Best full frame mirrorless

Soldato
I'm looking for a compact mirrorless to replace carting my Nikon DSLR around whilst on the move. The tech stuffed into them seems to be amazing these days.

What's the opinion, are there any stand out models I should be looking at? The Sony A series seems to pop up time and time again.

I've looked at a few top 10 guides and recent models but there's so many options...

Not after anything in the Leica territory, if I can spend £1k or under whilst retaining quality and that all important bokeh that would be great.

Are there any full frame variants or is it very much APS-C ?

Soldato
I went Fuji, image is great, small, regular firmware updates and very customisable. Lenses are magnificent.

i also got Canon Eos R, smaller than dslr but not as light s the Fuji system, buttons and stuff aren’t as customisable as Fuji.

i do like both systems though, don’t ask me how I ended up with two:)

go Fuji don’t look back

Soldato
Isn't he looking at full frame though? Where Fujifilm do not play, concentrating instead on APS-C and Medium format.

Most major players (Nikon, Canon, Sony & Panasonic) have full frame mirrorless cameras out now but you're probably realistically looking at second hand Sony A7 (pre MKIII) bodies for £1K. Actually looking at Amazon, it does look like the MKII can be had for £900 new.

However, the MKII autofocus is lacking compared to what Sony have managed since the MKIII and later.

I've seen Canon EOS RP going for around £1K second hand too. Looks like the Nikon Z6 is still £1.3K+ second hand.

Associate
Interested in what you think about the EOS R. Do you find it smaller enough that easy to carry about. I, like the OP, want something a little smaller, but having had full frame (6D) and gone back to APS-C (80D) ... I'm missing the full frame, but also finding the bulk of the 80D annoying too. Would the EOS R (or RP) go some way to reducing size, but gaining the full frame?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I went Fuji, image is great, small, regular firmware updates and very customisable. Lenses are magnificent.

Which model? I had a Fuji bridge back in the day, solid camera.

Looks like the Nikon Z6 is still £1.3K+ second hand.

What's your thoughts on the Z6 as an A7III contender? Seen lots of video reviews generally leaning towards Sony. Looks like a good bit of kit.

On the Z6 front, it would be good to use my Nikon lenses but the adapter looks a bit poor and I'm not sure it would support AF functionality. Could be better to start a fresh with Sony and go for some budget primes, seems to be plenty available?

Soldato
OP
Interested in what you think about the EOS R. Do you find it smaller enough that easy to carry about. I, like the OP, want something a little smaller, but having had full frame (6D) and gone back to APS-C (80D) ... I'm missing the full frame, but also finding the bulk of the 80D annoying too. Would the EOS R (or RP) go some way to reducing size, but gaining the full frame?

I've never quite gotten to grips with Canon cameras, not sure why, bit of brand loyalty to Nikon perhaps. I used the 5D quite extensively for a few weeks years ago, much preferred the Nikon interface and controls.

Soldato
The Canon Eos R is good, it's just the right size, it's easy to use. I like the manual focus check with the the triangles to work alongside focus peak.

Is not heavy and the grip is a good size for me.

I like the system.

I wouldn't look at any system just on body or if it is full frame or not.

I would be looking at the whole package with lens line up, ergonomics, system support and workflow in the field.

I've got a fuji xt2 with 10-24mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Its smaller than the R I prefer the controls on the fuji, I like that all buttons, dials and evf is fully customizable. I wish the hand grip was bigger is my only grip, which it is on the xt4 I believe.

The fuji gear is Everley and compact, light and will made. Why the hang up on full frame? I can't tell the difference once in capture one?

Quite a few landscape photographers use fuji, worth a look I say.

Soldato
I'm looking for a compact mirrorless to replace carting my Nikon DSLR around whilst on the move. The tech stuffed into them seems to be amazing these days.

What's the opinion, are there any stand out models I should be looking at? The Sony A series seems to pop up time and time again.

I've looked at a few top 10 guides and recent models but there's so many options...

Not after anything in the Leica territory, if I can spend £1k or under whilst retaining quality and that all important bokeh that would be great.

Are there any full frame variants or is it very much APS-C ?
What type of photography are you doing?

Oh forgot too add, I like the Eos R system as the RF lenses have anew control ring, which I use for aperture sort feels similar to my fuji.
Most of the Sony G and GM Master lenses have aperture control rings too. It’s pretty handy for video and also provides a retro feel for photos.

Soldato
OP
What type of photography are you doing?

Most of the Sony G and GM Master lenses have aperture control rings too. It’s pretty handy for video and also provides a retro feel for photos.

Nothing extraordinary, no fast action or exceptional low light requirements. Something I can use for personal(family, travel, city, landscape) and business(staff, conferences, events, customer case studies).

I'd like all rounder, a more discrete system that packs the capabilities of a DSLR that is solid enough to be carted everywhere for years to come.

I'll most likely stick a 35 or 50 prime on it for the majority of the time.

Since I posted this, the A7III keeps coming up time and time again - it seems it's a much more capable workhorse over the A7?

Soldato
Nothing extraordinary, no fast action or exceptional low light requirements. Something I can use for personal(family, travel, city, landscape) and business(staff, conferences, events, customer case studies).

I'd like all rounder, a more discrete system that packs the capabilities of a DSLR that is solid enough to be carted everywhere for years to come.

Since I posted this, the A7III keeps coming up time and time again - it seems it's a much more capable workhorse over the A7?
For me the entry level full frame options are the Sony A7 III or the Canon RP. I went for the Sony for the better auto focus and eye AF, which is super easy to use and gets the focus spot on, but the Canon is also a great camera.

It's worth watching this DP Review comparison between the Sony A7 III, Canon R and Nikon Z6 - it covers all of the stuff you need to know to make your choice :)

Soldato
I'm looking to go mirrorless one day but is the only way to better an old Nikon D610 24MP is to get a higher MP 35mm or go medium format, for landscapes?
High ISO quality does not interest me.

Caporegime

The A7III is the point where the A7 series got seriously good. The A7I had slow AF, the A7II improved on this but battery life and ergonomics weren't great, the A7III sorted those issues and AF is very impressive.

Soldato
I'm still using the A7 MkI and only irrational upgraditis would ever make me get rid of it. It takes outstanding pictures, the battery life and AF is good, not as good as a DSLR, but definitely not a problem with the subjects you're proposing.

I would just get the cheapest A7 you can find, spend the rest on a decent lens. Ultimately, the improvements on the later revisions aren't going to let you take better shots with the sort of subject matter you're shooting.

Looks like you can get the MkI for 700 new, MkII for 900.

Soldato
I agree about the lens, so long as the camera has an ok sized sensor the lens is by far the most important part & can cost way more than the camera.
Being as most photos only end up online or a small print then the ability to shoot at f16 or wide open & still maintain good quality I think is more important.
A compromise between sensor/lens depending on the pics you take.

Associate
I'm still using the A7 MkI and only irrational upgraditis would ever make me get rid of it. It takes outstanding pictures, the battery life and AF is good, not as good as a DSLR, but definitely not a problem with the subjects you're proposing.

I would just get the cheapest A7 you can find, spend the rest on a decent lens. Ultimately, the improvements on the later revisions aren't going to let you take better shots with the sort of subject matter you're shooting.

Looks like you can get the MkI for 700 new, MkII for 900.

I have an original A7 too, as I don't do videos it's more than capable of what I need, yes the AF is not as fast as the A7 iii, but then it was was nearly a third of the price and I couldn't afford a mark 3. I now have the Sony 24-105 f4 which spends 99% of the time on my camera and means I can now carry less gear about with me freeing me up to take more photos while carrying less weight. The kit lens is OK, the Zeiss 24-70 f4 is pretty soft and overpriced. The 24-105 is a superb jack of all trades lens, I bought mine second hand as they are slightly overpriced (as are all Sony lenses).

Dave

Soldato
I know your budget is £1k or less but I’d be inclined to either save a bit more and go for the Sony A7iii which is currently £1440 on Pana Moz (all one word) or go through PayPal and use their 0% finance option.

Also comes with a 3 year UK warranty.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to use any of your current Nikon lenses on the new camera then you need to stay with Nikon as the F-to-Z-mount adapter works well. The other option would be Sony. There are auto adapters for F-to-E-mount but they're poor compared with EF-to-E adapters and they're far from perfect.

Back
Top Bottom