Mountain Biking

Associate
Hey guys and girls

Used to be pretty good at biking a few years ago.

Got married, had kids, got fat, stopped riding.

Now got divorced, kids 50% of time, still fat, bike knackered.

Solution?

A Propain tyee 29er CF! Treated myself to the carbon Newman wheels, lyrik ultimates, super delux ultimate, code RCS... Stuck with all GX chainset oh and a bike yoke dropper!

Just hope the quoted 65 days is accurate as hearing some people being told a lot longer

Thinking of getting some tyre inserts to protect the rims although newmans crash replacement is pretty decent. I think I need some carbon contact paste stuff as well, oh and a new shock pump, oh and a shock wizz looks awesome, oh and some good pedals, oh and some new biking clothes, oh and some muc off... Oh crap it's began alrdy

Caporegime
Hey guys and girls

Solution?

A Propain tyee 29er CF! Treated myself to the carbon Newman wheels, lyrik ultimates, super delux ultimate, code RCS... Stuck with all GX chainset oh and a bike yoke dropper!

Just hope the quoted 65 days is accurate as hearing some people being told a lot longer

Thinking of getting some tyre inserts to protect the rims although newmans crash replacement is pretty decent. I think I need some carbon contact paste stuff as well, oh and a new shock pump, oh and a shock wizz looks awesome, oh and some good pedals, oh and some new biking clothes, oh and some muc off... Oh crap it's began alrdy

No messing about there! Straight in to a huge race machine :D

Let us know your thoughts a friend is pretty convinced he's getting one.

Ah FFS. I had an inkling my pre-order might go wrong. Whyte cannot fulfil all their orders and I am unable to get it till about November. I've now asked about the 909 and should hear back tomorrow. Did not want to spend that much but not much I can do. Pfft. Better colour though, :D

https://whyte.bike/collections/trail-enduro-900-series/products/909

Lot of cash on a hardtail! Bet it's good though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys and girls

Solution?

Get some rimpact inserts, they're great.

Associate
Thanks for the advice guys.

Just been informed it will be 95 days till a build date plus another 14 to arrive. Obviously estimates but a bit different to the 65 days on the website. Gives me a chance to loose some weight I suppose but miss most of summer months

Soldato
Had my first bit of trail riding in ages today and absolutely loved it.

On thing did annoy me though. I was at Thetford forest which has a red, blue and green cycle routes plus a "heritage trail" which is for cyclists and walkers which is perfect for kids as its twisty but wide and flat. So where do the frustrated dads with their high end full suspension bikes take their kids who can barely ride... why the red route, obviously :rolleyes:

I came across a girl (I'd guess about 7) right in the middle of a technical section I'd already committed to at a fair lick who was barely moving (literally walking pace or less). Dad (about 200 yards up the trail) helpfully shouted to her to look out which then caused her to stop diagonally across the trail. I managed to get pulled up in time but it was a bit sketchy on the loose surface there. About half a mile later, dad and son (again, similar age) stopped on the trail mid corner, perfect place for a leisurely drink stop.

This route used to be a black which kept the families to the more suitable routes but they re classified it (to be fair it was never really a black) and then made it more technical. Now it is the first destination once the stabilisers come off.

Other than that though, it was really good to get out on the twisty stuff again. The only other time my MTB has been out this year was for a 50/50 on/off road event with horrendous weather!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had my first bit of trail riding in ages today and absolutely loved it.

On thing did annoy me though. I was at Thetford forest which has a red, blue and green cycle routes plus a "heritage trail" which is for cyclists and walkers which is perfect for kids as its twisty but wide and flat. So where do the frustrated dads with their high end full suspension bikes take their kids who can barely ride... why the red route, obviously :rolleyes:

I came across a girl (I'd guess about 7) right in the middle of a technical section I'd already committed to at a fair lick who was barely moving (literally walking pace or less). Dad (about 200 yards up the trail) helpfully shouted to her to look out which then caused her to stop diagonally across the trail. I managed to get pulled up in time but it was a bit sketchy on the loose surface there. About half a mile later, dad and son (again, similar age) stopped on the trail mid corner, perfect place for a leisurely drink stop.

This route used to be a black which kept the families to the more suitable routes but they re classified it (to be fair it was never really a black) and then made it more technical.

Other than that though, it was really good to get out on the twisty stuff again. The only other time my MTB has been out this year was for a 50/50 on/off road event with horrendous weather!

This is why, or partly why I very rarely go on way marked trails anymore. Up Cannock about a year ago, trying to get back into biking. Father and son combo, cycling up the trail. Nearly caused a huge accident as I came flying round the corner.

Stick to the lesser know stuff now.

I was actually up Cannock yesterday, and the place was insanely busy. Lockdown must've caused people to find enjoyment in the outdoors :D

Soldato
Morning all,

Have picked up a second hand Carrera Sulcata 29er hardtail for some fun on the trails.

Needs a bit of a service and the brakes sorting (discs are contaminated, everything needs a degrease..) - can anyone recommend some tyres for trails and maybe some tougher technical descents? Current ones are past their best.

Cheers :)

Associate
This is why, or partly why I very rarely go on way marked trails anymore. Up Cannock about a year ago, trying to get back into biking. Father and son combo, cycling up the trail. Nearly caused a huge accident as I came flying round the corner.

Stick to the lesser know stuff now.

I was actually up Cannock yesterday, and the place was insanely busy. Lockdown must've caused people to find enjoyment in the outdoors :D
It's not just suddenly wanting to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors, it's also people bored during lockdown and now have a shiny new bike... (some of which haven't been on a bike in years and possibly haven't been to a trail centre before).

I guess Lordrobs's main problem is East Anglia's rolling hills... I grew up in North Suffolk and there certainly wasn't anything local worth taking a mtb to, so I guess main made trails at Thetford forest is the only easily accessible option (not just for himself, but everyone else in miles...)?

I'm now living on a hill on the edge of the Peak District and have the opposite issue to East Anglia, that any cycle involves decent climbs. To the point that when my daughter wants to learn to cycle I'm going to have to drive somewhere flat to prevent her flying down the hill...

Soldato
XC/AM tyres? Looking to update the 5'ish year old Schwalbe Hans Dampf front/ Continental Rubber Queen rear combo on my Rose Granite Chief, any recommendations without breaking the bank please?

I'm doing a lot more XC than AM at the minute, but I'd like something that can cope with some bigger stuff too when I eventually get round to riding it again.

Soldato
I guess Lordrobs's main problem is East Anglia's rolling hills... I grew up in North Suffolk and there certainly wasn't anything local worth taking a mtb to, so I guess main made trails at Thetford forest is the only easily accessible option (not just for himself, but everyone else in miles...)?
Yeah we aren't exactly swamped with options round these parts!

What really annoyed and worried me was the stupidity of the parents. Kids who can barely ride don't belong on a red route! It was actually much better when it was marked up as a black, it may have been the UK's tamest black route but it did make parents think twice before taking their 6 year old on it! You could maybe excuse it if there weren't three other far more suitable trails for young uns to ride as well!

I know of a couple of other places to take the MTB so I'll try those over the next few weeks.

Soldato
XC/AM tyres? Looking to update the 5'ish year old Schwalbe Hans Dampf front/ Continental Rubber Queen rear combo on my Rose Granite Chief, any recommendations without breaking the bank please?

I'm doing a lot more XC than AM at the minute, but I'd like something that can cope with some bigger stuff too when I eventually get round to riding it again.

Whilst I hate to quote myself...

I've found the Specialized Slaughter rear and Purgatory front pair for less than £40 delivered from their own website, anyone got any opinions on them please? They seem to be quite well reviewed, but it's always worth an ask.

Caporegime
Whilst I hate to quote myself...

I've found the Specialized Slaughter rear and Purgatory front pair for less than £40 delivered from their own website, anyone got any opinions on them please? They seem to be quite well reviewed, but it's always worth an ask.

Great price, get them bought! I might grab a slaughter.

Soldato
Great price, get them bought! I might grab a slaughter.

Fitted them an hour ago, off to try them out soon. Ordered a Butcher grid (for the winter, I'll put Butcher front and Purgatory rear then) , Purgatory grid, and Slaughter grid, just over 50 quid delivered for the 3, bargain! :)

Soldato
Anyone ridden an Orbea Laufey? My order for the new Whyte 905 fell through as they could not fulfil them all, so they have annoyed me a little, though I still have a deposit on one. Looking for a good all rounder once general bike stock starts landing around that price, max £2K. Ideally want a good all round bike, mainly for fast trail riding with occasional bike parks. a good all-rounder as such. My list had got down to two, the 905 and the Nukeproof Scout Comp, but I keep reading good things about the Laufey and the spec is amazing for the money.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Hi all, what hardtails should I be looking for 2nd hand with budget of £800? Apart from Bay, Gumtree and Marketplace any other places like forums to keep an eye on?

Soldato
Let's play a game of spec me a new bike! ;)

My current 2014 Rose Granite Chief is in need of some new parts, and servicing of most of the other parts :-

Bottom bracket
Headset
Cranks
Chain
Cassette
Derailleur
Pivot bearings

Fork service
Shock service

So I'm tempted to treat myself to something new rather than throwing a load of money at it, just weighing up the pros and cons for now.

I'm looking to spend up a maximum of 3k, preferably on another full suss, 120 to 140mm travel, prefer Shimano, dropper post, 650b, etc, etc, any recommendations please? Probably not the best time to buy, but can't do any harm to ask.

Soldato

My current 2014 Rose Granite Chief is in need of some new parts, and servicing of most of the other parts :-

Bottom bracket
Headset
Cranks
Chain
Cassette
Derailleur
Pivot bearings

Fork service
Shock service

So I'm tempted to treat myself to something new rather than throwing a load of money at it, just weighing up the pros and cons for now.

I'm looking to spend up a maximum of 3k, preferably on another full suss, 120 to 140mm travel, prefer Shimano, dropper post, 650b, etc, etc, any recommendations please? Probably not the best time to buy, but can't do any harm to ask.

Worth checking out the Bird aeris at that budget. Though really recommend demoing a few bikes if spending that mucb

Associate

Bottom bracket
Headset
Cranks
Chain
Cassette
Derailleur
Pivot bearings

Fork service
Shock service

Alongside the Bird the other main direct sales brands need a look in - YT's Izzo or Jeffsy and Canyon's Spectral or Strive.

At the moment though, I guess it's going to be down to stock availability and how long you're willing to wait.

Soldato
Worth checking out the Bird aeris at that budget. Though really recommend demoing a few bikes if spending that mucb

Alongside the Bird the other main direct sales brands need a look in - YT's Izzo or Jeffsy and Canyon's Spectral or Strive.

At the moment though, I guess it's going to be down to stock availability and how long you're willing to wait.

Thanks for the replies, I'm in no rush, the Rose still does its job, albeit not quite as well as it used to, and to be fair, the only thing it's had in 6yrs is tyres and lube! :D

Back
Top Bottom