Planning - Neighbour Objecting

Soldato
if you're working from home, a vertical/clear office window to look to the horizon , would, personally, be a must have , whereas a bedroom with just roof windows a lot more acceptable - mission creep - swap the purpose.
not really a dorma fan though, the weather-sealing always looks as though it will need maintenance, plus, waterstains you often see, passing by.

Associate
OP
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Our architect has been dealing with the planning side and he seems to think its the planning officer steering the change of design.

I'm more than happy to show compromise and to be perfectly honest one of the options the architect has come up (to compromise) loses a bit of space however does look better and is more fitting to the area.

The remaining issues raised i.e. over development and overlooking, he states, actually sub mount to nothing when you look at the application bearing in mind our plot and position. He's very positive.

There's been no other objections from neighbours, four of which were written to by the Council (we also chatted to all beforehand)

Hopefully some movement next week :)

img

img

Associate
You could worry about annoying the neighbour but then they could move you anytime and you get others anyway so juat do what you feel best

Soldato
Can they put the window in deep reveal perhaps a very deep picture frame that projects. You'll lose a sqm of floor space put it might shield the view sufficiently to cast the obligatory 45degree sight line out and prove you can't overlook. It might fundamentally change the design though, without seeing it I can't say.

Associate
OP
Might make things a little clearer. Existing followed by what was proposed (as with a previous post we have gone back with an alteration to the dorma (pitched roof) which to be honest is much better looking.

Blue arrow shows objecting neighbours home/garden, red boxed area ours with the black arrow showing where the extension will go (up, over and out into the cut out space)

CAPTURE12.png

Soldato
put the plan in and see what comes back from the council it is they who will decide not the neighbours, personally I would only compromise if the council say no and I lost the appeal. Try and get the extension you want and then look to compromise if you don't. Your neighbours objections don't sound particularly well grounded in planning rules, when I successfully objected to a neighbours planning application I quoted all the bits of the local rules and the established best practices it would break like building lines, parking provision street scene etc etc. Look at almost any planning application on line and it will be littered with nonsense comments from neighbours who just don't want anything to change.

Soldato
3d modelling s/w must be easily accessible to determine objectively what loss of light / field of view, is incurred by the neighbours, considering intermediate obstacles, and path of the sun.
- how much space do the stairs, up to the office, take, in ratio to the office size itself.

Soldato
It doesn't appear that you are extending out very far and otherwise you are just building up within the same footprint and to the same height, how far from the boundary is the garage? While I am no fan of the looks of dormers, they are accepted and make much more usable space within the room. I'd wait it out if this design is what you ideally want.

Soldato
There isn’t really anything in the letter which gives any evidence that the plan breaches and local planning guidelines. It just picks up the usual buz words but doesn’t actually say why any of them are an issue.

It’s fair enough they have objected, that’s their right but it just lacks and substance.

Soldato
Please just don’t render it white and then put those grey windows in - oh and that grey front door with one tall window in it.

it’s a repeated constant ‘design’ that has been used all over the shop and has about as much architectural merit as my foot.

Soldato
Whilst their objections could be valid there is little detail or substance to them. Also, looking at where your house faces rearwards and the location of the objecting neighbours property is, the extended part of the house is quite far away and facing away from their property.
I'm no planning officer but it's difficult to see what their objection is apart from that is has more bedrooms than surrounding properties which doesn't sound like a point with much merit.

Caporegime
Whilst their objections could be valid there is little detail or substance to them. Also, looking at where your house faces rearwards and the location of the objecting neighbours property is, the extended part of the house is quite far away and facing away from their property.
I'm no planning officer but it's difficult to see what their objection is apart from that is has more bedrooms than surrounding properties which doesn't sound like a point with much merit.

their objection is they live in a small semi detached and don't like the fact their neighbour is building a large extension to their already larger than theirs property.

i'd put the application in as is. i'd argue the point the extension is farther away from them than the rest of the house so it's a non issue.

as for windows overlooking into other peoples bedrooms. houses already do that (especially at the rear of properties). it's why we have curtains, blinds, etc. I've regularly seen neighbours in their underwear, topless, etc.

Soldato
their objection is they live in a small semi detached and don't like the fact their neighbour is building a large extension to their already larger than theirs property.

We had 2 neighbours object to our recent planning application for what I think is pretty much the same reason - the greeneyed monster. The council dismissed their objections and the application was approved which I know really annoyed one of the neighbours as we got a letter from their solicitor a few weeks later. Widdums. Sadly we're not going ahead with the extension but I'd hate to think that the grumpy neighbour thinks we're not doing it because of his objection.

Soldato
Thanks for providing the plans. Personally I think box dormers are ugly and I think its addition to your proposal detracts from what would otherwise be quite an attractive extension that fits with the scale and design of the original dwelling.

That being said, they are often PD and you might be able to make an argument that one could be added at the other end of the roof without planning permission? Putting it where you propose could improve the privacy of the objectors in comparison?

The objection raises that it would not be sympathetic to the local area - how visible would it be? A pitch roof dormer or two or roof lights could be more attractive but would lose you internal space.

Back
Top Bottom