Postwoman trips and falls while delivering post - claim?

Man of Honour
not sure that article is all that helpful in this case - the discussion to sue to RM was more to do with 'issues in the sorting office' and a lack of updated walking route note.

also sounds like the dog owner did get in trouble
According to a local newspaper report the dog's owner pleaded guilty to being the owner of a dog dangerously out of control causing injury in May 2016 at Barkingside Magistrates Court.
The owner was reportedly ordered to pay fines, compensation and costs totalling £8,793 from which Ms Offord received a compensation order for £2,764.

What you saw was all normal for this company and part of the process, get to the scene immediately and go through the accident, if the Postwoman was deemed to be not at fault due to the hazard being dangerous she can make a claim from the Company, if she is found to be at fault for not paying attention then she could get into trouble. This will not impact your parents in any way.

Associate
As a postman I say don’t worry about it. It’s all part of Royal Mail’s accident reporting, it doesn’t sound dangerous just the postwoman not looking where they where going (happens a lot).

If anything the postwoman will get in trouble depending on their manager as the cctv will probably show that they were looking at the mail in the hands rather then where they were going.

Soldato
... assuming it wasn't wet on the steps ? if it is like my ex-decking this became treachorous with some rain water and the algae that seemed to grow on it,
if in winter your steps became iced, t'wouldn't be the posties fault.

Soldato
OP
I'd bring a counter claim, she's obviously too unstable to deliver your mail ;) How many times has mail been delivered without an accident?
Hahaha :D - 10 years worth of deliveries (lots lol) without any issues
As has been said it's probably for RM's internal injury book rather than anything else, as IIRC like all companies RM have to keep a record of injuries sustained on the job, but they also keep a record of "dangerous" addresses*, my guess is that the photo is to show the condition of the path for their injury book and to help decide if the path is dangerous.

Personally I doubt very much anything will come of it that you'll hear of unless the path is dangerous, which it doesn't sound like is the case given it sounds like it's in good condition just not quite what you expect (like a lot of front paths in gardens that have been landscaped/resurfaced etc).

If anything does come of it, which is very unlikely most home insurance policies have liability cover for just this sort of even, IIRC up to a couple of million is standard.

*Those where there is say a dog that's considered a threat, or paving that is unduly slippery in wet/icy conditions.
Pretty cool! Didn't know they had such a list
Why would you, in any shape or form, 'be helpful' to the people who are potentially going to take your parents for a ride?
At the time that aspect didn't cross my mind and just thought I was being helpful and allowing them to better document the injury for whatever need they have, only thought of it afterwards... doh!
It would be useful to see the steps and where they tripped.

In the meantime, prepare your letterbox for lots of poo. :(
Ha, will try grab a pic
Not sure whether its just me, but, seems bad form to come onto private property and start taking pictures/video without asking for permission first and explaining what the situation is, I don't think many people would have a problem with photos for an incident report, but most would like to know whats going on, and in the event they are refused, then the incident report would have to be limited to written statements of what occurred.
To be honest I stuck my head out of the window and he said something along the lines of "oh we're just here about the fall or whatever, do you mind if we take some pics?" - but I'm fairly sure at that point he'd already taken some lol
How many packages have been delivered via this walkway without incident and has anything changed recently that would make someone unable to safely traverse this path as they presumably were able to do so in the past?

I mean, if 100 people can walk a path without issue and I can't, I don't know that I could blame the path.
100s of parcels

I don't think the path can be blamed either
Not sure I would have just given the CCTV footage when there is the possibility of being sued even how crazy it sounds.
See above haha
Actually.....
Can you upload the CCTV trip here?
Me being a sadistic a hole I would probably find it funny.

Thx .
Hahahaha :D
There's CCTV of this incident yet no video posted.

I demand to be amused by someone falling over in video format ! :p
:O
(First bit removed as pointed out by Siliconslave)

I also know at least 4 people who became posties when Creda closed down so sent a message to one of them asking "If you delivered to a house that you've been 100 times but on this occasion kicked something that has always been there, fell over and broke your arm, would you be able to claim off the homeowners?". The answer is "No".
You won't be getting sued.
Ha cheers!
Counter claim for damaging your step with her face
Now there's an idea should a claim come through :D haha

Associate
I had a person slip when viewing a house and twist their ankle, had to get an ambulance to take them away.
They put a claim in almost 7 years later. Estate agents solicitors laughed at the claim, my insurance laughed at the claim.. they ended up settling for £7,500. Madness.

Soldato
OP
I had a person slip when viewing a house and twist their ankle, had to get an ambulance to take them away.
They put a claim in almost 7 years later. Estate agents solicitors laughed at the claim, my insurance laughed at the claim.. they ended up settling for £7,500. Madness.
7 years?! HAHAHAHA that's mental

Soldato

That does seem a bit dubious. Isn't the statute of limitations for personal injury only 3 years...

Man of Honour
That does seem a bit dubious. Isn't the statute of limitations for personal injury only 3 years...

I didn't want to say anything but yes.
We get this a lot in the Legal Department at the hospital however it also depends on the date of knowledge, so if a recent Xray has discovered this injury has caused untold damage then date of knowledge comes into play.
eg Something left in the body in 2002 but an Xray found it last year and that patient has been suffering for 18 years.

Associate
A little while later she came back with peas/ice on her wrist and a gentleman presumably from the company / some kind of union taking photographs and videos re-enacting what they think happened / where she fell.

I hope they knocked first and asked permission to do this! That would really annoy me. She'll be going off work for 6 months and filing a claim with her employer.

I help my son deliver his papers at the weekend and go to some very old, large & expensive properties along the sea-front. The number of times I've slipped on paths and steps due to them being so slippery & slimy when it's been raining is ridiculous. They just need a good scrub. Come very close to putting my back out. I've considered knocking to express my concern, not for me, but my son, but I doubt they'd do anything other than complain about me to the newsagent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hope they knocked first and asked permission to do this! That would really annoy me. She'll be going off work for 6 months and filing a claim with her employer.

I help my son deliver his papers at the weekend and go to some very old, large & expensive properties along the sea-front. The number of times I've slipped on paths and steps due to them being so slippery & slimy when it's been raining is ridiculous. They just need a good scrub. Come very close to putting my back out. I've considered knocking to express my concern, not for me, but my son, but I doubt they'd do anything other than complain about me to the newsagent.
I do wonder / doubt they would have asked had I not called out from the window. I reckon he'd already taken some pics by that point despite asking when I called from the window. Polite thing to do would have been to ring the bell regardless as soon as they arrived.

Back
Top Bottom