upgrade for my NVMe - which one?

Soldato
Hi Chaps,

i need to format my pc, its been 3 years i was about to do this and then thought actually i could do with a bigger 'C' drive. i currently have a Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD.

i would like to get a 512 or possible a 1TB if the price was right. any recommendations ?

Soldato
OP
i think i will go for the 970 evo 512 the speeds seem decent although the 1TB is a bit faster i don't need that much as i have a 1TB standard SSD in for music and video.

Soldato
however those Sammys are spot on also.
Only spot Samsungs are on nowadays is brand overpricing.

i think i will go for the 970 evo 512 the speeds seem decent although the 1TB is a bit faster i don't need that much as i have a 1TB standard SSD in for music and video.
There are plenty of others fast drives for lot cheaper than Samsungs.
And if use is write intensive Phison E12 drives have vastly superior TBW warranty coverage over Samsungs.
And there's no Windows loading time difference even between NVMe and supposedly "slow" SATA SSD.
So any NVMe is certainly fast enough, including likes of Kingston A2000 and WD Blue SN550.

Also you can get PCIe v4 supporting NVMe for same price as Samsung's PCIe v3 drive, if you want theoretically fastest drive!

Associate
I'd be interested to know if you see any difference other then the increased capacity. I'm still running an SM961 and from benchmark figures it is just as quick as the newer drives. So I'm still planning on keeping it as a boot drive and expanding capacity via an additional SATA SSD for games & apps.
As for upgrading I'd just buy any recent non-QLC drive.

Soldato
Only spot Samsungs are on nowadays is brand overpricing.
Overpriced yes but they're solid performers, all depends what you want. I wanted a massive TBW, the fastest speeds and the largest capcaity and at the time the Sabrents Rocket NMVe4 offered that but not everywants all fo those things I suppose. I've had samsung SSD's for years and never had a probelm but yes they are now overpriced agreed.

Soldato
OP
I'd be interested to know if you see any difference other then the increased capacity. I'm still running an SM961 and from benchmark figures it is just as quick as the newer drives. So I'm still planning on keeping it as a boot drive and expanding capacity via an additional SATA SSD for games & apps.
As for upgrading I'd just buy any recent non-QLC drive.

my evo 970pro is in, and no noticeable speed difference even though the read write is higher. i did it mainly for the capacity as i play a lot of call of duty since lock down and that footprint is around 200gb which i wanted on my the main drive. in that sense the game runs better and loads quicker that is for sure :)

i had not done a wipe on my pc for knocking on 4 years. it all made sense for me needing to do a clean install and get call of duty on the primary drive.

Associate
In general use, you won't notice any difference in the speed of the machine between a decent SATA3 drive and an NVMe drive. The only time you might notice is when doing a copy operation between two locations on the fast drive or between two fast drives. General use it makes no difference.

Caporegime
my evo 970pro is in, and no noticeable speed difference even though the read write is higher. i did it mainly for the capacity as i play a lot of call of duty since lock down and that footprint is around 200gb which i wanted on my the main drive. in that sense the game runs better and loads quicker that is for sure :)

i had not done a wipe on my pc for knocking on 4 years. it all made sense for me needing to do a clean install and get call of duty on the primary drive.

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

i normally click on that link. then click on value to sort by value. then pick the cheapest drive in the top 5 or top 10.

it's saying the crucial P1 is the best to buy currently

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/607339/CT1000P1SSD8

Back
Top Bottom