Steam Summer Sale 2020

Associate
Same here, not surprised to be honest the sale prices are rubbish compared to a couple years ago. Some old games are actually more expensive now compared to 2010ish.

Caporegime
Just in case there's someone out there that hasn't got it, the Deus Ex Collection is on offer for £3.86!

Contains: Deus Ex GOTY; Invisible War; The Fall; Human Revolution; Mankind Divided.

Associate
Not many bigger games I wanted but got a load of retro games cheap.

SNK Arcade collection
Castlevania and Contra collections
Konami Arcade Collection
Raiden 3 and 4
Doom 64

Many of those were 70%+ off including 1 new game No More Heroes Returns. With the £5 back offer I got some good deals.

Caporegime
Sadly, where Doom 64 is concerned, I found the lack of key/controls customization and overall polish when compared to other total conversions, such as Doom 64 EX or Retribution, made it poor in comparison. :/

I'm all for Nightdive Studios but I was disappointed with this release.

Associate
I had the original Doom 64 cart and can't tell much difference but it's been 20 years.

It's only £1 so not a huge outlay, I'll check those mods/conversions out though.

Being totally honest I still prefer Doom 64 to the new Doom games, just feels more like an authentic doom game.

Also the Konami codes still work on the retro collections fat chance of me completing Contra without cheats.

Caporegime
True, it is only peanuts. :)

There are several versions out there; moddb is a good starting point/Doomworld is another site worth checking out.

Soldato
I found something I want to buy at a great price! Shame it's only Bloons TD6 for 71p, but I've had t on my phone for about six months, played it too much and spent nothing on it. So I owe them a tip at lease. Heartily recommended to anyone with a nasty tower defence habit to support.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Caporegime
I found something I want to buy at a great price! Shame it's only Bloons TD6 for 71p, but I've had t on my phone for about six months, played it too much and spend nothing on it. So I owe them a tip at lease. Heartily recommended to anyone with a nasty tower defence habit to support.

Seems like a nice tip. Overwhelming positive on Steam so that seals the deal for me.

Soldato
Seems like a nice tip. Overwhelming positive on Steam so that seals the deal for me.
I have just been reminded that the learning phase can be a bit annoying... lots of abilities you have to unlock and unless you cheat and go hunt for a tutorial it can be a bit frustrating finding strategies that work. And I keep having difficulty finding the mouse pointer on a busy desktop screen, which isn't an issue on the touch version. But I've found it as annoyingly 'one more attempt before I get on with my life' as any of the many tower defence time sinks I've drowned my free time in over the years. :)

Associate
I didnt see the message commenting on space games ... so I went with some 'different games'

warsaw - supposedly like a darkest dungeon but with nazis
stoneshard - indie game that is a rpg type of thing (who knows if its good but I enjoyed watching the lets play)
and 3 dlcs to grimdawn which I havnt even played yet lol - a review mentioned titan quest which was one of my favorite diablo clones so I figure why not. diablo 4 is actually looking like not a game Id like to play and I loved diablo 3.

Caporegime
Didn't even bother checking when the Steam "sale" was this year.

Discounts are virtually non-existent these days compared to the days of yore and the 90% discounts we enjoyed back then.

You're lucky to get 25% off these days. And they massively inflate the "pre-sale" price to pretend the discount is deeper than it really is. So you have a game that's been retailing for £15 for 6 months, then suddenly it's "75% off" at £10 :p No Steam, it wasn't £40 since release about 3 years ago :p

So yeah, I didn't check and I doubt I missed anything.

Associate
I don't think the discounts seem particularly worse than previous years but between previous sales & humble bundles, most of the good cheap games that I'm interested in are already in my library.
Those still on my wish list stay there until a silly big discount comes because I'm not going to get round to playing them for a decade anyway at the current rate!

Back
Top Bottom