Steam Summer Sale 2020

Soldato
I purchased a few games yesterday for the kids, and the total came to £31, but I didn't get the discount. As it said applied at checkout I kept expecting to see it adjusted at some point, but in the end it just went through without it.

Not terribly pleased about that, but can't figure out why it didn't work since other people seem to have had it applied fine...

Man of Honour
I purchased a few games yesterday for the kids, and the total came to £31, but I didn't get the discount. As it said applied at checkout I kept expecting to see it adjusted at some point, but in the end it just went through without it.

Not terribly pleased about that, but can't figure out why it didn't work since other people seem to have had it applied fine...

Is it the first time you've done it? You can only get the discount of £5 once, rather than £5 each time you spend £30.

Soldato
Is it the first time you've done it? You can only get the discount of £5 once, rather than £5 each time you spend £30.

Yeah, I grabbed a few cheaper games during the sale, but never went over £30 until last night.

The only things I can think of is maybe is doesn't apply to gifts, although I don't see anything stating this.

Associate
Picked up endless space 2, Stellaris and all it's DLC, ELite Dangerous (only because I want to dust off my old HOTAS) and F1 2019 simply because there is no way I am paying 50 notes for the 2020 version when the 2019 version can be had for just over a tenner and I'll play it a bit, probably join some online races ram a few people and then quit anyway :), and then got tower of time for my rpg fix

Have you checked out endless space 2 or stellaris? ... in the past I had really enjoyed sins of a solar empire rebellion ... and always wanted to play another space sim but well couldnt pull the trigger ... how are those? ...

Soldato
Yeah, I grabbed a few cheaper games during the sale, but never went over £30 until last night.

The only things I can think of is maybe is doesn't apply to gifts, although I don't see anything stating this.

It doesn't apply to gifts, I tried to be a bit of a cheap b*****d and made a separate account to get the discount on Metro Exodus Gold and gift it to myself since I had already used mine on Doom Eternal:p I got a warning during checkout. Well, I can't even add friends until I spend money on a new account anyways so whatever.

They should've just applied this to every qualifying purchase, I don't like Epic but they give you pretty hefty vouchers for purchases during sales and you can use them over and over again.

Caporegime
I don't like Epic but they give you pretty hefty vouchers for purchases during sales and you can use them over and over again.

Still doesn't get me to buy owt from them. They gave away Slime Rancher some time and I just spent a tenner on Steam to have it there instead of Epic Games Store. Barmy but true!

Soldato
It doesn't apply to gifts, I tried to be a bit of a cheap b*****d and made a separate account to get the discount on Metro Exodus Gold and gift it to myself since I had already used mine on Doom Eternal:p I got a warning during checkout. Well, I can't even add friends until I spend money on a new account anyways so whatever.

They should've just applied this to every qualifying purchase, I don't like Epic but they give you pretty hefty vouchers for purchases during sales and you can use them over and over again.

Ah right. Well, thanks for clearing that up.

A bit annoying since gifting is the way I buy games for my kids all the time, instead of logging into their accounts and entering my card details (and making sure they're not saved!). Would have been good to see this more prominently displayed (if it's stated anywhere at all).

Soldato
Ah right. Well, thanks for clearing that up.

A bit annoying since gifting is the way I buy games for my kids all the time, instead of logging into their accounts and entering my card details (and making sure they're not saved!). Would have been good to see this more prominently displayed (if it's stated anywhere at all).

Yeah, they only actually warn you during checkout if you select buy as a gift and proceed, AFAIK. Would've been sufficient to just put a little asterisk with appropriate info on that discount banner of theirs.

Soldato
Seems super sketchy and pretty dishonest

Seems extremely dishonest to me, I didn't realise buying games via shared accounts was a thing until recently when somebody mentioned it as a cheaper way to get a game on HotUKDeals.

To be honest people may as well just pirate the game as do this, I see no difference. The developer is getting nothing, and they are paying somebody who certainly doesn't deserve to be making money from the developers work.

C64

C64

Soldato

did you buy it in one go ? has to be £30 when you click checkout not overall like if you bought 5 games at £25 each one at a time

Caporegime
I've bought a couple of indie titles though I refunded them as they just didn't cut it as far as I was concerned. One of them was so low resolution I could hardly make out what was going on!

Soldato
Have you checked out endless space 2 or stellaris? ... in the past I had really enjoyed sins of a solar empire rebellion ... and always wanted to play another space sim but well couldnt pull the trigger ... how are those? ...
Endless Space 2 is pretty good. They basically improved on the first one. The battles paly themselvs out once you set the tactics and the management side is pretty decent. Haven't made a start on Stellaris yet but from vidoes i have seen on you tube it looks decent, it's like Europa Univeralis in space which makes sense as its from the same dev house.

Associate
This is the first time in at least 10 years that I haven't bought *something* in a Steam Sale. It feels strange...

Back
Top Bottom