)) That said, can anyone recommend any rub combinations for brisket? I have found a few, some seem to be just 1 part salt, 4 parts ground black pepper.

Soldato
OP
Pizza isn't sacrilege - I frequently use my gas bbq (Weber E310) and my pizza stone. Great pizza and more importantly great fun for the kids to make. You have probably already learnt that you need to cook the peppers first (not that it bothers me) if you want them a little softer :)

As for me, I've been watching FAR too many Brisket Smoking/BBQ videos and I'm desperate to give it a go. However, in my head I've put it in the holy grail of smoking and difficult to get right.

Can anyone with experience help me here? How hard is it to get right? I don't mind making it an all day job if needed (see my earlier post on pulled pork :)) That said, can anyone recommend any rub combinations for brisket? I have found a few, some seem to be just 1 part salt, 4 parts ground black pepper.

I tend to just go about 30/70 salt/pepper. I've seen some people slather american mild mustard on too before any rub to help it stick which I want to try.

No real tips other than: Be patient!

Soldato

follow the advice on amazing ribs and make sure you get yourself a good size piece. You’ll do better to come a whole point or flat than get a 1-2kg Traditional piece from a butcher and have it end up dry. I also don’t worry at all about using the oven once it’s got to 140f it that makes the experience easier.

Soldato
I tend to just go about 30/70 salt/pepper. I've seen some people slather american mild mustard on too before any rub to help it stick which I want to try.

No real tips other than: Be patient!

follow the advice on amazing ribs and make sure you get yourself a good size piece. You’ll do better to come a whole point or flat than get a 1-2kg Traditional piece from a butcher and have it end up dry. I also don’t worry at all about using the oven once it’s got to 140f it that makes the experience easier.

Thanks both.

I'll be honest, I know nothing about Brisket cuts - but sounds like my local butcher won't do. They usually have them rolled, I assumed you could just unroll them? I guess not :)

Soldato
I get mine from Turner and George who are always excellent

Likewise! I've never had a problem with a point from T&G. If you're putting the effort in to BBQ it, you might as well get a nice piece that has more chance of turning out good. The rolled brisket from a butcher/supermarket will probably be a flat, and UK flats tend to have very little fat in so will dry out on the smoker. A decent sized point will be a lot more forgiving!

Recipe please!!!

Remove the wing tips and split into drum and flat then marinate overnight with celery salt, white pepper, black pepper and buttermilk. The next day, drain off the liquid and toss them in a mix of cornflour and plain flour. For the sauce, a garlic clove and piece of ginger minced together and cooked in sesame oil. Add in 250g hoi sin sauce, 150g sweet chilli sauce, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, star anise and a cinnamon stick and heat up to dissolve the sugar. Fire up the vortex on the BBQ and let it get scorching hot, put the wings on and cook for about 45mins then remove and mix with the sauce. :)

Soldato
Great news, I turned 30 on Thursday and as consolation I'm now the owner of a Kamado Joe Classic II. Happy days.

Bad news, I put a pork shoulder on 30 mins ago and I'm having a night of it already!

I was very cautious not to overshoot, after reading that's the number one pitfalls of kamados. So I keep the vents nice and closed, take it easy. Bottom vent 1 inch, top vent just to the left of marker number 2, as I read.

After not too long, temps are looking ok, almost stable, happy days. Then it starts creeping up so I close up bottom vent to width of a pencil, and close the top a bit more. But it's just kept climbing ever since. Sat at 386F currently with vents all but closed. I really thought I was being too careful to start with.

2 possible explanations, firstly maybe my thermometer is playing up, as the dome temp gauge says I'm at 300F. But I've always gone with dedicated thermos over dome ones.

Secondly, my charcoal might be too many small pieces - I'm near the end of a big sack of weber lump. If it's all lit at once then even a tiny bit of airflow is going to keep it red hot I guess.

There's hot n fast, and then there's 380F. Hotter than you'd roast a chicken ffs :p Probably not going to get a lot of sleep tonight!

Back
Top Bottom