Visibly upset child made to run daily.

Soldato
And this ladies and gents is how people get away with child abuse.

"PE lessons scraped as it is deemed child abuse because children don't like running"

"Schools close as that is now deemed child abuse as it seems children also don't like school"

"Patents told it's child abuse to force your children to eat vegetables"

If my child ever gets to a stage where they need exercise but refuse to do it, I will be forcing it on them too.
If it really really bugs the OP of possibly try to strike up a conversation with the parent but only if they knew them. If a stranger approached me in that situation they'd get told where to go or ignored.

Soldato
Making a child run around the block does not strike me as normal. Children get their exercise through playing, not by being forced to go jogging.

That would set alarm bells with me. Maybe not enough to alert the authorities, but enough to keep a closer eye on what's going on.

Soldato
Sounds like they're saving the child's long term health. Parents are concerned with the couch potato - and many kids are crying if separated from their phone/tablet/gamebox/couch-machine. So it may not be the exercise but the necessary forced separation from the gadget. The problem at the moment with Covid is there's no real sports clubs to use to distract them nor do they have the ability to simply 'play' with other household kids.

I, for one, happily support a parent with a balling kid doing what is required vs a kid that simply wants to get back to the screen addiction.

Sometimes love is tough.

Soldato
The dad may not be great, but making a kid go for a fun isn't child abuse.

On that alone it would be pretty stupid to contact social services. Going for a run isn't some form of torture, it may be that the kid just wants to play with his X-Box all day & the dad is forcing some daily exercise.

Unless you see any actual abuse or additional indicators I wouldn't. For one an allegation of mistreatment can cause extreme stress and pressure for a family, even it's with the best intentions. One of the best mothers I know recently had a jaded acquaintance (only found out after) make allegations of abuse via CPS & the end result was her almost having a breakdown & huge family upheaval.

It's not something which should be done lightly & I've not really seen anything which constitutes abuse. Maybe at a stretch being a bit of a rubbish dad, but that's not child abuse either.

Associate
My thoughts are it’s none of my business. Nor yours.

Actually, if you believe that a child is in danger of abuse, or is being abused, it is every person's duty to report it.

How many abuse cases have been delayed or not prosecuted because people say it is none of their business?

In my job I have legal requirement to inform the correct authorities of even the slightest suspicion that any form of abuse is happening, or may happen.

Soldato
Wow. Moving aside from whatever petulant nonsense this is....

You’ve made a thread asking for people’s thoughts on a situation. We’ve given them but where they differ to your own, you’re disregard then because you don’t like it.

If you only care about your own opinion then don’t bother asking. Just do whatever you were always going to do.

You quoted your own post...

Poor child. I wouldn't intervene, but I know my parents put me off many things by trying to force me to do them.

Permabanned
"So, Mr Pomeroy, you are before this court today so I can ascertain what motives you had to stop and interrogate this child, asking for his name and address? And by the way I am pleased to read you are making a slow recovery from the beating the child's father bestowed upon you, you don't need to try and rise from your wheelchair for the court"

"Well, I had been observing him running past my window for a few weeks and he seemed unhappy, so I asked for advice on a computer forum and a Special Constable said I should"

"What is this Constable's name"

"He goes by the pseudonym of Burnsey your honour, so I don't know"

I believe "Burnsey" may be well meant, but I also see much naivety in his advice, too.

I mean,, in 2020 what possible slanderous mutterings could such a case cause amongst neighbours, friends and associates? 40 years ago, fine, now, well, I''d not be risking potential misinterpretations over questioning a child on the evidence stated.

Soldato
Thread has me chuckling. However,

Some odd replies in the thread.

If your spidey-sense is tingling then you are right to double-check yourself. If it’s odd, it’s odd. If the child is perpetually upset than that’s clearly not great is it....

I’d probably try and observe the situation more to form a better judgement.

This would be what I would do. If the child is consistently distressed then I wouldn't just ignore it.

Soldato
Funnily enough this is what most professional trainers do.
Runners are followed on cycles or motor bikes, cyclists are followed in cars and so on ...............

Yeah thats kind for for keeping up with elite or near elite athletes. If this Dad can't manage to set an example by keeping up with a 6 year old i'd very much like the opportunity to beast him around 10 miles and see how much he enjoys that.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to clarify it's not a disabled electric scooter that my nan would use, it's the 2 wheeled kids version (probably belongs to the kid that's doing the running).

Last edited:
Permabanned
So is the adult breaking the law using a powered bicycle on a public footpath, (which I assume IS still illegal?) or is he riding it on the road? Not that I think you should interfere, but if you feel like making a citizen's arrest...?

Back
Top Bottom