Expired Isopropyl Alcohol

Soldato
I've got a 600ml bottle of 70% IPA, about just under 300ml remaining. Manufactured November 2008, expired October 2011. I read that there's no possibility of it ever actually expiring. Apparently it's more about the container. if it's a plastic container like mine, it might turn brittle and leach into the contents. Do you think I can still use it or bin it? Still looks clear and smells potent enough.

Commissario
I can't offer a definitive answer but I've got a bottle of 99% IPA that I've had for probably fifteen years, every so often I decant some out of the original 1l bottle into smaller ones and I use it as a cleaning agent from time to time. I haven't noticed it being any less effective and as you say, it still smells the same.

It's nearly all gone now, must get around to buying another bottle.

Soldato
OP
Great to hear it'll still work fine, thanks guys. :)

Dis86, I originally used it for cleaning thermal compounds from CPUs and GPUs. But now I'd like to use it for cleaning camera lenses. That said, I believe I really need 99% strength IPA for lenses mixed with distilled water.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I can't offer a definitive answer but I've got a bottle of 99% IPA that I've had for probably fifteen years, every so often I decant some out of the original 1l bottle into smaller ones and I use it as a cleaning agent from time to time. I haven't noticed it being any less effective and as you say, it still smells the same.

It's nearly all gone now, must get around to buying another bottle.

This. I got mine from a chemist a long time ago to clean PCB etc and still going, it has many uses as @Feek mentions like cleaning - I have no urgency to worry about it as its stored well. :)

Soldato
You read right there is no realistic possibility of it going 'off' if it is in bottle. Only possible way for it to go off is if you open the bottle to find none in there.

Man of Honour
Unless medical use, etc. I can't see a problem really - I've a bottle that I use for cleaning electrical stuff, etc. which is probably out of date by now and no problems for that kind of use so far.

Caporegime
Probs best not to drink it then... I mean cleaning a computer or some surface etc.. not sure it's a big drama?

Soldato
some of the plastic bottles, especially with the child proof mechanism, and it unscrew force, do become brittle - especially if kept in the sunlight.
bottle of xylene I bought recently for, original, hammerite thinning was thankfully glass.

we need a thread for pictures of yours (everyones) most out of date articles - I suspect Captain Scott would win.

Soldato
Great to hear it'll still work fine, thanks guys. :)

Dis86, I originally used it for cleaning thermal compounds from CPUs and GPUs. But now I'd like to use it for cleaning camera lenses. That said, I believe I really need 99% strength IPA for lenses mixed with distilled water.

Our microscope lenses are knackered because people went a bit OTT with IPA, I've switched to using what I do at home, PH Neutral washing up liquid, it's a great surfactant and lifts any greases/dirt safely and much less harsh than IPA which tends to smear grease around, leading to more cleaning leading to more damage over time..

All IME of course, but the washing up liquid works on glasses far better than IPA, and even our glass beds on our 3D printers once they have oil/grease on them from fingerprints, IPA doesn't completely clean the glass, we have to use washing up liquid..

Commissario
some of the plastic bottles, especially with the child proof mechanism, and it unscrew force, do become brittle
The bottle I have isn't brittle but the lid is. It's not child proof but it's a hard plastic and it's crumbled.

I've just been looking at prices, it's doubled since Covid! When the prices drop back I'll buy myself a new bottle.

Soldato
I've just been looking at prices, it's doubled since Covid! When the prices drop back I'll buy myself a new bottle.

This. I've got half of a 5L can sat on a shelf, just out of interest I looked at prices mid March even though I didn't need any (I wondered if there was any change, as I'd just seen a bigclive youtube video of how to make hand sanitiser) and prices were sky high, not sure if its started dropping back yet now that there doesn't seem to be a hand sanitiser shortage in the shops or anything. Probably don't need to worry for another few years, but I'll probably pick up another one when prices have returned to almost normal

Back
Top Bottom