Out of the loop - GPU upgrade

Associate
Hi all,

As the title says, I'm a little out of the loop regarding current PC parts. I built my last PC in 2015 and haven't been paying that much attention since.

I have new parts arriving today but I haven't ordered a new GPU yet.

The build is -

NZXT H210
Ryzen 5 3600
Mini ITX Asus Strix
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 16GB

For now I will just use my Gigabyte Windforce GTX970.

I wanted to ask, what is the best GPU I can buy, that won't be bottlenecked by the Ryzen 5 3600?

Thanks everyone.

Associate
If you can hold off there is going to be new hardware coming shortly. Not the best time to buy given we are about to get new gen consoles etc.

Associate
OP
If you can hold off there is going to be new hardware coming shortly. Not the best time to buy given we are about to get new gen consoles etc.

Yeah I was thinking that as well. The GTX 970 is doing OK still for slightly older games, but I just got new peripherals and my monitor is now 1440p 144hz.
As you say, it hopefully won't be too long until the new hardware comes out.

If you were to give an answer based on the current gen GPUs which ones do you think would be best for these specs?

Associate
Yeah I was thinking that as well. The GTX 970 is doing OK still for slightly older games, but I just got new peripherals and my monitor is now 1440p 144hz.
As you say, it hopefully won't be too long until the new hardware comes out.

If you were to give an answer based on the current gen GPUs which ones do you think would be best for these specs?

Depends a lot on your budget? 5700xt is a decent option

Associate
I don't really want to be spending much more than £450, but I just wanted to make sure that cards like the RTX2070 super or 5700XT wouldn't be badly bottlenecked by the Ryzen 5 3600.

Honestly, it will be fine. The 3600 is at a really good price/power ratio especially for gaming.

Take a look here:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1968-ryzen-3600-vs-2600-gaming-scaling/

You'd only get a tiny increase from a much more expensive CPU. Wouldn't worry about being bottlenecked.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're in no rush, wait for Nvidia 3000 series. Something like a 2070 super second hand would be a good buy then too.
CPU wont bottleneck many games at all. In my experience, only one I can think of is Battlefield V.

Back
Top Bottom