LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
So is ANYONE going to post images of this and comment on how well it can operate as a 21:9 monitor for wider aspect gaming?

I am aware that for some reason currently it is limited to 60Hz with custom resolutions using only standard GPU/Windows controls but is it possible to achieve/force 120Hz with custom res with other resolution tools?

One Youtuber did this at request a while back but only with standard options.
xzCMYIQ.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Do bear in mind, from what I can see online, that stand does not have "tilt" functionality, and for sure, with such a large screen up close, tilt is a feature you want. I had another look and there are alternatives that do exactly the same thing, but also have tilt as a feature. Tilt, is very useful, as with a large display, put on a desk with a stand, its already above the desk, your eye level is somewhat off, the tilt helps prevent neck strain and makes it more natural and lessens reflections.

Tilting this TV makes little sense to me, I'd much rather have it as flat as possible on the desk/wall. Just need to make sure you mount it at the correct height setting for your own height/head position when sitting. For this you need a height adjustable stand, or wall mount it at the appropriate height.

If you have to tilt the screen, it would mean the TV is either too high or too low. Not sure I'd trust any tilt mechanism with the weight of this thing as well, fixed/rigid mounting seems more appropriate.

Soldato
@Dave2150 - it states the stand comes with mounting hardware for most TV's. Are these the correct ones for this? I didn't actually realise how far it sticks out there, so that looks like an essential purchase for me.

Edit - looked them up. Noticed that it does. :)

Yeap, comes with a vast range of mounting screws. I used the M6x14mm ones which hold it securely.

Soldato
So is ANYONE going to post images of this and comment on how well it can operate as a 21:9 monitor for wider aspect gaming?

I am aware that for some reason currently it is limited to 60Hz with custom resolutions using only standard GPU/Windows controls but is it possible to achieve/force 120Hz with custom res with other resolution tools?

One Youtuber did this at request a while back but only with standard options.

YES good shout. This (CRU Custom Resolution Utility) is a popular tool which maybe one of the more experienced might give a whirl. ;):D

Associate
Fitted my Fitueyes stand today. Stand is fantastic, absolutely must IMO for this monitor. Lets me position the monitor on the extreme edge of my 80cm deep desk, which gives me roughly 10-12" more distance. The LG included stand protrudes from the back, preventing you from positioning it on the edge.

The stand also lets the monitor sit around 1" lower than the LG included stand (is fully height adjustable if you want it higher), doesn't sound like much but for a display this big, makes a huge difference. I'm short, so having the top of the monitor more level with my eyes is great.

I do similar with my TV to get it nice and low and pushed back, though my stand is a desk clamp mount with adjustable arm rather than table top stand, allows me to pull it closers for some games where you want full immersion and push back for work, takes up little more than an inch or so on the desk too so you can use the area underneath the screen for laptop docks etc.

Associate
Do bear in mind, from what I can see online, that stand does not have "tilt" functionality, and for sure, with such a large screen up close, tilt is a feature you want. I had another look and there are alternatives that do exactly the same thing, but also have tilt as a feature. Tilt, is very useful, as with a large display, put on a desk with a stand, its already above the desk, your eye level is somewhat off, the tilt helps prevent neck strain and makes it more natural and lessens reflections.

I have my CX 48" mounted on a Multibrackets Gas Lift Arm HD and VESA 100x100 -> 300x200 adapter plate. The tilt is actually not useful on a display this big, it's just better with it almost straight. It took two people to get it at the right angle on the monitor arm so I don't recommend it, the tilt portion really needs to be cranked to hold this and was a two people job to keep it at the right angle when another cranked the screws.

For viewing distance I would recommend at minimum 80cm. I have mine at about 85cm and that's acceptable but the display still feels massive. I do most of my desktop work in the lower portion of the screen as it's more comfortable to view that way, the top of the screen is for secondary windows. The TV sits very close to the top of my table, maybe about 2-3 cm above it.

Wall mount and pulling your table back is the best way to mount this thing but it's not an option for me as I have a window directly behind it.

Associate
i tried Overwatch very briefly in pratice mode. feels ok but wouldnt say its amazing. Definately think 1440p 120hz mode would be better for these games over 4K. bodies are massive though even in 4K so easy headshots :D
what about the fast motion close to you, can you view the scene easily and does the motion cause nausea?

Associate
I’ve seen a few mentions of burn in insurance in this and the c9 thread, who is doing that these days?

JL offer burn in/accidental insurance on top their regular 5 year guarantee for an extra £140 and matches the full 5 years duration, and it explicitly mentions burn in as being covered. That's a no brainer imo, especially for PC gamer's who wanna use it as a monitor.

Soldato
Now your talking, that’s ideal for me as I work from home a lot even outside the pandemic and is one of my main concerns with it.

Is there a limit on the number of claims?

Soldato
what about the fast motion close to you, can you view the scene easily and does the motion cause nausea?
fast motion was ok, the screen is a little to close to view the whole screen/scene as its only 65cm away from me
i could play it for a few hours but i think i could not do a long 18 hour gaming session like i can with a smaller screen.

find this much more of a adventure third person screen (better suited too)

games like
shadow of mordor
creed
tomb raider
need of speed

the games were you can sit back & play with a controller

thats not to say its bad for K+M but controller is were this shines for me

but i have the luxury of having 5 other gsync monitors. i dont think i could game long term on games like FPS without gsync enabled. (not avaliable on my 1080ti via HDMI)

Associate
Now your talking, that’s ideal for me as I work from home a lot even outside the pandemic and is one of my main concerns with it.

Is there a limit on the number of claims?

They seem to use Domestic & General, I guess you would have to check info on the "Ts&Cs" page for greater clarity, burn in is for sure covered, but like most insurance policies, I am certain there will be some sort of claim limit, however for me, I would count on JL customer service, I would refuse another replacement for example if the first 3 had all gotten burn in all within a year of each other, I would argue its a waste of time and ask for my money back or given a voucher to purchase a different TV. Usually by that point, there is newer tech/options that better suit you, and "hopefully" you end up with an upgrade instead ^^.

Soldato
They seem to use Domestic & General, I guess you would have to check info on the "Ts&Cs" page for greater clarity, burn in is for sure covered, but like most insurance policies, I am certain there will be some sort of claim limit, however for me, I would count on JL customer service, I would refuse another replacement for example if the first 3 had all gotten burn in all within a year of each other, I would argue its a waste of time and ask for my money back or given a voucher to purchase a different TV. Usually by that point, there is newer tech/options that better suit you, and "hopefully" you end up with an upgrade instead ^^.
its a good idea.
i wont bother gettiong insurance as i know for a fact that this screen will be gone before 5 years is out... i seem to swap monitors every 6 months.... bad i know....

anyway worth it for anyone who does keep there monitors a long time

Associate
Tip: Change HDMI input to PC to drastically reduce ASBL (CX48 in my case)
Almost no auto dimming / brightness anymore
Not just change label name but input icon.

Soldato
find this much more of a adventure third person screen (better suited too)

games like
shadow of mordor
creed
tomb raider
need of speed

the games were you can sit back & play with a controller

thats not to say its bad for K+M but controller is were this shines for me

This is how I plan to use my screen, predominantly third person games & Netflix/Prime Video. I'm going to wall mount it and I'll retain my x34a as my Gsync screen until new cards are out and Gsync is an option.

I work offshore on a 3/3 rota which means the screen will be powered off for 6 months of the year minimum, hence screen burn is not a massive concern for me, particularly as I'll be using the X34a for desktop/productivity.

Soldato
Tip: Change HDMI input to PC to drastically reduce ASBL (CX48 in my case)
Almost no auto dimming / brightness anymore
Not just change label name but input icon.
Not sure that works for me, maybe it does dim a bit less but it's still an issue. Apparently on LG TVs you can turn it off in the service menu, but you need a special remote control (a few quid on fleabay) or IR dongle for a smartphone to access it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not sure that works for me, maybe it does dim a bit less but it's still an issue. Apparently on LG TVs you can turn it off in the service menu, but you need a special remote control (a few quid on fleabay) or IR dongle for a smartphone to access it.
Try turning off logo burn in protection setting mate.

Soldato
JL offer burn in/accidental insurance on top their regular 5 year guarantee for an extra £140 and matches the full 5 years duration, and it explicitly mentions burn in as being covered. That's a no brainer imo, especially for PC gamer's who wanna use it as a monitor.
You should never pay for extra warranty for something that must be covered by default. There is no way you would lose if you made a "TV not fit for purpose" argument through small claims court. Don't let companies get away with stuff like that.

Plus the wording on their terms is quite tricky. I think you stand the same chance of getting your money back without too much hassle through your home contents insurance which is basically the same thing. Total scam imo.

Back
Top Bottom