Doom Eternal

Soldato
Yay, fifth Slayer Gate with the Marauder mofo in it first try, lots of running around:D Currently on level 8 which is just a boss fight I think.

What I like the most about this game is that even when I'm doing pretty well, it still keeps me on the edge of my seat and there are close calls even though I'm not dying that much yet. There are definitely some WTF moments and I don't think I'll be attempting higher difficulties, I just hope I'll be able to finish the game on Hurt Me Plenty:p

Soldato
Yay, fifth Slayer Gate with the Marauder mofo in it first try, lots of running around:D Currently on level 8 which is just a boss fight I think.

What I like the most about this game is that even when I'm doing pretty well, it still keeps me on the edge of my seat and there are close calls even though I'm not dying that much yet. There are definitely some WTF moments and I don't think I'll be attempting higher difficulties, I just hope I'll be able to finish the game on Hurt Me Plenty:p

That one took me ages, and then the game crashed on me and it didn't save, so had to have a few more attempts! Interestingly the game crashed when I finally completed the next Slayer Gate as well, though fortunately it saved that time! That's the only two crashed I've had.

Playing on Ultra-Violence, I've been tempted to drop it down on a few occasions, but even though I have to keep replaying some fights multiple times its really enjoyable, not like some games that can just be frustrating.

Soldato
That one took me ages, and then the game crashed on me and it didn't save, so had to have a few more attempts! Interestingly the game crashed when I finally completed the next Slayer Gate as well, though fortunately it saved that time! That's the only two crashed I've had.

Playing on Ultra-Violence, I've been tempted to drop it down on a few occasions, but even though I have to keep replaying some fights multiple times its really enjoyable, not like some games that can just be frustrating.

Yeah, fighting itself is fun so it's still enjoyable. I started with Hurt Me Plenty because I'm playing on pad and didn't know what to expect.

I actually managed the last Slayer Gate first try as well and I'm halfway through level 9 but I can't say it's a total walk in the park, definitely requires concentration and reflexes. It can get pretty hectic, I think Ultra-Violence would kill me on pad:p

TBH, I hate the Marauders destroying the pace when you have to deal with other enemies as well. You have to run around and deal with everyone before tackling them and their defense is really annoying.

Still super fun, though.

Soldato
Yeah, fighting itself is fun so it's still enjoyable. I started with Hurt Me Plenty because I'm playing on pad and didn't know what to expect.

I actually managed the last Slayer Gate first try as well and I'm halfway through level 9 but I can't say it's a total walk in the park, definitely requires concentration and reflexes. It can get pretty hectic, I think Ultra-Violence would kill me on pad:p

TBH, I hate the Marauders destroying the pace when you have to deal with other enemies as well. You have to run around and deal with everyone before tackling them and their defense is really annoying.

Still super fun, though.

Oh wow, yeah I think I'd struggle with 'I'm too young to die' with a pad!

Soldato
I'm on the last level and it's shaping up to be around 9/10 for me.

Simply extraordinary fun. The main difference between this and 2016 for me is that I was really getting tired of 2016 after the halfway point because of the monotony of the combat and levels. It was also way easier. Eternal still keeps me interested due to more varied and complex levels and the combat itself, switching weapons mid-air and comboing them together doesn't get old.

The levels in 2016 are more stylistically coherent but overall much less interesting than Eternal's. Platforming in this was unexpected but I found it fun, really helps break up the pace and opens up the levels. Feels really old-school and made me go and find all the secrets along the way.

Soldato
Finished:) I was actually on the second-to-last level, got mistaken:p

Very strong 8.5/10 for me. Lots of fun, varied levels, insane combat, cool secrets. Covers all the bases.

Bosses are a letdown unfortunately and the ending sections feel a bit rushed, the combat arena after combat arena structure is more evident on final levels because there's fewer stuff in between. The ending itself is practically non-existent (not that Doom needs a robust ending but still).

Overall had a great time, solid purchase at 50% off.

Soldato
Lots of tips to be had from this guy playing ultra nightmare, and completing the game (100%, all achievements, secrets, toys etc!) in 2 hours 22 minutes! Insanely fast paced game, awesome :D

Last edited:
Soldato
So I came back to this to see if I still felt the same way about the mechanical changes over Doom 2016 and... yes, yes I do.

I'm making progress fine but i'm not having any fun doing it and i'm getting bored and distracted. I expect i'll see it through to the end but it's got no replay value what-so-ever.

I'd have been absolutely fine with more 2016 levels if i'm being totally honest. All the new upgrades, collectables, flamethrower, grenades, and weird shoehorned story could be chucked in the bin and it would improve the game.

Associate
Anyone having trouble buying the DLC on steam? I add it to my cart and it doesnt let me purchase it. It says i already have it in my library and can only purchase it as a gift. I have the base game of Doom Eternal.

Associate
I do like the look of this, thinking about a sale, but didn't really enjoy Doom 2016 due to 'tunnel and arena combat zone' level design.

Also can't stand the 'melee enemies to get health' gameplay loop, I hate, hate, hate that element to it. Replayed Doom 1 and 2 last year and preferred both to Doom 2016. Also Doom 64 on PC, preferred that to 2016.

I would love a simple Doom reboot gameplay wise like the first but with insanely good level and monster designs, less bright colours, health packs only, run and gun rather than platforming.

Monsters so brutal looking you don't want to get up close to get HP, you just want them dead. I'm talking all action, visceral horror. Doom games had elements of survival horror that the new games don't IMO, couldn't believe how much more atmospheric I found original Doom still over Doom 2016.

ne0

ne0

Associate
I do like the look of this, thinking about a sale, but didn't really enjoy Doom 2016 due to 'tunnel and arena combat zone' level design.

Also can't stand the 'melee enemies to get health' gameplay loop, I hate, hate, hate that element to it. Replayed Doom 1 and 2 last year and preferred both to Doom 2016. Also Doom 64 on PC, preferred that to 2016.

I would love a simple Doom reboot gameplay wise like the first but with insanely good level and monster designs, less bright colours, health packs only, run and gun rather than platforming.

Monsters so brutal looking you don't want to get up close to get HP, you just want them dead. I'm talking all action, visceral horror. Doom games had elements of survival horror that the new games don't IMO, couldn't believe how much more atmospheric I found original Doom still over Doom 2016.

Judging by what you've put here I think you'd hate Doom Eternal!

Associate
Wow. Its mental. Im playing on 1 down from nightmare, can't remember the name. Some of the battles are crazy. Great fun though. Im now stuck near the end of the sea level, ive jumped onto a crate, and onto a climbing wall and can't see where to go next.

Back
Top Bottom